Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:26 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times

Advertisements

Lol. ^^^ You know they said that the truth hurts. All I'm saying is this: If 9-11 would of happen in Chicago, not only would they of rebuilt the Sears Towers ( and possibly taller ) they might of had it done by the 5 year anniversary with a proper memorial for the victims.

This isn't about seeing the towers rebuilt, it about NYC's sluggish responce to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Lol. ^^^ You know they said that the truth hurts. All I'm saying is this: If 9-11 would of happen in Chicago, not only would they of rebuilt the Sears Towers ( and possibly taller ) they might of had it done by the 5 year anniversary with a proper memorial for the victims.

This isn't about seeing the towers rebuilt, it about NYC's sluggish responce to it.
I dont see why we have to re-build the towers, frankly. I miss them whenever I look at the skyline from downtown. But they can never be replaced. Build a memorial park and just move on with things instead of thinking winning against the terrorists means we need to build those towers again. That is just not possible unfortunately as the new buildings will never be the old ones and will never contain all of the poor people who died in them. And personally, I would never work for a company that had offices in there. Too much of a target on our back in a city that is already a target.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default I grew up "in" Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I grew up in Manhattan and always said "in LI". That's cuz I never considered it an island. Same way, no one says I'm on Manhattan, even though it is also an island. I only hear people who are from LI refer to it that way.
but I always said "on" LI, same as on the corner, on line (not computers). I lived "in" Queens, also. Maybe it all came about to distinguish parts of NYC from the counties of Nassau and Suffolk (Long Island)? Language changes with different generations too. Maybe?

I have been living in Florida for the past year and a half. I still consider myself a New Yorker. I spent the first 22 years of my life in Manhattan, then 10 years in Queens, and almost 20 years on LI. While I was living on LI, I still considered myself a "NYC girl". I think with all that time I qualify as a New Yorker. Besides, as my Dad used to say, "You can take the boy/girl out of New York, but you will never take New York out of the boy/girl." Anyway, my heart is in New York and always will be. They get very mad here in Florida when I say all this.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:39 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
but I always said "on" LI, same as on the corner, on line (not computers). I lived "in" Queens, also. Maybe it all came about to distinguish parts of NYC from the counties of Nassau and Suffolk (Long Island)? Language changes with different generations too. Maybe?

I have been living in Florida for the past year and a half. I still consider myself a New Yorker. I spent the first 22 years of my life in Manhattan, then 10 years in Queens, and almost 20 years on LI. While I was living on LI, I still considered myself a "NYC girl". I think with all that time I qualify as a New Yorker. Besides, as my Dad used to say, "You can take the boy/girl out of New York, but you will never take New York out of the boy/girl." Anyway, my heart is in New York and always will be. They get very mad here in Florida when I say all this.
Oh yes, growing up in NYC for 22 years definitely qualifies you as a through and through New Yorker forever. I totally know what you mean about taking the girl out of the city but not the city out of the girl. I would LOVE to get rid of the city side of me, but its impossible..

So poll here, for native New Yorkers who never lived in LI, do you say "in LI" or "on LI". I'm curious because for me its always a big clue that the person is from LI (i.e. lives there, not necessarily a native). Interesting..

Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 AM

27 posts, read 95,657 times
Smile Being a New Yorker is in your blood

I currently live in Los Angeles-- I am miserable. However, I was born in Brooklyn so I will always be a New Yorker and proud of it. Being a New Yorker means always having an opinion about something even when you know little to nothing about the subject matter. It also means being direct, smart and intutive. But mostly it means having heart. Watch Oliver Stone's movie on 911. There is a line at the end of the movie. Someone asks one of the rescue workers why he risked his life, the rescue worker responds by saying, "Because it was the right thing to do". That line defines a New Yorker in my opinion.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:14 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default You can also tell a native from LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Oh yes, growing up in NYC for 22 years definitely qualifies you as a through and through New Yorker forever. I totally know what you mean about taking the girl out of the city but not the city out of the girl. I would LOVE to get rid of the city side of me, but its impossible..

So poll here, for native New Yorkers who never lived in LI, do you say "in LI" or "on LI". I'm curious because for me its always a big clue that the person is from LI (i.e. lives there, not necessarily a native). Interesting..
because they always say, "I am going in to the City." I used to say to them WHERE? They meant Manhattan. I used to say to them, well, say that. The "City" is 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. I always said I am going to Manhattan, or, I am going to Queens.

Try it.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post

I don't agree with you that Chicago would have rebuilt faster. Political wrangling from community groups, the LMDC, the PA, the governor, the mayor, and developers were all major stakeholders; not to mention the entire architectural competition fiasco and the myriad of lawsuits over the project that have all contributed to the delays.

And this would have happened in Chicago as well, if we were talking about the exact same sort of development with the same sort of ownership/rental rights structure as it's just not as simple as putting up a building. People loathed the super blocks created in Lower Manhattan for the towers, and activists wanted entire grid restoration at one point during the reconstruction phase.

So, I respectfully disagree that it is a problem local to NYC that has prevented an entire rebuild in five years or less. It's more indicative of the complex interplay of conflicting goals and visions of too many stakeholders and numerous resets because of this. Chicago has not faced this type of situation, nor has any other city in the country, so I'd not be too quick to say that they have more of a spirit to rebuild faster. It did not happen there, so any thoughts as to Chicago's speed are speculative.

New York has not lost its way and there are plenty of creative, visionary people in this city who get things done.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM

219 posts, read 608,879 times
Being a New Yorker is a lot of things, but if the only time you leave Manhattan is to go to the Brooklyn Brewery or the airport you are NOT a New Yorker.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:43 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I don't agree with you that Chicago would have rebuilt faster. Political wrangling from community groups, the LMDC, the PA, the governor, the mayor, and developers were all major stakeholders; not to mention the entire architectural competition fiasco and the myriad of lawsuits over the project that have all contributed to the delays.

And this would have happened in Chicago as well, if we were talking about the exact same sort of development with the same sort of ownership/rental rights structure as it's just not as simple as putting up a building. People loathed the super blocks created in Lower Manhattan for the towers, and activists wanted entire grid restoration at one point during the reconstruction phase.

So, I respectfully disagree that it is a problem local to NYC that has prevented an entire rebuild in five years or less. It's more indicative of the complex interplay of conflicting goals and visions of too many stakeholders and numerous resets because of this. Chicago has not faced this type of situation, nor has any other city in the country, so I'd not be too quick to say that they have more of a spirit to rebuild faster. It did not happen there, so any thoughts as to Chicago's speed are speculative.

New York has not lost its way and there are plenty of creative, visionary people in this city who get things done.
I've also heard the unions told the workers to take their time for monetary benefit.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Chicago doesn't face the threat of NIMBYisim as much as NYC. A lot of projects that have been planned for this city has been killed because of that effect. No other city has faced what NYC had to deal with, but each city will no doubt deal with it in each own way; however, if you look at the projects that is going on in Chicago, one can cearly see that the city of Chicago is serious about redevelopment. NYC, is either lacking that spirit or sadly, is letting political redtape get in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City