U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 05:53 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,519,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Or your posts could get some people to round up every single ghetto person they know and send them to your neighborhood, just to **** you off. Where'd you say you lived, again? Norwood, right?

So somebody who doesn't want to live in an all-White neighborhood is a hood person now?

See, you claim you're not a closet racist, but at the same time, you're assuming that because their neighborhood isn't a White neighborhood, it must automatically be the hood. You're right. If it isn't "plain vanilla", it's automatically the hood. (Because he said he would be content with "a little bit of color". He never said it had to be completely devoid of White people).
No bedford. And I don't hate black people, I hate ghetto people. I've said this many times over and over again on this board. Ghetto is a class, not a race. You have ghetto white people to but since white people are pretty much extinct in the Bronx, the majority I have to with on a daily basis are black or spanish (puerto ricans or dominicans). What I find alarming is your defend ghetto people. Why? Do you not realize ghetto people are a cancer to the neighborhood? So why do you feel the need to defend them? Is it because you have friends and family member that can be categorized as ghetto? I think that may be it. Maybe you, yourself could be categorized as being ghetto so you would be doing yourself a disservice promoting any anti-ghetto movement.

I'm a visionary. I see the true potential of a neighborhood and recognize what is holding it back. If the ghetto portion of the demographic were to be removed from the community, the quality of life and overall feel of the neighborhood would drastically increase. And that is my goal. Its not going to happen over night. It will take some time. I want to spark change in the community and kick these ghetto people to the curb. You want know how you keep ghetto people our the neighbor? You make it hard for them to qualify for housing. You raise your standards, document it on a rental criteria, us it on every prospective tenant, and ghetto people will disqualify themselves. The problem is I've notice many Bronx landlords dumb down their requirements which make it easier for ghetto people to qualify and find housing. So what I do is preach to my fellow Bronx landlords and teach them how to "fish". You teach them how to raise their rental standards by requesting a minimum 650 credit score, doing a criminal background check, make 40x the rent, having 3 months of rent of reserve in your bank account, etc. This is something Sobroguy and I have advocated for, for the longest. That how you keep hood people out your neighborhood. And thats the same strategy I teach other Bronx landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 AM

559 posts, read 751,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Dude, my post was not a personal attack on you. While there are lousy jobs in offices, there are also a lot of jobs in Midtown that are great as well, good paying, interesting and self-fullfilling. The ones in my office are. We get applications from thousands of people for the few positions we offer even when the job market is better. I respect your opinion about office work and commuting by public transport but I don't think it fair to generalize it. I have done both in my career, driven to work and taken public transport. My preference is public transport because I find driving in heavy traffic to be unbearable. But that is my preference. I understand that there are many people who feel differently than I.
We seem to have gotten way off point! My overall point was that I do not think white flight is happening to the same degree as it was in the past. I think the underlying societal forces that created it are no longer as strong. People are more tolerant of different people, gas costs much more now and the suburbs have not turned out to be the safe havens that people expected. Whites are not leaving the city anymore than black or brown people are.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:12 AM

559 posts, read 751,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
No bedford. And I don't hate black people, I hate ghetto people. I've said this many times over and over again on this board. Ghetto is a class, not a race. You have ghetto white people to but since white people are pretty much extinct in the Bronx, the majority I have to with on a daily basis are black or spanish (puerto ricans or dominicans). What I find alarming is your defend ghetto people. Why? Do you not realize ghetto people are a cancer to the neighborhood? So why do you feel the need to defend them? Is it because you have friends and family member that can be categorized as ghetto? I think that may be it. Maybe you, yourself could be categorized as being ghetto so you would be doing yourself a disservice promoting any anti-ghetto movement.

I'm a visionary. I see the true potential of a neighborhood and recognize what is holding it back. If the ghetto portion of the demographic were to be removed from the community, the quality of life and overall feel of the neighborhood would drastically increase. And that is my goal. Its not going to happen over night. It will take some time. I want to spark change in the community and kick these ghetto people to the curb. You want know how you keep ghetto people our the neighbor? You make it hard for them to qualify for housing. You raise your standards, document it on a rental criteria, us it on every prospective tenant, and ghetto people will disqualify themselves. The problem is I've notice many Bronx landlords dumb down their requirements which make it easier for ghetto people to qualify and find housing. So what I do is preach to my fellow Bronx landlords and teach them how to "fish". You teach them how to raise their rental standards by requesting a minimum 650 credit score, doing a criminal background check, make 40x the rent, having 3 months of rent of reserve in your bank account, etc. This is something Sobroguy and I have advocated for, for the longest. That how you keep hood people out your neighborhood. And thats the same strategy I teach other Bronx landlords.
Hilltop, I grew up in Bedford Park and have moved back for the same reason as you perhaps. I see the potential. I like the neighborhood and I don't see much of a change from when I lived there many years ago. I do agree that it is perhaps a matter of class not race because even back when the neighborhood was predominantly white, there was crime and lots of loser types. I would say low class but you use the word "ghetto". I have to admit that when I first read some of your posts, I thought there seemed to be a racist undertone and it may be the word ghetto that does it. Actually, I'm not sure it's always class either. I think it's just a way of thinking and approaching the world. It's just being taught to respect the rights of others and being neighborly. That exists in both lower and upper class people.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
You make it hard for them to qualify for housing. You raise your standards, document it on a rental criteria, us it on every prospective tenant, and ghetto people will disqualify themselves. The problem is I've notice many Bronx landlords dumb down their requirements which make it easier for ghetto people to qualify and find housing. So what I do is preach to my fellow Bronx landlords and teach them how to "fish". You teach them how to raise their rental standards by requesting a minimum 650 credit score, doing a criminal background check, make 40x the rent, having 3 months of rent of reserve in your bank account, etc. This is something Sobroguy and I have advocated for, for the longest. That how you keep hood people out your neighborhood. And thats the same strategy I teach other Bronx landlords.
This already seems to be in the works across the Bronx, indeed, the city as a whole. I had to go through all of the above things you mention. The city has actually helped landlords by eliminating the city advantage welfare program, and by ending security deposits for the Aids Hasa welfare program (what landlord will take tenants that can't pay a security deposit).

Or the other way you reduce hood people is do like neighborhoods like Jackson Heights. Convert a number of rentals (the more decent ones) to co ops or condos. With the number of rentals down, landlords get to cherry pick. It makes rents go up for tenants though, so not necessarily good for them/us.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Hilltop, I grew up in Bedford Park and have moved back for the same reason as you perhaps. I see the potential. I like the neighborhood and I don't see much of a change from when I lived there many years ago. I do agree that it is perhaps a matter of class not race because even back when the neighborhood was predominantly white, there was crime and lots of loser types. I would say low class but you use the word "ghetto". I have to admit that when I first read some of your posts, I thought there seemed to be a racist undertone and it may be the word ghetto that does it. Actually, I'm not sure it's always class either. I think it's just a way of thinking and approaching the world. It's just being taught to respect the rights of others and being neighborly. That exists in both lower and upper class people.
Ghetto to me is a certain form of inner city low class behavior influenced by ths hip hop generation. You can have low class whites and low class/ghetto "colored" people. Both are undesirable but each group, act differently in their lifestyles. Luckily in NYC we don't have to deal with trailer trash but unfortunately we have to deal with ghetto/hoodrat trash which in my opinion is worse. You don't see trailer trash shooting each other and doing drives, however with inner city hood people you do. The culture is totally different, more violent, more in your face, more intiminating, and more confrontational.

And I would like to point out that you can be poor living in the city and not subscribe to this ghetto culture. So being poor does not be default make you ghetto. That being said, the majority of poor people get sacked into that lifestyle and culture as you become a product of your environment.

So to set the record straight, I dislike with a passion, ghetto, ignorant a$$ people despite their skin color. Its what ghetto people stand for and the type of uncivil behavior they impose on a community.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This already seems to be in the works across the Bronx, indeed, the city as a whole. I had to go through all of the above things you mention. The city has actually helped landlords by eliminating the city advantage welfare program, and by ending security deposits for the Aids Hasa welfare program (what landlord will take tenants that can't pay a security deposit).

Or the other way you reduce hood people is do like neighborhoods like Jackson Heights. Convert a number of rentals (the more decent ones) to co ops or condos. With the number of rentals down, landlords get to cherry pick. It makes rents go up for tenants though, so not necessarily good for them/us.
And guess...raising the rental criteria standard is all LEGAL and not considered discrimination in case some people were thinking it. I think that as word gets out in the Bronx about the benefits of using the 40x the rent rule, assisting on a minimum of 650 credit score, clean criminal history, 3 months of rent in reserve in the bank, no previous evictions or tenant/landlord issues, etc. the Bronx will slowly get better as setting higher rental standards allow a LL to pick better quality tenants. If the goal to improve the Bronx is to get "A" or "B+" tenants while currently having "F" tenants in the neighborhood, what you do is you seek to rent to "D" or "C-" tenants and evenually work yourself up to the "A" or "B+" tenants demographic. Going from a "F" tenant to an "A" upon turn over is impossible as "A" tenants don't want to live around "F" tenants, hence why you target "D" and "C" tenants and work yourself up to "A" tenants.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,033,443 times
Quote:
We seem to have gotten way off point! My overall point was that I do not think white flight is happening to the same degree as it was in the past. I think the underlying societal forces that created it are no longer as strong. People are more tolerant of different people, gas costs much more now and the suburbs have not turned out to be the safe havens that people expected. Whites are not leaving the city anymore than black or brown people are.
Breezy Point is still 90% white. As a matter of fact, all of those beach front properties that were hit by Sandy were majority white owned.

How does a neighborhood in 2012 continue to stay all one race on purpose? It's not like qualified people of color haven't tried to move in. So what gives?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:17 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,033,443 times
Quote:
Ghetto to me is a certain form of inner city low class behavior influenced by ths hip hop generation. You can have low class whites and low class/ghetto "colored" people. Both are undesirable but each group, act differently in their lifestyles. Luckily in NYC we don't have to deal with trailer trash but unfortunately we have to deal with ghetto/hoodrat trash which in my opinion is worse. You don't see trailer trash shooting each other and doing drives, however with inner city hood people you do. The culture is totally different, more violent, more in your face, more intiminating, and more confrontational.
Um, when is the last time you've heard about a drive by shooting in NYC?

And YES, trailer trash shoot themselves up all the time too, they just don't publicize it. White owned media does not like to publicize their "trash" just everybody else's.

Look, I don't know why you continue to stay in the Bronx, because you sound so freaking miserable living there.

Why don't you purchase property in Queens? It's mostly educated foreigners with good jobs who will keep the place up and not be a hassle.

The Bronx has a looooooonnnnnnnggggg way to go before it becomes the place you wish it to be. If you got 10 to 20 years to wait, then be my guest.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

And YES, trailer trash shoot themselves up all the time too, they just don't publicize it. White owned media does not like to publicize their "trash" just everybody else's.

Look, I don't know why you continue to stay in the Bronx, because you sound so freaking miserable living there.

Why don't you purchase property in Queens? It's mostly educated foreigners with good jobs who will keep the place up and not be a hassle.

The Bronx has a looooooonnnnnnnggggg way to go before it becomes the place you wish it to be. If you got 10 to 20 years to wait, then be my guest.
If I move the terrorist win. Terrorist = ghetto people. I stand strong and don't give in. I'm very passionate about improving the Bronx and cleansing it from ghetto people. One tenant at a time, one building at a time, one neighborhood at a time.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Let's see. Oh, that's right. There were several this summer. In at least one of them a small child was killed.
Not sure how to do your silly little "roll eyes" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or