U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,290,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
And if all cars are hydrogen powered, would you increase the subway fee and decrease the tolls?? Since hydrogen is 100% clean and the subway is not.
Perish that thought. If, glory be, all cars were hydrogen powered, I'd NOT increase the fares on hapless straphangers. I'd give motorists a tax credit on their federal returns and keep the tolls to build up a continued surplus for that budget item, as one must anticipate future rising costs of infrastructure. That would be a win-win situation for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Maybe from that surplus we use some for the trains and we help to keep motorists in check as cars whether hydrogen powered or not create an issue for us all here in the city.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM

2,742 posts, read 4,933,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Driving is not a necessity, either.
So you live in SI?
Because I would like to see you living in SI without a car.
Some part of SI you could make it, but not in most places.

Actually is a sad picture,
Everytime I go to PathMark I see people from the PJ taking taxis(because they dont have cars) and have to pay for taxis to do shopping.
Is easy for you, living in Manhattan and having money, is also easy for me having a car and money.
but in SI many poor family with cars, would have to pay 2, let me say that again 2 tolls to go to Manhattan.
And they are not cheap tolls.
Also a lot of people from NJ drive, and a lot of poor people also drive to Manhattan...
So dont think having a car means you are rich

Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 AM

Saten Islanders have access to buses, a train service, and a free ferry service - thanks to the kindness of fellow New Yorkers who'd like to discourage car usage there.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,273,175 times
Quote:
So you live in SI?
Because I would like to see you living in SI without a car.
Some part of SI you could make it, but not in most places.
Whether I live there is irrelevant.

The point is that, yes, it takes more time and planning, but a car is NOT a necessity. ANYWHERE in the metropolitan area. Owning a car is a luxury. There are so many other means of transport available. Including bicycles. Those other means are just not as convenient.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:

The point is that, yes, it takes more time and planning, but a car is NOT a necessity. ANYWHERE in the metropolitan area. Owning a car is a luxury. There are so many other means of transport available. Including bicycles. Those other means are just not as convenient.
Indeed! I guess in an uncanny way one can draw an analogy to the argument against regulated apartments - which I've heard here on these forums somewhere, sometime in the past by a bunch of its opponents.

Why should the rest of us pay for your privilege to drive a car when you could use a bike? No one has a right to a car in NYC.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 AM

And by "pay," I mean the social and environmental costs, not merely the financial issue.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Saten Islanders have access to buses, a train service, and a free ferry service - thanks to the kindness of fellow New Yorkers who'd like to discourage car usage there.
Yes, but do you know why they dont take the buss to do shopping,,
Try to buy some frozen food, and wait 30 min, for the bus, then wait 20 min to get to your house, and you tell me if you are going to eat the meat(or what ever frozen food). That is why they pay for taxis.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I guess you dont have an idea of how far is a supermarket from some part in SI.
SI is not like Manhattan where your market is 2 or 5 blocks away, it could easy be a lot and I mean a lot more, It take me about 10 min DRIVING, to get to my supermarket

Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM

11,151 posts, read 9,384,893 times
Quote:
I guess you dont have an idea of how far is a supermarket from some part in SI.
SI is not like Manhattan where your market is 2 or 5 blocks away, it could easy be a lot and I mean a lot more, It take me about 10 min DRIVING, to get to my supermarket

The fact that you choose to live so far from a supermarket is not our fault. Why should WE pay for your poor planning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City