U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 PM

67 posts, read 206,236 times

Advertisements

Which of the 3 big airports in the New York metropolitan area is the best? JFK, Liberty International or La Guardia? Consider Transport, Service, Facilities, Competence of the staff, Delays and overall impression...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,420,127 times
For me, it's a toss up between LGA and JFK, with Newark a distant third. My favorite of the commercial airports in HPN, Westchester County, since it's smaller. Given the congested airspace, I do not count on stellar on-time performance out of any of the NYC area airports.

Transport options to the airports are pretty good, overall, but I either drive or have a driver, so I'd be hard-presssed to make the connections via public transit. I could do it if I had to, but I have never done so.

Of the three majors, Newark has been an awful experience for me anytime that I have had to fly in and out of there, such that I avoid it completely if at all possible. This is due to a few factors, not the least of which being phantom delays that seem to plague the airport when the other two are not nearly as bad. Then again, I do try to avoid peak hours when one is more likely to encounter delays, but I will deal with afternoon/evening travel at LGA and JFK to avoid Newark.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM

18 posts, read 85,544 times
None of them!!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:20 PM

30 posts, read 151,200 times
Default You should change your question

They all suck. They by far are one of the worst airports in the nation with lazy staff that run things nearly indentical to some really crappy developing nations.

The question you should ask is "which is the least worst airport in the nyc area ?"

All 3 airports are owned by the Port Authority, so you get the same people.

Here is the fatal flaws in all three

LGA: Horrible arrivals area next to the baggage claim. Worst of all no direct train to Manhattan. Also within certain terminals you have to go for long walks through elevators and escalators.

JFK: Terrible parking and passenger situation situation since they make you walk or drive around the whole airport. It makes things worse when you have to pick up an elderly person. And some of the people that handle transporting elderly are scum since they demand super tips for transporting them to the parking garage. They should be ashamed of themselves. Lets not forget the good old Van Wyck. And you have to transfer trains in Jamaica Station to get to Manhattan which is very backward. They could have made one dedicated Air Train Line, but chose to be cheap skates.

EWR: The fact that it's in Jersey hurts. While it has a simple design with 3 terminals, it honestly is a pain to pay so many tolls on the NJTP even with E-Z Pass. The rail situation is similiar. You have to transfer in Newark Airport Station

Hopefully more airlines will make Westchester County (HPN)the 4th airport and Stewart the 5th or vise versa so they can at least put more domestic non-stop flights inside, thereby relieving congestion and delays at the other aiports. Problem is there idiots that say "not in my backyard". Eminent domain needs to be used more often.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM

31 posts, read 123,643 times
The toll on NJTP is only $1.40, and at least Newark has a direct train line to midtown unlike JFK & LaGuardia which are also further distancewise. Just because its another state doesnt automatically make it further away.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,876,497 times
Well from SI, Newark is the best choice.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:39 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,031,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taalman1 View Post
...has a direct train line to midtown unlike JFK & LaGuardia...
Newark doesn't have a direct train either. Taking the NJT and the Airtrain Newark doesn't constitute as "direct". Same thing can be done at JFK, taking their Airtrain to the LIRR straight to Midtown.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,730,788 times
the term favorite and NYC airport just dont belong in the same sentence together

a better question would be which airport do you hate the least

Old 12-12-2008, 08:58 PM

536 posts, read 2,138,919 times
MacArthur!

But JFK is convenient to me so I use it exclusively... the once every five years I fly...

Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,211,511 times
sucide, terminal death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or