Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:05 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,368 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite Brooklyn neighborhood???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
I don't know Brooklyn so well, but maybe areas east of Coney Island. Is it nice? Only seen it on Google street view and it looks ok.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I don't know Brooklyn so well, but maybe areas east of Coney Island. Is it nice?
Areas West, East, and North of Coney Island are nice. Coney is really just a ghetto island surrounded by nice areas on all sides.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,851 times
Brownsville, a popular choice on NYC forum.

I live in Bensonhurst, Al Sharpton could tell you that is the worst neighberhood in Brooklyn.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,213,961 times
I'm like, soooooooo over Brooklyn in general (?)

-hipster douche

Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Is Bensonhurst still heavily Italian-American?

Yeah, Al Sharpton had some rather unpleasant experience in the neighborhood.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 51,980 times
To live in, Park Slope. To visit once in a while, Coney Island (only b/c of the amusement park and the beach).

It's not too far out from all the businesses as other parts of Brooklyn. It has somewhat of a Manhattan feel to it. But it actually feels like a neighborhood you can live in. It's also not as pricey.

Prospect Park is nearby, which is like Brooklyn's Central Park. Prospect Hall is also in Park Slope. A major organic food co-op is based there, too. Don't forget about the Atlantic Center Mall (I'm not sure if it's in Park Slope (is it in Boerum Hill?); if not, then it's very close). Grand Army Plaza and Borough Hall are also pretty close.

The neighborhood is clean, friendly, and diverse. The distribution of races in the neighborhood as a whole is pretty even here. There are places in Brooklyn that usually have a clear majority (black, Jewish, Turkish, Middle Eastern, Polish, Russian, Chinese, etc.). Not this place.

For the most part, Park Slope is a neighborhood with a lot of upper class and middle class residents. It doesn't have city-housing (at least not as much) as other places in Brooklyn (i.e. Bed-Stuy, East New York). It's safe for the most part (like all places in NY it has crime, but usually there is nothing that looks too shady or so scary that you wouldn't walk alone at night).

And yes, Bensonhurst is heavily Italian-American from what I hear. There used to be a mafia presence there. I don't know if there still is. My mother said that people would be afraid to go there in the 80s (it was dangerous). Nevertheless, you can see Turks, Jews, and Russians around there, or at least in the surrounding neighborhoods. I don't think it's as Italian as it used to be. But I've only been around Bensonhurst; I've never actually walked through the neighborhood.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
What is your favorite Brooklyn neighborhood???

I grew up in Boro Park, on the flatbush side. Today if you're a modern orthodox jew or conservative Jew, you wont fit in cause of your wild lifestyle - its mostly all ultraorthodox jews now.

If I had a billion dollars and needed to live in Brooklyn, I think I would pick either Park Slope or Brooklyn heights. I think the slope is nicer in many ways, but cant beat the views from the heights houses on the promenade, I guess.

bensonhurst has a growing chinese population I think.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,312 times
Park Slope, The Heights, Dyker Heights aside, there are pockets of really nice neighborhoods all over Brooklyn now. Look at Windsor Terrace, Kensington, Bay Ridge, DUMBO (Down Underneath the Manhattan Bridge Overpass - trendy), Williamsburgh, Carroll Gardens, parts of Red Hook. The list is almost endless.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM

28 posts, read 67,903 times
I guess Park Slope is the nicest... Queens is more my shindig.

My favorite neighborhood is Brighton, but that's cause a large majority of my friends live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City