U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:33 PM

2,742 posts, read 4,741,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That's a media generalization for parts of LA and Orange County, but is certainly not indicative of any of my experiences in some of the nicer areas of SoCal. practically all of San Diego, Rancho Santa Fe, San Juan Capistrano, parts of Irvine, Yorba Linda, parts of the PV Peninsula, etc. are all indicative of the opposite characteristic. And, there are desert and mountain communities, too, that are not pretentious at all, even if they are filled with wealthy second home owners. Some people may be a little ostentatious, but certainly not all. Then, there are some superficial cities, but I agree that it's an unfair generalization to lump everything south of Santa Barbara as the land of plastic people and shallow values.

It's the same as people who generalize all New Yorkers to be rude and impatient, when that's actually a very small population who are that nasty. Just as the nasty New Yorker is not a proper characterization of all the people who live in NYC, the vapid beach bum/skate rat of SoCal is not indicative of everyone who lives there.
Hmmm I dont know, everytime I think of south California, Nancy Palocy comes to my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,070,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Hmmm I dont know, everytime I think of south California, Nancy Palocy comes to my mind.
Well that is a positive thought.

Some do find Nancy Pelosi to be a beautiful, well-mannered, intelligent, firm but yet sweet woman, if I may say so myself!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:40 PM

9,189 posts, read 14,453,393 times
Quote:
She originally hails from Baltimore, MD and now makes her home in the Bay Area, not SoCal. SoCal is Duncan Hunter territory.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Well that is a positive thought.

Some do find Nancy Pelosi to be a beautiful, well-mannered, intelligent, firm but yet sweet woman, if I may say so myself!
Sorry Miles, I see the opposite in Nancy.
Well-mannered, after her famous speech?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM

5,555 posts, read 3,942,435 times
New Yorkers: Direct - never passive-aggressive. They let you know where you stand and are willing to speak up/out. They've witnessed all kinds of life and are not naive. They have a big heart and are very loyal. They tend to be impatient because of the crowds who get in their way - they don't suffer fools well and will let you know it. They ridicule with affection. Their sense of humor is hyperbolic.

I speak for myself here as a native New Yorker.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry Miles, I see the opposite in Nancy.
Well-mannered, after her famous speech?
I voted Republican but it doesn't mean I can't admire a feisty opponent - like yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
She originally hails from Baltimore, MD and now makes her home in the Bay Area, not SoCal. SoCal is Duncan Hunter territory.
I think she represent San Francisco.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I voted Republican but it doesn't mean I can't admire a feisty opponent - like yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, I admire a lot of democrats.
But Nancy with her speech of unit and in the same sentence saying bad things about the other party...
Is like me saying lets all be friends, it doesnt matter that you guys are the evil of this country and the problem of this country. We still have to unit, even if your views are stupid or un-educated.
Oh, I am really happy you voted republican

Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,970,751 times
What I do find interesting about new yorkers is that they Hold doors open for people...but will pass you by as you lie bleeding??

Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
What I do find interesting about new yorkers is that they Hold doors open for people...but will pass you by as you lie bleeding??
no my friend, what you perceive as us passing you by is really us trying to hail an ambulance for you!!!!! take off those blinders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City