Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 14,166 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into New York City and am wondering how much it costs the average person to eat. I'm trying to get my budget under control and wanted to know if my goals were unrealistic. In the past (living in Whiteplains, NY) I spent about $50 a week on groceries and almost never ate out. Here in the city I am not getting nearly the same bang for my buck and it seems like eating out is unavoidable.

I don't mind having to be thrifty to save some money, I just wanted to see how much the lower end of the cost of eating for most new yorkers is like. Groceries + lunch during the work week as well as a few special nights.

Also if anyone has ideas for me to cut these costs down I would be grateful. I appreciate the advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 02:03 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,735 times
I've been trying to stick to a budget, eliminating all my credit cards and relying soley on cash these days ... Eating healthy has always been my focus and for a while I was going all organic, however, recently, going organic has been costing me, a single girl, a whopp'n $90.00-120.00 a week in food so I have gone back to eating normal non-organic and now my bill is about 65.00-80.00 a week. I'm pretty frugal and hate spending money on lunch so I bag it everyday- (Love my salads,) but I do enjoy eating out and at nice restaurants so that adds in ... It's helpful to make a big meal and put away leftovers for a few days- Or use a slow-cooker and put some extras away with that ...

May I come back wealthy in my next life- PLEASE ?!

Cheers !

Michele

Old 12-12-2008, 02:32 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
Hmmm, i dont know where your money is going...
I am a family of 3, I waste about 90-120 each week on Pathmart.
And every month about 150 dollars in Costco.
You should be ok with 80 dollars week.
We do eat out, and sometimes a lot.(and I mean a lot.) but other weeks we dont even go out.
In Costco you can get a bag of 10 pounds of boneless(all meat) breast chicken for 15 dollars or so.
That bag should last you for a lot more then a week.
Also get some ground meat, in costco for 20 dollars also you will get about 5 pounds of meat. That would be for at least 5 days of meatballs, meatloaf, or "picadillo" HMMM.
Then get a few steaks for about 5 dollars a pound or a nice Rib eye for 6 dollar a pound and eat that when you are craving meat(for me is almost every night.)
And only go the supermarket to buy coke, and other stuff...
With about 60 dollars you have all the meat, chicken and pork that you need for a month.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
I don't understand: why is eating out 'unavoidable?' Is someone forcing you to eat out?

Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 PM

Oh, and for 15 dollars also, you can get a big bag of Italian sausages.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 14,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I don't understand: why is eating out 'unavoidable?' Is someone forcing you to eat out?
I spend a lot more time out of the house living in NYC, its so tempting to just get a bite while I'm out. It might be worth the time planning out my lunches and brown bagging it to work.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootshorty View Post
It might be worth the time planning out my lunches and brown bagging it to work.
That's what a LOT of us do. Spending even $5/day on lunch is $100/month that could be used for something else!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:43 PM

When I was a Medical Student, I would cook extra rice, and extra food, for next day lunch..
Maybe something that you should be doing.
If in your work place you have a microwave and a refrigerator you could do it.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:45 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,735 times
Eating out is fun, however, eating home is actually healthier for you! You know what's going into your food, the portions are human size, and you don't gorge yourself like a hippo.

And, I would LOVE to know how you guys spend $5.00 a day on lunch. The times I do buy my lunch, never does it cost me less than $10.00- That's a salad, grilled chicken and soy milk. Tonight I'm going to happy hour- Ack !! More money ...

Michele

Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
And, I would LOVE to know how you guys spend $5.00 a day on lunch. The times I do buy my lunch, never does it cost me less than $10.00- That's a salad, grilled chicken and soy milk. Tonight I'm going to happy hour- Ack !! More money ...
We have a company cafeteria...that's how we can spend $5 for lunch - IF we use the cafeteria, which I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City