U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-01-2013, 10:01 AM
 
331 posts, read 233,145 times
Reputation: 394
It's nonsessical to measure a city's cultural scene per square mile. So if west chelsea was its own city it would be the leading art city in the world? My foyer has more pieces of art per square foot than the louvre, does that mean I have one of the leading art institutions in the world? The fact that you think the Met and lincoln center equals nyc's cultural and art scene just shows you dont know what you are talking about.

Last edited by Arxis28; 06-01-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 560,839 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it even had more masterpieces per square mile than NYC but I don't have that info unfortunately.
Oh yes... if you also ignore (or pretend to ignore) the fact that the historical center of Florence is smaller than Central Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You are not comprehending. Having more artists, art students and people in fashion per square mile than NYC is not a supposition. It's reality. If a so-called "provincial city" can have a much higher concentration of professionals and talent in the field than NYC (albeit not to the same level as Milan and Paris), can NYC claim to be the leading city in the WORLD in arts and culture? #1 in both? That is the crucial point. Come on. It doesn't take a lot of IQ to figure that out.
Here we go again... do you have a link that proves your points?
I repeat the question: do you have a link that proves your points?
If not, I confirm that you are writing just suppositions, but this link may be helpful: http://www.languagemonitor.com/fashi...word-for-2013/
Anyway, you're still insisting that Florence (a small city of 360.000 inhabitants) is - as far as arts and culture are concerned - more important than NYC (a megalopolis of 8.400.000 inhabitants) because there should be a higher concentration of professionals and talent...
Considering that nothing significant has been made and built in Florence after the Renaissance, I guess that the higher concentration of professionals and talent isn't exactly helping the tuscan city to be more relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
And you are again falling into the same logical ad hominem trap like Henry. Saying that NYC is not the leading city in the world in arts and culture does not mean one does not like NYC. It's just stating the truth.
Oh yeah, you know the truth
Obviously NYC isn't number 1 on any field... but - come on - you are writing that Florence is more important than NYC for arts and culture as if we were still living in the 15th century
Do you realize that your statement is incredibly anachronistic?

Last edited by italianuser; 06-01-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 PM
 
4,704 posts, read 3,347,244 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Oh yes... if you also ignore (or pretend to ignore) the fact that the historical center of Florence is smaller than Central Park
Then it means the city punches more than its size in that arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Here we go again... do you have a link that proves your points?
I repeat the question: do you have a link that proves your points?
If not, I confirm that you are writing just suppositions, but this link may be helpful: ‘London’ is the Top Fashion Buzzword for 2013 | The Global Language Monitor
Anyway, you're still insisting that Florence (a small city of 360.000 inhabitants) is - as far as arts and culture are concerned - more important than NYC (a megalopolis of 8.400.000 inhabitants) because there should be a higher concentration of professionals and talent...
Considering that nothing significant has been made and built in Florence after the Renaissance, I guess that the higher concentration of professionals and talent isn't exactly helping the tuscan city to be more relevant.
Is a minimum level of IQ too much to ask from you? Where did I say that Florence > London in fashion? That is nowhere remotely relevant to what I've said.

Either you are getting lost or you are getting desperate, hence your strategy now is to digress. Unless you wish to backpedal.

And in the study of art, some real artists will argue that Florence IS more relevant than NYC and offers more to teach to the serious student depending on what you are studying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Oh yeah, you know the truth
Obviously NYC isn't number 1 on any field... but - come on - you are writing that Florence is more important than NYC for arts and culture as if we were still living in the 15th century
Do you realize that your statement is incredibly anachronistic?
Thank you for finally admitting that I am correct. New York City is not the leading city in the world in the arts. If only you stated this from the beginning then there would not have been anything more to argue about.

And yes, 15th century western art is still pretty much relevant centuries after as an academic topic in the arts, which is one reason why artists still travel to Florence to study. The naturalistic style espoused by the Florentine school paved the way for the realists of the 18th and 19th centuries and even the prewar art deco. But this is a digression, of course.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 PM
 
4,704 posts, read 3,347,244 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
It's nonsessical to measure a city's cultural scene per square mile. So if west chelsea was its own city it would be the leading art city in the world? My foyer has more pieces of art per square foot than the louvre, does that mean I have one of the leading art institutions in the world? The fact that you think the Met and lincoln center equals nyc's cultural and art scene just shows you dont know what you are talking about.
Yeah but people from around the world don't travel to your foyer to study art. And your foyer is not a city. We are talking about cities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
3,473 posts, read 1,832,380 times
Reputation: 2551
It's worthless to defend any of these positions because the original question is purely subjective anyway. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" certainly applies here. "World Class City" to a some could be a rust belt one-stoplight town who's single bar sells his favorite beer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Bronx
8,219 posts, read 6,998,372 times
Reputation: 3687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
It's nonsessical to measure a city's cultural scene per square mile. So if west chelsea was its own city it would be the leading art city in the world? My foyer has more pieces of art per square foot than the louvre, does that mean I have one of the leading art institutions in the world? The fact that you think the Met and lincoln center equals nyc's cultural and art scene just shows you dont know what you are talking about.
The Armpits of Rome and Paris has more art that your so called crummy foyer. Hell Romes and Paris sewers reek with Human feces since the days of Caesar has more art than your crummy foyer. NYC has only been the scene for modern art after world war 2 and will probably loose that title. NYC has nothing on Rome, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Florence, Venice, Marseille when it comes to art, people in these cities were making art since caveman days, well into the modern period. Hell NYC has to compete against New Orleans, Chicago and St Louis for Jazz scene. Its real great owning art and buying art off the street in NYC were artist think they are the next Andy Warhol or Pollack or Jaque Christo. Hopefully your foyer art works might be worth a million and draw thousands of hipsters across America to see these art pieces in your foyer. Gluten free Goat cheese and locally made wine anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Yeah but people from around the world don't travel to your foyer to study art. And your foyer is not a city. We are talking about cities.
I have to agree with you, sadly the system wont let me rep you. Ideally arxis 28 is clueless about his own beloved city.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-01-2013 at 06:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 05:51 PM
 
331 posts, read 233,145 times
Reputation: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The Armpits of Rome and Paris has more art that your so called crummy foyer. Hell Romes and Paris sewers reek with Human feces since the days of Caesar has more art than your crummy foyer. NYC has only been the scene for modern art after world war 2 and will probably loose that title. NYC has nothing on Rome, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Florence, Venice, Marseille when it comes to art, people in these cities were making art since caveman days, well into the modern period. Hell NYC has to compete against New Orleans, Chicago and St Louis for Jazz scene. Its real great owning art and buying art off the street in NYC were artist think they are the next Andy Warhol or Pollack or Jaque Christo. Hopefully your foyer art works might be worth a million and draw thousands of hipsters across America to see these art pieces in your foyer. Gluten free Goat cheese and locally made wine anyone?



I have to agree with you, sadly the system wont let me rep you.
Talk about missing the point. You must be another failed product of the NYC school system.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Bronx
8,219 posts, read 6,998,372 times
Reputation: 3687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Talk about missing the point. You must be another failed product of the NYC school system.
No, you're missing the point that NYC is no longer the sole capital of art these days.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: NY, NY (Home Base). Everywhere else as needed.
1,685 posts, read 655,045 times
Reputation: 1011
@ Daddy: I am not sure why people argue with you. Weren't you the one to measure one's culture by the take-out food and pizza slices? Now you wanna discuss European art-scene with educated europeans? And you question their IQs?

NYC kicked you out and you keep coming back here for validation of your departure. Give it up man. Go your separate way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 PM
 
7,268 posts, read 3,167,657 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No, you're missing the point that NYC is no longer the sole capital of art these days.
I don't think NYC was ever the capital of art. Art can be done anywhere. Besides, there are many different types of art.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top