Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In order to get into housing projects, or to get Section 8, the wait list for those programs could take YEARS, and who knows if the person will get it in the end?

It helps if you get SSI/Disability, but that's another process that takes years.

Listening to you guys, one would think a homeless person in NYC could easily come off the street and get an apartment. That is 100% FALSE.
This is the only thing I agree with. Homeless people in the shelter program are going to be staying in them for LIFE. No longer will the city under Bloomberg's control move them. His friends own those shelter hotels, so he's making sure he places as many as possible in them.

Quote:
NYC does not house every homeless person who applies for assistance.
By "housing", they are placed in a shelter hotel. These are all over the city. Each family gets their own room which comes equipped with a fridge, sink and microwave.

I don't know how it works for single homeless people though.

But the city doesn't have to give them regular apartments. This privilege is gone as long as Bloomberg remains in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
NYWriterDude, I have done enough of the legwork for you. You portended to be an expert on NYC law, you google the answers. Stop alleging something that is not true...NYC is required to house the homeless...now please stop talking and read the article I sent you.

Harlem: I care not whether "Lakeesha694Life" or "GunzPopYou" support or not support my comments. My goal is to spread the truth, regardless of who may or may not support it. I do have a tinge of hostility at times, but it is wholly untrue to allege that I do not take the time to educate people. I do not simply state "Yes they do house people", I provided the link where people can read up and learn, and even inserted an excerpt from the article if they are too lazy to read for themselves. I pride myself on spending the time to educate people on these threads, so please refrain from alleging otherwise.

However, I did also hear some challengews from NYC regarding this law. And there is no doubt Bloomberg is trying to find any way out of this requirement. The fact is, there isn't enough space/funds in NYC to house every homeless person from across the country who needs housing. And at this point, anyone from across the country simply can stroll into the homeless shelter in NYC, and get housing (eventually).
This is the "housing" the city is required to give not an actual apartment.

The "new" shelter system doesn't have a bunch of families sharing spaces with 50 other people like they do in other states or back in the old days of NYC. Everyone (single and with families) must go to the main intake center in the Bronx where they are interviewed and given a shelter room for two weeks to assess their cases. The "Shelter Gestapo Police" that Bloomberg instituted tries to scare everyone from entering by threatening to take their children away or calling up family or the last person they lived with to scare them into taking them back in. I've even heard of them offering "bribes" to the former family members of huge cash amounts if they would take them back in.

If the last person they stayed with says they'll take them back, then the shelter refugee will be forced to go back. If they choose not to, they will be threatened with having their children put into foster care (which is illegal according to the Coalition for the Homeless) and put them in a singles shelter.

This is the mandatory "housing" the city talks about. They don't have to placed in actual apartments and as long as Bloomberg or like minded politicians are in power here, the shelter hotels is where they will stay for the rest of their lives. Sadly.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
And if the shelter screening people find out said person has relatives in some other place out of NYC, they will buy them an one way non refundable bus or airplane ticket to that place, if that person says they will take them back.

I know people in the welfare hotels of which Marilyn speaks. Sadly, not all over those people will be able to stay there, as HRA has started to do DRUG tests. Its pretty easy to even lose staying in a welfare motel these days.

Right after hurricane sandy, I was curious about the housing program the city and FEMA had. FEMA's 30 day hotel program was bs, as hotels typically had no vacancies, or if they had vacancies, it was only for two days.

The welfare motels Marilyn speaks off. Just out of curiousity, I went to one. They did not have have a microwave or a fridge in the room. I guess clients there had go to out to soup kitchens or hustle up money on the streets.

Again, there is no easy way for homeless people to get permanent housing in NYC these days, and the welfare hotel system, which is where many will stay in for a long time, screens a fair number of people out . That's why you see homeless people sleeping on the SUBWAYS, or on the STREET around town.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The "Shelter Gestapo Police" that Bloomberg instituted tries to scare everyone from entering by threatening to take their children away or calling up family or the last person they lived with to scare them into taking them back in. I've even heard of them offering "bribes" to the former family members of huge cash amounts if they would take them back in.
Which the city often uses to dump people out of NYC. Got a grandma in Kentucky who says she'll take you back in? Boom, we got your one way ticket to Kentucky. Hit the road Jack, and don'tcha come back No More, No More, No More (Song by Ray Charles).

Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM

402 posts, read 811,562 times
Wah Wah. The country is in debt 100 grand per family and people are talking like the city owes these people a place to live.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
If indeed you are white (as you say), all you have to do is look at crime stats to see that you are much safer in an all-white area than a heavily "diverse" area. Schools are better too.
So give me the montony of an all or mostly white area any time.
White flight to the suburbs over the years has absolutely nothing to do with skin color, but everything to do with bad behavior and social ills, caused disproportionately by certain groups.
Generally a good rule but please be aware that there are exceptions. Jackson Heights is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country, yet it is pretty safe aside from the few blocks on the border of Elmhurst. Woodside and Sunnyside are very safe, and they have a lot of Southeast Asian immigrants. Forest Hills is super safe, yet it has a lot of Chinese and Korean immigrants. Most of south Brooklyn is safe, despite being a fusion of Russians, Jews, and Ukrainians (oddly enough, Ukraine and Russia are probably the two most dangerous countries in Europe).

Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Generally a good rule but please be aware that there are exceptions. Jackson Heights is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country, yet it is pretty safe aside from the few blocks on the border of Elmhurst. Woodside and Sunnyside are very safe, and they have a lot of Southeast Asian immigrants. Forest Hills is super safe, yet it has a lot of Chinese and Korean immigrants. Most of south Brooklyn is safe, despite being a fusion of Russians, Jews, and Ukrainians (oddly enough, Ukraine and Russia are probably the two most dangerous countries in Europe).
Well, Adam Lanza recently massacred 30 people in a suburban school. People do get murdered in suburban areas as well. There is no such thing as a totally safe area, and I do think inner city areas somewhat get their problems blown out of proportion.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, Adam Lanza recently massacred 30 people in a suburban school. People do get murdered in suburban areas as well. There is no such thing as a totally safe area, and I do think inner city areas somewhat get their problems blown out of proportion.
Aurora Colorado was a suburb too. And Columbine High School as in a suburb as well. The Tucson perp was also quite white.

White neighborhood=/=Automatically safe

Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Aurora Colorado was a suburb too. And Columbine High School as in a suburb as well. The Tucson perp was also quite white.

White neighborhood=/=Automatically safe
And of course, you don't just have people going crazy. Depending on where you live there are forest fires, earthquakes, mudslides, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc.

No place is truly safe.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What has changed in the last 20 years is the fact that the city is legally required to house every man/woman/child...that's what...it has nothing to do with alleged anti-social behavior or anti-civil behavior! So guess where they will dump them and have been dumping them?

If you don't believe that everyone deserves a places to live at the expense of others, you are living in the wrong city, and really you should probably avoid any 1st world nation and stick with the 3rd world ones...then you can experience the wonderful world of life without any of those pesky social safety nets you despise so much...you'll enjoy Sudan, Haiti, Afghanistan,....the list is endless!
Why shoudl the city house everyone? Why? What happened to people taking care of themselves and contributing to the nation rather than sucking indefinately from the hose of liberal entitlement?

Who paid for all the entitlements? Not those who abuse them year after year, decade after decade!

Nice apartments....earn it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City