Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Now that is more undestandable now that I have read your replies. I understand the philosophy. I have never been to the Rose Parade and could go if I wanted. I have connections for prime seats as well. We have friends that we send instead because they think its a big thing. I just think it looks great on the big screen while I sit in a comfortable chair sipping a hot cocoa in my own warm home. Not that many of you would think that it is cold in Pasadena at this time of year, but for us weather wimpy Californians it is winter weather when it gets to 50 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,107 times
I'm watching the ball drop on TV, but not via Ryan Seacrest and the Dick Clark-turned-Idol show of his. We're probably gonna watch it on Univision.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 PM

93 posts, read 242,803 times
There's the whole crowd comraderie thing going on. I only saw it once but am glad that I can say I was there. Well not the way you'd expect. I didn't wait with the crowds behind barricades. My brother's college friend rented a bar near Times Square one New Year's eve and at the stroke of midnight we stepped out to look at the ball....

No matter where you are, the tv is on the ball. There have been a few years, I conked out before the strike of twelve. This year I expect to be awake, all warm and cozy on the couch....very quiet which is how I like New Years unless it's an extra special get together...New Year's is not really my thing. I really don't like the whole year in review things on New Years eve...it's rather melancholy...

Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM

144 posts, read 463,960 times
i live in nyc i went to the balldrop last year i was very disappointed not many hot and drunk girls, too many cops, and it was nothing compared to the marti gras and beach parties i see on TV with all the wild girls and ****

Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc227 View Post
i live in nyc i went to the balldrop last year i was very disappointed not many hot and drunk girls, too many cops, and it was nothing compared to the marti gras and beach parties i see on TV with all the wild girls and ****
I got so deperate at last year's drop that after a few beers those potbellied lady cops were starting to look good.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM

93 posts, read 242,803 times
Miles, you met my cousin. She is a NY police officer with a large belly. LOL. But really she is. She is the life of the party though so not quite fit those 'potbellies' in the personality dept. (Sad to admit my shape is more like hers now...ahhhh. How did this happen? Will turn it around though. Wait this is the internet, you can't see me...I am so hot...and I am wearing....oops gotta go, the phone is ringing. LOL)

Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
Here is what I'll most likely do, play video games untill 11:58 PM, watch the ball drop, say "Happy New Year!" to my mom, then will do back to playing video games!

I'm not that big on watching the ball drop. It is too damn cold to be standing out there!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franaissance View Post
Miles, you met my cousin. She is a NY police officer with a large belly. LOL. But really she is. She is the life of the party though so not quite fit those 'potbellies' in the personality dept. (Sad to admit my shape is more like hers now...ahhhh. How did this happen? Will turn it around though. Wait this is the internet, you can't see me...I am so hot...and I am wearing....oops gotta go, the phone is ringing. LOL)
Hey Fran, your cousin was actually cute - she was the other cop standing guard with the potbellied one. Your cousin was so hot I committed a crime just so that she would frisk me and handcuff me! I always fantasized about a lady cop arresting me...only thing I didn't now she would follow through and lock me up at the precinct instead of offering me a ride to her home.

Oh well...that was some New Year Ball Drop! If you look like your cousin, you're cute!

Happy New Year! Enjoy the Ball drop!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 AM

469 posts, read 1,870,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I love your city but just can't understand the facination with the falling ball on New Years. Looks like it slowly moves down. I was thinking that it would be cooler if it slammed into the ground and exploded into a mess of fireworks, confetti, and balloons. Now that would be cool. Saying that I have never seen or watched on TV the New York New years eve festivities. Some members of my family love to bring in the new year watching the New York show.

Can anyone explain the facination with a falling ball,and hanging out with 1,000 of other people in the cold?
I went back in 2006. I had an awesome experience. But for me it's a one time thing, even though I had a really good time (and we some how managed to get into the area right at 11pm, so we didn't have to stand too long), I just couldn't see myself doing it again. And the fact that I probably couldn't recreate the scenario that got us in the first time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City