Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times

Advertisements

I hope that the city doesn't let people come here from out of state and get a project apt, or section 8. There are too many people that have been here for years that are on waiting list, and are in shelters waiting for this type of assistance in the city.

I can understand if the person is ill, and the only family that they have in this world, that they can count on is in the city, then maybe an exception could be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Section 8 is a federal program, not a STATE program. Everyone that applies for section 8 applies via the federal government, not the state, which is why you can transfer it to anywhere you want to reside. People from Tennessee can apply for section 8 and move it to NYC, and vice versa. As for NYC projects, that housing is by waiting list, so it is irrelevant whether someone is from out of state or not, they all get on the back of the line. I cannot tell you off the top of my head whether that housing is restricted to NYC residents..as I am not sure where the funding comes from. If it is paid by the federal government then it cannot be restricted to city residents, but I think it is paid by either the city or state, which would mean it is restricted to NYS residents (if paid by the state) or NYC residents (if paid by the city). Can anyone confirm this?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM
DAS

^Section 8 waiting list is not open unless you are in an emergency situation now. Someone from Tennessee can't just transfer their voucher here. They maybe able to go upstate but not here. I'm not opposed to them transferring here if there were apts available and they could show proof that they would have employment for a guaranteed period of time or a sponser that would care for them and their family if that doesn't work out, including medical.

You are right some things are federally funded, but a lot is supplimented by NYS and NYC like medical, our city hospitals, schools, we are stretched to the limit now.

In reality I don't know how any state or city can continue to just let people that cannot support themselves and have no other private way to fund themselves, just come and live off of the taxpayers. If you are here and fall on hard times it is one thing, but to move about like that is another.

You gave examples of other states where people were able to secure employment and start over. I doubt that they have over crowded hospitals, and schools in those like we do here. It is hard enough for EMS to find a hospital with available room, when they have to transport a person from there home, or wherever to the nearest hospital, even when the person has good reliable insurance.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Yes I know that section 8 is closed, however why do you believe that nobody can transfer their section 8 here? As I stated, it is a federal program and it can be transferred anywhere, to NYC or out of NYC. There is no mandate or law stating otherwise unfortunately. I agree with what you are saying DAS..with the monumental deficits today AND the HUGE spending (aka stimulus) that is running into the TRILLIONS, what do you think will be happening in the very near future when the bills come due? With services and funding tight, look for a MAJOR restructuring of all these entitlement programs because they will no longer be able to be funded. It is gonna get ugly very soon.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 PM

132 posts, read 528,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Section 8 is a federal program, not a STATE program. Everyone that applies for section 8 applies via the federal government, not the state, which is why you can transfer it to anywhere you want to reside. People from Tennessee can apply for section 8 and move it to NYC, and vice versa.
When a person applies for section 8, they are applying to their local housing authority, not to the state or federal government. The funds come from the federal government, but it's administered by local housing authorities - same thing as public housing projects. And the local authorities can prioritize their wait lists based on need and residency.
The supposed principle is that somebody with a voucher can transfer it anywhere, but it doesn't really work that way. Generally, the person has to be a resident of where they got their voucher, or else live there for a year with their voucher, until they can move somplace else. And often, they can only move to a place if the housing authority there will pay for their voucher - many housing authorities require the original HA to pay for it, which the original HA won't do if the cost is too high.

Quote:
As for NYC projects, that housing is by waiting list, so it is irrelevant whether someone is from out of state or not, they all get on the back of the line.
For many housing authorities, the wait varies based on the applicant's circumstance. So a resident of a town could move in to a project in that town much faster than somebody from out of town. The policies vary though.

Quote:
I cannot tell you off the top of my head whether that housing is restricted to NYC residents..as I am not sure where the funding comes from. If it is paid by the federal government then it cannot be restricted to city residents, but I think it is paid by either the city or state, which would mean it is restricted to NYS residents (if paid by the state) or NYC residents (if paid by the city). Can anyone confirm this?
I don't know NYCHA's situation, but generally, most all the funding for a housing authority is federal, from HUD. I think NYCHA converted a few of their projects from public housing to either market rate or section 8 project housing (all the current tenants were given vouchers to use for their apt or to move), because those projects weren't federally funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
^Section 8 waiting list is not open unless you are in an emergency situation now. Someone from Tennessee can't just transfer their voucher here.
They could. The wait list is for *getting* a voucher. If a person has a voucher already, there is a possibility that they could move to NYC with it.

A lot of people like to complain about welfare handouts, but really, things like housing assistance are a tiny portion of the government budget, and programs like Section 8 and food stamps are efficient when compared to many other bloated government money holes. The 10% highest earning Americans subsidize the other 90% of us. So unless you are in the top 10% income bracket, it's slightly ironic to complain about "your" tax dollars being spent, since the rich are paying for all sorts of things for *you*.

The impression I've had from news articles is that a lot more people are transferring out of NYC with vouchers than transferring in.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:51 PM

Interesting...I know that they are applying through local housing division, but it is a federal program (paid with federal dollars) and when the fed stops paying, the program no longer exists. Therefore NOTHING comes out of the local housing/city's pocket...it is all federal money. I also understand that there are residency requirements but the vouchers travel everywhere, and are only restricted (in terms of locations) by the public and private landlords that accept them. I also understand that some people can skip ahead based on circumstances, but in general the vast majority are waiting on line.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
When a person applies for section 8, they are applying to their local housing authority, not to the state or federal government. The funds come from the federal government, but it's administered by local housing authorities - same thing as public housing projects. And the local authorities can prioritize their wait lists based on need and residency.
The supposed principle is that somebody with a voucher can transfer it anywhere, but it doesn't really work that way. Generally, the person has to be a resident of where they got their voucher, or else live there for a year with their voucher, until they can move somplace else. And often, they can only move to a place if the housing authority there will pay for their voucher - many housing authorities require the original HA to pay for it, which the original HA won't do if the cost is too high.

For many housing authorities, the wait varies based on the applicant's circumstance. So a resident of a town could move in to a project in that town much faster than somebody from out of town. The policies vary though.

I don't know NYCHA's situation, but generally, most all the funding for a housing authority is federal, from HUD. I think NYCHA converted a few of their projects from public housing to either market rate or section 8 project housing (all the current tenants were given vouchers to use for their apt or to move), because those projects weren't federally funded.

They could. The wait list is for *getting* a voucher. If a person has a voucher already, there is a possibility that they could move to NYC with it.

A lot of people like to complain about welfare handouts, but really, things like housing assistance are a tiny portion of the government budget, and programs like Section 8 and food stamps are efficient when compared to many other bloated government money holes.
Thank you for the information. I know people that have family members that relocated and have section 8 vouchers in other states and upstate where they are renting houses and large apts. They have decent jobs and their children go to good schools with extra curricular activities that are hard to come by in NYC public schools. They do miss the excitement of the city and have tried to transfer their vouchers unsuccessfully a few times.

Can you give examples of why they may have they been unsuccessful in transferring the vouchers.

I know that your last paragraph is true, the percentage of the budget is small for these programs compared to other wasteful things in gov't. I'm not opposed to the programs. However it doesn't change the very real conditions of long waiting list here, over crowded schools, and hospitals. I am referring only to the city now. I don't think people should be allowed to come here and contribute to these conditions. Nor should they be allowed to jump over others that have vouchers and cannot find a landlord willing to accept it. Let alone apply for NYCHA and there are others on the list that live here already.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Yep there are some restrictions that can get in the way, but generally speaking, vouchers are portable to practically anywhere in the USA, including Puerto Rico (?I'm pretty sure?), Alaska, Hawaii, etc..

The money does go through local housing authority hands, but it mostly all comes from HUD, and most of the program regulations are federal. So in a way, the housing authorities act like an intermediary. If the local HA does a bad job at administering the program, they can lose money. For example, I think Chicago messed up so badly that a private company now runs their Section 8 program. San Francisco's Housing Authority considered filing for bankruptcy at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Can you give examples of why they may have they been unsuccessful in transferring the vouchers.
I'm not sure, but I think sometimes a housing authority will only let you move your voucher to a different place if the receiving HA will absorb the voucher into *their* program/funding. Otherwise, you might not get to move to that receiving HA unless the payment standard (cost of renting) is lower in the receiving area than the original area. Housing authorities can vary whether they absorb incoming vouchers or not. Though if one HA won't absorb, maybe another in the same metro area will. There are probably dozens of HAs in major metro areas like NYC/LA/etc
Plus you just never know how bad the HA can mismanage things. I knew a person who couldn't move with their voucher, because their original HA simply said they couldn't. (no apparent reason given)

Last edited by Rusty_Shackleford; 12-30-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 02:06 PM

sorry, double post

Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
DAS

Thank you for the response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City