U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2008, 08:46 AM

374 posts, read 520,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compgirl22 View Post
Please help! im trying to get own place, I filled out for the projects but i know its a long wait. However do anyone know where can i apply for for section 8. Is section 8 open in NYC .

Please write back, thank you
Both NYCHA and HPD Section 8 applications are closed now. However, if you are a victim of domestic violence or live in shelter you may be given priority.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 PM

8 posts, read 49,435 times
dag.. that sounds good. section, the other person had said i can get section eight pick a nice apartment and be good. But section 8 is closed in NYC, i think my income may be too much for them trying to find an apartment in NYC building is horrible. at least 1 to 2 years and thats including the projects. Me and my boyfriend dont know what to do where to turn. if anyone have any areas in the bronx please let me know. I try to check this forum often. so it me up (smile)

Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,949,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
A lot of people like to complain about welfare handouts, but really, things like housing assistance are a tiny portion of the government budget, and programs like Section 8 and food stamps are efficient when compared to many other bloated government money holes. The 10% highest earning Americans subsidize the other 90% of us. So unless you are in the top 10% income bracket, it's slightly ironic to complain about "your" tax dollars being spent, since the rich are paying for all sorts of things for *you*.

The impression I've had from news articles is that a lot more people are transferring out of NYC with vouchers than transferring in.
The periphial costs in free lunches, social workers, more crime, more QOL offenses and such more than make up the difference. NYS spends 45 Billion on medicaid alone....

Sorry, but you post simply isn't true...

Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM

10,525 posts, read 10,598,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compgirl22 View Post
dag.. that sounds good. section, the other person had said i can get section eight pick a nice apartment and be good. But section 8 is closed in NYC, i think my income may be too much for them trying to find an apartment in NYC building is horrible. at least 1 to 2 years and thats including the projects. Me and my boyfriend dont know what to do where to turn. if anyone have any areas in the bronx please let me know. I try to check this forum often. so it me up (smile)
If you want to move in with your boyfriend that badly, maybe you should move outside of the city... how much does your boyfriend make, and how much do you make? There might be other programs outside of NYC proper.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM

8,752 posts, read 8,614,709 times
I would also recommend moving out of NYC...you will have a MUCH better quality of life, especially if you are a low wage worker...you are MUCH better off overall outside of the city. There are many people who are enjoying living in warm, beautiful, clean places like Florida, Atlanta, Texas..where you can potentially buy a home, have a yard for kids, a nice neighborhood with decent people and good schools. Think about it...it's an easy choice.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 AM

36 posts, read 126,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You can also apply for section 8, and if you receive it, it is transferable anywhere in the country. Have you ever considered transferring your voucher to a better location where you can live a much better quality of life for you and your family, instead of living in crime ridden housing projects? You can rent a home in a good neighborhood, good schools, safe streets, clean air, and provide a better life for yourself and family. I know many people who are doing very well after they transferred their section 8 voucher to Pennsylvania, Florida, Atlanta, NC, etc....they start over and $10 an hour jobs provide a good lifestyle. Either way good luck to you, but if you do get a section 8 voucher, give some thought to transferring it outside of the metropolitan area...you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
SobroGuy, I think you are giving people very good advice. If you can come across a program such as section 8 where you can move to another state and try to better the lives of yourself and your children why not take that and run. Right ? Unfortunately some people are scared to make a move like that because of different reasons. Take it from me if you have a section 8 voucher make the most of it and relocate out of NYC.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 PM

294 posts, read 563,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NewYork View Post
SobroGuy, I think you are giving people very good advice. If you can come across a program such as section 8 where you can move to another state and try to better the lives of yourself and your children why not take that and run. Right ? Unfortunately some people are scared to make a move like that because of different reasons. Take it from me if you have a section 8 voucher make the most of it and relocate out of NYC.

I second that.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,050 times
Can anyone tell me when Section 8 will reopen in NYC. I am a mother of 2 children (15) and (12) I no longer work due to medical reason. I really need to move where I live now. Please tell me and where I can apply to get section 8 or when it will reopen. PLZ I NEED HELP ;( Please send a number or place I may got in NYC. Thanking you in advance

Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 PM

88 posts, read 167,373 times
Unfortunately given the way things are right now with the recession, I do not think it will happen anytime soon.

Sha83 is correct. Priority is given only to victims of domestic violence or those who have been in the shelter system for at least a year.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,857 times
If you go into a shelter a family shelter you will qualify for a child advantage voucher or a work advantage voucher. A work advantage voucher for those with famniloy i beleive range to 1400.00 amonth for the voucher. In a family shelter and if you are working it may take upto 6 months fro you to get the voucher. go to www.nyc.gov and go to the search box on the website and type in "DHS" it stands for department of homeless services and then click advantage and it will show you what work advantage is and what you must earn to qualify and how much the amount of money on the voucher per family. Keep in mind that the rules just changed for the voucher effective september of 2010. You can only get this voucher through a shelter since section 8 is closed. I beleive this voucher turns into section 8 not sure though...call 311 and you get DHS's number and ask if it turns into section 8. The family shelters a re better than the single shelters I hear this all the time. Good luck... oh and the with the work advantage voucher it lasts up to two years. You will have to pay 30% of your rent the 1st year and then 40% of the rent the second year if you qualify the second year. Example lets say you get a voucher through work advantage for 962.00 then you willhave to find an apartment for 962.00 total or less than 962.00 you will pay 30% your income which will make your portion 200.00 a month and the voucher will suppliment the rest. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City