U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 25,645 times
Default Living at Meadowwood at Gateway in Brooklyn

I am very much interested in purchasing a 2bdrm condo at Meadowwood. Can anyone tell me what it's like living at Meadowwood? I welcome responses from the current apartment renters as well as new condo owners. For the new condo owners, can you give me an idea how much the closing costs were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 03:52 AM

9,667 posts, read 16,841,492 times
I don't think any of the regular posters live in Meadowwood. I don't either, but I can give you some background information on the complex.

Meadowwood was formerly known as Fairfield Towers. There were a lot of non-paying tenants, and the buildings themselves had issues. The two most popular being the state of the elevators and roaches. The tenants started a rent strike because they believed that Fairfield wasn't providing adequate landlord services. Enter Meadowwood, the conversion from rent stabilization to co-op. Supposedly many apartments in the complex were renovated and are currently for sale now. The strong selling point is that you have Gateway Center right next door. I feel that the only thing that complex is missing is a movie theater. Otherwise you have to go to Linden for that. Another issue is the transportation, as you have to take the B83 bus to the 3 train at pennsylvania ave, and late at night nobody wants to wait for a bus on pennsylvania and livonia after getting off the train. On top of that, you have wortman houses and boulevard houses close by, so you may hear a gunshot or 2 at night. After all, we are still in East New York. Then the school district around there is not great if you have kids. However, I still think its a good 1st time investment because of the price and the convenience of Gateway Center.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-25-2008, 05:01 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,146,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Another issue is the transportation, as you have to take the B83 bus to the 3 train at pennsylvania ave, and late at night nobody wants to wait for a bus on pennsylvania and livonia after getting off the train.
You're making it seem like that's the only option.The B83 also goes to Broadway Junction for A, C, J/Z, and L trains. There's also have the B6 running along Cozine for the L train at Rockaway Parkway and the BM5 express bus route straight to Manhattan.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:38 AM

40,060 posts, read 18,444,154 times
...And, as long as you're in the area, on the corner of Pennsylvania and Flatlands you can also catch the B82, which will take you to three different Kings Highway stations (on the B/Q, F and N lines).

Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 PM

9,667 posts, read 16,841,492 times
009, that's true, but my issue is the two-fare zone thing (dont mean to call it that since its not 2 fare zone anymore) but aside from the express bus, you have to take a bus to the train. not my personal preference. i still say its a good 1st time investment though.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 AM

328 posts, read 518,090 times
I went to see the apartments twice. They did a good job. I love the bamboo floors and the wall of windows. All of the homes have terraces. The kitchen is really cool.

There are programs available to assist with downpayment and closing costs if your income is low enough. I do not remember the salary requirements. There is plenty of parking and they have a parking lot. I do not remember the cost. Go take a look. Many people are buying. I verified with Zillow. People say the area is suspect. I did not see any wackos walking around but I did not go at night. It is not close to the subway but I think the complex is going to provide a shuttle bus to the train station. I believe it is the L. Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 AM

40,060 posts, read 18,444,154 times
Although I don't live near Meadowwood, I do ride my bicycle along Flatlands Avenue where it passes through. As with lots of other areas in New York City, it's not as bad as people like to say. I wouldn't be wandering around at night...but that could just be me!

It's good if they're going to provide a shuttle bus to the subway. If you're not all that familiar with the L line, I can tell you this: during the rush hour, trains leave the terminal in Canarsie at four-minute intervals. (Yes--four minutes. Yours Truly, presently in title as a tower operator with MTA, has in fact worked the tower at Canarsie and been the person responsible for moving them out. Talk about not having time to take a breath!) That said, you may or may not be able to get a seat, depending on which station that bus drops you off at.

Also, despite what people like to claim--by which I mean, horror stories about an hour and a half to Manhattan on the L train--the truth is that it takes all of 39 minutes to go from one terminal to the other. It happens to be one of the faster lines in the system. So long as people aren't holding the doors at various stations for too long!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 23,873 times
i have been to the area before and i use to live in bk. the area has always been one that you did not travel to late at night. the area is trying to pick up and the cleaned up spring creek as well, but they still have a lot of work to do. i also went to look at the meadowwood condos but i looked at the townhouses which are like little condos in a small building. they are nice but too small for me. they have done a nice job as far as i can see. the traveling was a problem for me because i work in staten island and certain times of night i would not be at thetrain station. if there is a shuttle bus that would be nice but go for it. the area is not as bad as everyone tries to make it and it is around a shopping area and the mall and not to far from the post office by the pink houses which has quieted down through the years. good luck, i am really trying to reconsider the condos.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 AM

171 posts, read 370,868 times
I live in Canarsie on 101 street and seaview and I can tell you this because I live in the area also took L train to city all the time and back and even at night. Gateway area is not bad, you have Erstein mall right there and Starett City right there and you have Canarsie Peir not far. This will be a great investment for you you are close to two major highways, Belt and Jackie Robinson, only 10 minutes from JFK, 5 minutes driving to Queens and 15 minutes to LI. You also have the park by Belt Parkway and all season you see people from Queens jogging. The L train does leave every 4 minutes. To be honest if I got on train I was in city within 30 minutes at the time I worked on 23rd street. That entire area is changing, they put billions of dollars to fix the dump at Belt PKWY now people are there during the summer enjoying. Dont forget the convenient of the mall right there which people from Queens and Brooklyn area uses because we are that close. I had bought my 2 family home 3 years ago next month and have no regrets.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 36,342 times
The area is def changing for the better fast and those who are first time home buyers, both young and old should consider MeadowWood because the prices are affordable, you get a decent floor plan and the apartments come with granite countertops and hardwood cabinets along with stainless steel appliances. I purchased my apartment (closed in april) and love it. The property has security cameras every where along with on site security walking around. Crime can happen anywhere you go so it is just common sense to be aware of your surroundings. The gateway center is VERY conveinent. If you are tired of throwing your money away renting take a look at this place. There are affordable programs as well. I did an FHA loan and only had to put down 3.5%. There is also the SONYMA program which I also considered but FHA is a no brainer or at least was for me but everyone has a different situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City