Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Hmmm. Well, you know what those whites are like. There are some good ones...I'm one of em.

I can hardly wait to escape from Nassau County, their "safe haven." It bores my a-- off. I've never met, anywhere, such a dull, ignorant lot.

Maybe that's why they ran away.
There are many diverse communities of Nassau County. A lot of Southwestern Nassau County (and parts of central nassau) is either diverse or black neighborhoods (and there is 1-2 hispanic suburbs as well).

And I agree that mono-racial areas(regardless of the main race) are usually more boring than diverse areas but one positive about such areas is that there is usually more unity and less racial tensions/divisions and race issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 PM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
If indeed you are white (as you say), all you have to do is look at crime stats to see that you are much safer in an all-white area than a heavily "diverse" area. Schools are better too.
So give me the montony of an all or mostly white area any time.
White flight to the suburbs over the years has absolutely nothing to do with skin color, but everything to do with bad behavior and social ills, caused disproportionately by certain groups.
Agreed. Nobody would mind living around some people if they taught their kids to respect people,didn't loiter,and obeyed basic laws. I never hear of anyone moving to avoid Asians.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
/\ Actually, I've heard whites in NE Queens crab about the Chinese and Koreans. Shame since they're entrepenural, friendly and their women are hot.

(puts on flame suit)

Most middle class whites in NYC are blue collar. The vast majority of blue collar folk tend to be bigoted against anything outside their comfort zone, doesn't matter weither it's good or not. I went to tech school to be an electrician and many of those goons...er...people hate ANYTHING that is even microscopically "different". Being mixed race myself, boy oh boy did they burst a blood vessel. Visiting relatives on LI you can just feel the stink eye emulating from everyone around you. I can see why such types flee the boroughs as fast as they can.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Yeah lots of Asians moving in to NE Queens. In 2000, Fresh Meadows was around 55% White and 25-30% Asian, now Asians outnumber whites there.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Queen is really positioned to be an Asian dominated borough, which includes Hispanics as many come from Central/South America and very indigenous (asian). I suspect the "old guard" white exodus will accelerate as these baby boomers retire to Florida, and their kids have long been gone in many cases.

The few whites being hyped in Williamsburg, Harlem etc. are a small segment of the white population and are having only minimal effect on the white flight out of NYC. Many of these whites are from outside the city, but many are also moving from Manhattan as the global elite (of all races) is filling Manhattan communities, pricing out everyone.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Queen is really positioned to be an Asian dominated borough, which includes Hispanics as many come from Central/South America and very indigenous (asian). I suspect the "old guard" white exodus will accelerate as these baby boomers retire to Florida, and their kids have long been gone in many cases.

The few whites being hyped in Williamsburg, Harlem etc. are a small segment of the white population and are having only minimal effect on the white flight out of NYC. Many of these whites are from outside the city, but many are also moving from Manhattan as the global elite (of all races) is filling Manhattan communities, pricing out everyone.
I agree with this, as soon as many of these old guard white get there pensions from NYPD, DSNY and FDNY they will jet out of NYC in a heartbeat or drive out to surronding areas. I agree white Transplants have a minimal effect on slowing down the flight out of NYC. THen you also have Russians and Arabs moving into the city mostly Brooklyn, these groups count as white aswell. I wonder if there is more whites moving out compared to more whites moving in. I wonder if white Transplants and white immigrants from the eastern world can compenste for the loss of white natives? All I can say is that the NYC white natives are vastly different than the white Transplants in every way, shape, and mind.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-12-2011 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 01:39 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Staten Island will probably always be majority White.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with this. I also wanted to add one thing, that the white flight in NYC is still not dead and is still on going. In many traditional white nieghborhoods of central Bronx and south east Bronx aswell as South Brooklyn and various parts of Queens the white population is still declining, whites are still moving into suburbs of the surronding areas and also other parts of the country, last year in Vegas I met Italian transplants from the Bronx, I also have another Italian American friend who is also from Morris Park who now lives in Nevada, I also came across a couple of white NYC transplants who live in NC last year and opened up bussiness. Some white NYC familes either move out togother to other parts or there children leave for better economic options and living options. Five years ago I went to a Beer Garden on 24th avenue. I remember there was some Greeks, Italians and others at the beer garden. I went back to the same Beer Garden lastweek and I noticed all the whites have different American accents or have a generic waspy accent, where did the Greeks and Italians of Astoria all go? White Transplants can not make up for the loss of white New Yorkers becuase Transplants either move to NYC as an individual or for some as married couples cause job transfers to NYC, compared to white New Yorkers who move out as a family of 4 or 5 and others as individual move out. There is a slow decline of white population in NYC, a fast decline of AA, Puerto Ricans are declining aswell, only Asians of all backgrounds and Hispanics continue to increase rapidly.
I pretty much agree with you but I feel some of the white decline is due more to attrition as opposed to traditional white flight of decades past ( that did slow down alot). Alot of the older ethnic whites have died off and there are not enough new white children born to replace them. Also a good percentage of their kids already have left NYC for college, the military, jobs etc. and many have married non native New Yorkers and moved elsewhere and plus the middle class whites have been pretty much priced out of the city. Also the fact that the white decline somewhat did slow down compared to the AAs and the PRs . Their decline is happening at a much faster rate as the former seek greener pastures in the North Jersey suburbs, Westchester Co., NEPA , parts of LI and the southern states and the latter for Jersey ( both North and South) , Eastern Pa. , and Florida. You are right about Asians rapidly increasing as well as Hispanics - mainly Mexican and Central and South Americans ( Dominicans have slowed down) . The only black group that has seen an increase are the African immigrants ( they have settled in parts of Harlem and the West Bronx) and Carribean Blacks have also slowed down.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Staten Island will probably always be majority White.
I wouldn't say always, but it will probably be the last place to find the old ethnic Italian/Irish in large numbers.

Manhattan might become Majority White pretty soon too.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I wouldn't say always, but it will probably be the last place to find the old ethnic Italian/Irish in large numbers.

Manhattan might become Majority White pretty soon too.
IT already is, but its not Native white New Yorkers most are Waspy Transplants, the only native white NEw Yorkers are the Jewish ones who used to live in the Bronx and Brooklyn of yesteryear and now live in million dollar coops and other highrises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City