Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:12 PM

486 posts, read 984,016 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I'm new on the forums but lived in the Bronx most of my life. I lived on Creston Avenue/180th Street for over 15 years and honestly would not even look back. (To me is one of the worst areas in the Bronx in terms of noise, drugs and violence). That said, I also lived in East Boston, MA and Woburn, MA and now I'm back in the Bronx in the Yankee Stadium area. I like the fact is quiet, but my car (which is a regular Hyundai Tucson!!) Has been vandalized 3 (YES THREE!) times in a little under 18 months. (the first time I blamed myself since I left it parked on 158th and Courtland right behind a small dark park. That time they stole my passanger side mirror. The second time I parked along 162nd street & Park Avenue, this time they actually broke into my car and stole my registration!!! I went to the police station and reported it immediately. The last time they vandalized my car was last Monday, it was parked on Park avenue in front of the Church (people have no shame!), and this time they stole my driver side mirror!!

Anyway, I felt the need to give a little background information on me before submitting my thread since I'm asking for advise. I have been saving up to buy a single family or 2-family house in the Bronx. Not because I love the Bronx but because my family does and for the most part, I'm trying to afford them better quality of life. (My parents and 13 year old brother). I would like to hear what you guys think about or what areas of the Bronx you would recommend. Here are the basics:
My mom works in Inwood (Dyckman ave) my brother is going to High School next year and we think he will end up going to School in the Fordham Rd area. I work close to the Madison Sq Garden. We all need to be able to access our jobs/schools easily from the house. My job or commute don't concern me as much as I am very flexible, but my brother and mom need to be able to get to their destination in a reasonably fast fashion. (Under an hour, and my brother says he would prefer 30 mins, or less since school will start at 7:30AM for him, Preppy small school). Our current location is convinient since we take the D train, my mom takes the 6 bus and then the 1 train and we all get to work/school in 35-55 mins. I have considered the following neighborhoods, for our house:

Pelham Pwy
Parkchester
Soundview
Williamsburg
Wakefield
Woodlawn
Norwood
Bedford park
Riverdale (I know, I'm dreaming...lol)

I have also been pleasantly surprised by some of the very nice houses on (longwood Ave & 172nd street and other nearby streets, but know absolutely nothing about that area other than I have a friend who lived around there most of his life and really likes it).
My price range was unreasonable last year when I first started looking but I honestly think is looking much better since prices has gone down quite a bit.

I'm looking at 399K or so. I would rather have a 2-family for 399K and 1 family for 299K but I know that could be wishful thinking.
Any ideas? Anyone lives in a location you would recommend. Also, I don't want to park on the street anymore so, I would prefer a house with at the very least, a small driveway. Any communities, streets or areas you would recommend?

Thanks to all of you in advance for reading my long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,486 times
Maybe the Pelham Parkway area since your mom and brother could take just one bus without switching to get to Fordham and Inwood. Your commute could be more difficult since most of the subway lines take you to the east side instead of the west and then you'd have to go across town. I do think that even with the faster select bus service on Fordham Road, the buses at rush hour are quite crowded, so may not be the most pleasant experience for your mom or brother.

Perhaps Bedford Park (my neighborhood) or Parkchester would be the next most convenient location. Don't think you could do Riverdale or even Woodlawn on that budget--maybe could get close to 400,000 for a single family in Woodlawn.

I don't know that much about Williamsbridge, Wakefield or Soundview, so I couldn't comment. Good luck with your search, and let us know what you find.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
I do think that even with the faster select bus service on Fordham Road, the buses at rush hour are quite crowded, so may not be the most pleasant experience for your mom or brother.
I know exactly what you mean, I went to High School on Fordham Rd in the 90s and it was so crowded I almost never took the bus and simply walked to the concourse or even all the way home!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM

By the way, any streets in particular I should look for in Bedford Park? I haven't had much luck trying to find available houses in that area, mostly co-ops is what I keep running into. Any suggestions are gladly appreciated. Also I failed to say thanks for the tips Peter.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 PM

You're very welcome gf1025. Best to stay between Bedford Park Blvd. and Mosholu Parkway - between Webster and Grand Concourse. I can't tell you too much about buying houses, we have a co-op, but I'll keep my eyes open for any for sale signs. Actually come to think of it, there is a house for sale on Marion Avenue between Mosholu and Bedford Park Blvd. - actually it's had a for sale sign for a while, but it's sandwiched between two other buildings so might not be the ideal situation. However, I can get you the contact info if you want. I think the nicest street in the neighborhood is Perry between 201 and Bedford Park, but I haven't seen any for sale signs there lately.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Pete,
Sure, if you can get me the information that would be awesome. Thanks! I'll take a drive up to Bedford park soon to start looking for signs.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 PM

I'll PM you that info gf1025.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,621 times
Woodlawn is a mostly Irish community in the bronx. You may not fit in here unless your Irish.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 AM

142 posts, read 516,623 times
Your post reminded me of why I sold my car a few years ago.
Back in 2000, I bought a Honda Accord 94. I lived in the Fordham - Kingsbridge area. The few times I parked my car on the street near my apt, it got broken in numerous times. I then paid monthly to park my car in the municipal garage on Jerome-Kingsbridge area. With security, people still managed to steal the wheel caps, the logo, and whatever they could.
I then parked it in my building underground garage that accessible only to people with keys. Somehow, it still got broken in.

I'm just so tired of it and sold it in 2003. I understand that thieves like Honda accord but the fact that your Hyundai got broken into 3 times say a lot about the current situation.

I still see smashed windows on the sidewalks from time to time. It's ridiculous to have a car and wake up to find this happen to you, time and again.

That's why I never want to buy a car again as long as I still live in the Bronx. I'm planning to buy one family house in Riverdale with indoor garage. Then I would think about owning car again.

Good luck with your search. Thought I could share my car misery so you don't feel bad.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,063 times
There are a lot of New Construction two and three family homes going up in the Pelham Parkway area around Allerton, Hone, Paulding, and Laconia avenues. Very quiet area, and close to the Bx12 to Fordham, not sure of the price of the homes, but I lived in the area for five years, and always felt safe, you may want to check it out, also with interest rates dropping below 5% for 30yr fixed, you may want to make the move to purchase very soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City