U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM

10,491 posts, read 13,978,310 times

Advertisements

What is the amount of square feet that you want in an apartment? For example how big is the bedroom, living area, kitchen, bath room. What amenities could you not live without? I want to know what your expectations are in an apartment. What changes would you make if you were married or have children? Is 500 square feet acceptable or do you need 2,000 square feet? Are you single or married? How much space would you need if you have kids? What I want to know is what is acceptable to New Yorkers for a living area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 02:21 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,421,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What I want to know is what is acceptable to New Yorkers for a living area.
Unless you live here, you'd be surprised how much one can do with a closet measuring 350 square feet.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,594,469 times
Studio apartment: 450 square feet
One bedroom apartment: 650 square feet
Two bedroom apartment: 850 square feet

For a couple with one child, I would say that 850-1000 square feet would be ideal. I grew up in a 1070 square foot space with two parents and a sister and it is totally manageable. It blows my mind that there are families in places like Atlanta and Las Vegas who want more space when they already live in 3000 square foot homes!

Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM

91 posts, read 278,468 times
I'm single and will be living with my girlfriend. I am fine with a place that looks like one of those Ikea demo rooms but she wants *space*! I feel like our apartment hunt will be a compromise between me wanting to stay affordable and in a good location with her desire for lots of space. So far I have been placating her with talk of how lots of the smaller places have loft storage above the bedroom

Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM

61 posts, read 153,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
I'm single and will be living with my girlfriend. I am fine with a place that looks like one of those Ikea demo rooms but she wants *space*! I feel like our apartment hunt will be a compromise between me wanting to stay affordable and in a good location with her desire for lots of space. So far I have been placating her with talk of how lots of the smaller places have loft storage above the bedroom
I feel like your apartment hunt will end with her being disappointed.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM

Well, she won't listen to me when I try to explain how big the average places are. I feel like as long as we can find something in the 550-650sf range it will be OK. If the layout and location are good I imagine something smaller will work as well. She is just annoyed at having to get rid of things whereas I see it as a good chance to simplify and make some money yard-sale style. When we come down to hang out next weekend I seriously need to go out to a bar, strike up a conversation with someone and get them to explain things to her. Maybe we will even get a first-hand look at a well-furnished small apartment.

I feel like as long as I look around and have cash and references in hand there are deals to be had these days. I just ran across another rental by owner at 88th and Broadway. 700sf and $2200/month. She could even keep her king sized bed.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM

907 posts, read 2,125,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
Maybe we will even get a first-hand look at a well-furnished small apartment.
If your here for the weekend you should check out a few open houses.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm thinking about it. I've debated emailing/calling some of these landlords on craigslist because I'm really curious how they stack up to their ads. I've been looking at one nice ~700sf place at 88th and Broadway for $2200. Location looks good. 2 blocks to the subway, 2.5 long blocks to the park. Just within my range. I wonder how it actually looks when you get inside

Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
If your here for the weekend you should check out a few open houses.
They don't have open houses for rentals...good ones go so quickly they'd never make it through the first hour! For those looking to buy, this can be a good way to see how big 500 square feet really is!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 PM

10,491 posts, read 13,978,310 times
It blows my mind that there are families in places like Atlanta and Las Vegas who want more space when they already live in 3000 square foot homes![/quote]
I think most of the people in the south western states buy and build bigger homes all the time. That is how I grew up as well. My parents added on to the home a couple times. In my part of California a small home is in the 1,300 range. Most people seem to want at least 2,000 or more square feet. Lets say you have a 4 bedroom 3 bath home with a family room, living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry room, and a home office chances are you will want 2,000 square feet easy.

Apartment sizes seem to be comparable though. My last place was a 900 square foot 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment. ($1540 a month)

What about holiday parties? How do you have a gathering in a place that is 500 square feet? I guess you all have the parking thing down though, Not sure how many people need a car in New York City area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City