U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,004,449 times

Advertisements

Aly, I would like to suggest Long Beach, Long Island.... great family oriented community, within an hour of Manhattan and very pretty coastal atmosphere. I've sent you some info in a pvt message as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 11:16 AM

2,806 posts, read 14,972,955 times
Many places in NJ are within an hour's commute of NYC. There are some ferries I guess, but by far most people use the train system (NJ Transit) or take one of the many buses from a park and ride.

I have a feeling that you might want to avoid some of the more Italian/Jewish or other Eastern or Southern European areas. I think these places might be the hardest for a Southern person to blend into.

I think you would be fine in a lot of the suburbs in NJ, Westchester County, or some of the places in CT that are along the rail lines. Have you looked into the Greenwich/Stamford area?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM

12 posts, read 55,584 times
I have looked in the CT area, my concern with that is... are you double taxed? If you earn your income in NY, do you only pay income tax there? then property tax in CT.....right?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:07 PM

6,271 posts, read 15,512,369 times
aly11, you're getting a lot of responses that are sending you on searches all over the metro region. the NY-NJ-CT area is HUGE. Within an hour's commute of Manhattan there are literally thousands of towns, some better than others. How do you begin to narrow it down? I think I'd start by drawing an amoebic circle around NYC that represents an hour commute. Then I'd consider, what state? Which ones have the best tax and other laws that meet my needs?

Also, consider your weekend activities. Do you like to go skiing every weekend in winter? Maybe you should live in upper Westchester or Orange/Rockland so you can get a head start on the ski trip. Those areas are also great if you like going to lakes or hiking. Do you love going to the beach every weekend? Maybe you should look near the Jersey Shore or Long Island. Do you want to drive back down South frequently to visit friends and fam? New Jersey gives you a head start for that trip. Great suburban towns are a dime a dozen (even though houses in any of them are not). Pick a part of the region that offers the types of activities you like to take part in.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM

122 posts, read 737,127 times
I'm a NYer but this past summer in lived in Louisiana and recently caught myself saying "good morning" to someone on the street and they said it back!

It was great!

As far as finding a place to "fit in"...to me, that seems tough. You already said you weren't crazy about Long Island. I don't know Jersey too well, but the whole state intimidates me. Connecticut...someone mentioned Greenwich? Yikes. Very, very rich and snooty, and your southernness will probably be looked down upon.

And Westchester, where I live and go to school, can also be snooty, and some towns here have no discernible middle class. BUT one place that seems worth looking into is Rye. It seems fairly multicultural, is very close to White Plains (small city with lots of stores and restaurants), and is probably a 1/2 hour express ride away from Manhattan. Oh yeah, and it has Rye Playland, for the kiddies

Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 PM

12 posts, read 55,584 times
Lammius and Woofenstein,

Thank you so much for the sincere and informative responses. Weekend activities are important and really nothing I had considered. Kinda bummed about having to head back up that way...but there is a lot to offer, and we are much more the beach family than the ski one. So I will take that to heart while I look. Can you find "real" sea glass on the beaches up there? (just wondered?)

Also, it is funny that you mentioned Rye and White Plains, because that is where I have found several homes that I like. Now you mentioned living in Rye,. is it nicer (less commercial, more residential, young families?) than White Plains? And what is Rye Playland? That sounds fun!

Do smaller towns up there have the little festivals and street music and stuff? We lived in Boston before and some of the burbs had the greatest family friday night music in the park and things like that.....does that go on in Rye? or White Plains? That is one thing I do miss about the NE ...also the dirt.. I loved to garden up there, it is hard to plant things in red clay! lol

At any rate, I'm looking at the positives and it could be a great experience for me and my children if we land in the right area. We won't move till Sept....and that is why I am researching now. I don't want to waste time.

I do appreciate all the responses, yall have been great. Now if yall all want to live on the same street, that would be great

Thanks again!

Aly

Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,004,449 times
Default night music

Many of the coastal communities have a activities throughout the summer and they become very quiet during the winter. Not to pound Long Beach in your sight again, but it is what I know. They have free concerts on the beach 2-3 nights a week, along with volleyball, surfing contests and a host of other family friendly activities. I know many of the LI towns do the same.. Babylon, Lindenhurst etc. And yes, real sea glass.

Other year round beach type communities with a similar commute is Atlantic Beach, Lido beach & Point Lookout. NJ has Rumson, Atlantic Highlands area although I am not really familiar with them.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 AM

Rye actually has a beach, which might even be the only beach in Westchester, but I don't know about sea glass (sorry!). Rye Playland is a smallish amusement park...never been there, though. I also can't tell you off the top of my had about festivals, since I only go to school in Westchester and when I leave campus it's mostly to Brooklyn or the grocery store. As far as culture--there's an art museum and a large theatre (not cinema) on the Purchase College campus, which is in the town next to Rye. All kinds of acts pass through, from lecturers and authors to ballet and Cirque du Soleil type stuff. That's about all I can tell you about culture in Westchester 'cause that's about all i know. But there's always NYC!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,888,649 times
I wouldn't move to Long Island. I think Westchester County would be a good fit for you. It has a much more rural feel and is more spread out. The train ride into the city along the Hudson is also very beautiful - helps with the commute. I actually think Westchester is cheaper than Long Island, atleast from my searches on the internet.

There are a lot of great, historic towns with plenty of culture and festivals, etc. Personally I like Tarrytown and the Sleepy Hollow area, but there is so many others to choose from. I would check out Moderator cut: advertising website - very easy site to navigate and you can even choose to search in Rockland and Orange Counties (although the commute will be longer).

Your best bet regarding commute times is to go to the Metro North website and search for towns while looking at the rail map (I think the Metro North website gives you the commute time/distance to Manhattan from all the train stations). I think you will like it here - the north gets a really bad rap! There's plenty of nice people here. :-)

Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM

why was the website cut??? he/she was just trying to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or