U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 PM

19 posts, read 27,359 times
Default What are the Best Neighboorhoods in NY for Large Dogs

I have two Large Dogs one German Shepard and the other a Rottiwelier there home trained very friendly dogs btw. What are the best areas & rentals, Apartments, Condo's and etc in Manhattan that are pet friendly I came across a few places that won't even accept specifically there breed/type.
And are there any neighborhoods with backyards where they can run around and poop I saw a brownstone in Harlem that looked decent although small yet
I'm considering other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 AM

7,081 posts, read 23,301,324 times
Many apartments have restrictions on the size of dogs that can live there. A German shepherd and a rottweiler won't be welcome at those buildings, but there's no specific area where they're more likely to be welcome.

Most brownstones are either privately owned or divided into rentals and if you don't rent/own the ground floor, access to the garden usually doesn't go with the housing. And if you have a building with a common garden, dogs are often not permitted. And if dogs ARE permitted in a common garden, you'd have to ensure they don't 'do' anything there.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic but that's the reality of large dogs in NYC. There are some wonderful buildings that allow dogs of all sizes, but that usually comes with a premium rent.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 AM

Pls Share about these wonderful buildings that allow dogs of all sizes, I wouldn't mind paying more for my beloveit pets!,

I was checking out these two places, share your opinions on it - Rental, For Rent Manhattan Harlem $10,000 and Rental, For Rent Manhattan Harlem $10,000 (They allow pets)

I have a question is the rent for the whole building or a portion? and hows Harlem address/neighborhood if your familiar with the area?

If that dosen't work I'll go with my other options that's probably more conducive to own a house in the NY tri-state areas

Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 AM

I would check the NY Times real estate search (for rentals).

On 57th St. and First Ave (400 East 57th St) is a rental building that permits all sizes of dogs. And there are many others. You just have to look.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM

That's where I found those two listings originally.
I googled 57th St. and First Ave (400 East 57th St)Is that the hudson I wish they had something with at least 4 bedrooms I need alot of space.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 PM

9,189 posts, read 14,438,307 times
Trump Place is pet friendly if you don't mind living on the UWS. It's on Riverside Drive in the higher 80s, and is a complex of newer buildings with great river and/or city views amid landscaped grounds and with proximity to Riverside Park. The 3BRs are about 1800 square feet or so, not huge, but well planned with a large MBR suite an open living/dining room arrangement. If memory serves, the buildings are managed by Equity, so you would not need to pay a broker's fee.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:24 PM

9,189 posts, read 14,438,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitoNY View Post
Pls Share about these wonderful buildings that allow dogs of all sizes, I wouldn't mind paying more for my beloveit pets!,

I was checking out these two places, share your opinions on it - Rental, For Rent Manhattan Harlem $10,000 and Rental, For Rent Manhattan Harlem $10,000 (They allow pets)

I have a question is the rent for the whole building or a portion? and hows Harlem address/neighborhood if your familiar with the area?

If that dosen't work I'll go with my other options that's probably more conducive to own a house in the NY tri-state areas
The buildings look like they could really work, but Manhattan above Mount Sinai on the east side and 110th on the UWS is still an area of transition. Some blocks are great, and others are not. Of the two, I'd stick with Brownstone Harlem on 118th.

I would not recommend the second property because it's closer to St. Nicholas Park/CUNY- City College, which is a neigborhod that has its share of problems, especially at night. There are several projects in the immediate vicinity.

There are projects on 112th at 5th as well, close to the first house, but the first house is closer to the UWS and you could avoid heading towards 5th, but there are still parts of the immediate area that are transitional. You're also close to the north end of Central Park, which can be great for dogs, too, but at night, I'd be cautious about walking around the neighborhood, which is something that one has to take into account in many areas, even the good ones.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitoNY View Post
That's where I found those two listings originally.
I googled 57th St. and First Ave (400 East 57th St)Is that the hudson I wish they had something with at least 4 bedrooms I need alot of space.
FOUR bedrooms? You'd be better off outside Manhattan. You never mentioned your budget or whether you're buying or renting. That information would help us help you much more.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM

7,527 posts, read 12,703,725 times
A lot of the landlords in Wash Heights don't seem to care too much about bigger dogs, or if they do you can usually "work something out," with the super . Also some of those apartments out there are huge so they are better suited for large dogs.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A lot of the landlords in Wash Heights don't seem to care too much about bigger dogs, or if they do you can usually "work something out," with the super . Also some of those apartments out there are huge so they are better suited for large dogs.

Hows the neighborhood is it safe? ghetto-like? near shopping, parks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: