Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times

Advertisements

I like Coach, but you can get a VERY good knockoff in Chinatown for less than 50.00 so therefore, I'd never pay full price. Now, if someone wants to buy one as a gift- I won't decline. I just think I have better things to spend my money on than a overpriced designer bag that after one season won't ever come out of my closet again ... LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
I use to LOVE Louie Vuitton and so I finally bought one- After 1 season, the LVs annoyed me and honestly, it's in my closet. I hate to part with it since it was 699.00, but it's just ugly now. They should pay us to advertise their logos.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Thank you all for the replies. Also for the gift ideas. Never heard of the Goyard brand Clevedark. I will have to check it out. Everything to keep my beautiful wife happy. Not too into entry level automobiles. In as much as it was brought up by Quelinda, I see Saab, Volvo, Lexus, Infinity, and the like as very entry level. They are good cars and will get you from point A to point B but in my part of the world between Santa Barbara and Malibu they will never get you a prime parking spot at your favorite eating establishment or club.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I like Coach, but you can get a VERY good knockoff in Chinatown for less than 50.00 so therefore, I'd never pay full price. Now, if someone wants to buy one as a gift- I won't decline. I just think I have better things to spend my money on than a overpriced designer bag that after one season won't ever come out of my closet again ... LOL!
Well the only point in buying one in Chinatown would be if you want to flash the logo.

I paid a hefty price for a Prada basic leather handbag 6 years ago and it is INCREDIBLY well made and still looks new. You're not going to get that in Chinatown.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Well the only point in buying one in Chinatown would be if you want to flash the logo.

I paid a hefty price for a Prada basic leather handbag 6 years ago and it is INCREDIBLY well made and still looks new. You're not going to get that in Chinatown.
I agree the quality of the Chinatown knock-offs is horrible. I definitely wouldn't carry a fake bag around. I require real leather and nice designs that are the color, size and strap length I am seeking, it just doesn't matter the designer to me. I usually spend around $90 to $350 for a bag. That Prada bag DOES sound worth it though, maybe I should consider that! How much was the bag or what do they usually run?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I agree the quality of the Chinatown knock-offs is horrible. I definitely wouldn't carry a fake bag around. I require real leather and nice designs that are the color, size and strap length I am seeking, it just doesn't matter the designer to me. I usually spend around $90 to $350 for a bag. That Prada bag DOES sound worth it though, maybe I should consider that! How much was the bag or what do they usually run?
I don't shop there on a regular basis, but about twice a year, Neiman Marcus has a big sale, and I always check it out. This is a medium sized basic, black leather handbag, as I wanted a bag that I can use for years (I buy cheaper bags if it's just a trendy type bag). It was $1k marked down to $500. It still looks brand new and is very durable.

Another place I check out a lot is Saks off Fifth, the Saks outlet. I get 25% off coupons all the time and you can find bags that were originally $1500 marked down to say, $500, and then you can also use the 25% off coupon! I buy all my designer jeans there and usually pay $90 instead of $250.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I think that the Goyard is older than Louis Vuitton, and they are top quality. Excellent recommendation, clevedark. I think that the Goyard bags my mother owns are coveted as much as her vintage and reissue Chanel 2.55 bags.

Prada, from what I recall, generally run from about $1100 on up for the decent size bags, not the smaller models.

LOL...I know it's funny to have a guy commenting on the bags, but I have bought a good number as gifts. And, I am going strong, never a return or exchange from anyone to whom I have given a good bag. One recipient actually changed her bag upon opening the gift and still carries it as her daily bag to this day, four years later, still looking as good as the day she got it.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
I don't shop there on a regular basis, but about twice a year, Neiman Marcus has a big sale, and I always check it out. This is a medium sized basic, black leather handbag, as I wanted a bag that I can use for years (I buy cheaper bags if it's just a trendy type bag). It was $1k marked down to $500. It still looks brand new and is very durable.

Another place I check out a lot is Saks off Fifth, the Saks outlet. I get 25% off coupons all the time and you can find bags that were originally $1500 marked down to say, $500, and then you can also use the 25% off coupon! I buy all my designer jeans there and usually pay $90 instead of $250.
A friend of mine always gets good things at the Last Call outlet center, but she shops for timeless designs. I have found that the main store with the sale offers more selection and good prices as opposed to the Last Call, since I have found merchandise in the Last Call that I would not associate with NM. The White Plains and Short Hills stores are especially good for the sale.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
A friend of mine always gets good things at the Last Call outlet center, but she shops for timeless designs. I have found that the main store with the sale offers more selection and good prices as opposed to the Last Call, since I have found merchandise in the Last Call that I would not associate with NM. The White Plains and Short Hills stores are especially good for the sale.
Yes, I go to the White Plains NM for the sale. I'm not a fan of Last Call. Saks Off Fifth has a much better selection.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:

OMG $500 is a steal! When does NM have these biannual sales??!

I generally stay well out of Saks on Fifth because I find most of the clothes ugly and the place is too packed with mismatched older items that I can't be bothered looking through. But hey, I never checked out their bags and will next time I'm out by my mom's (right near 2 outlet malls). Oh and where did you sign up for the Saks outlet coupons? Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City