Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:22 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This is the only thing I agree with. Homeless people in the shelter program are going to be staying in them for LIFE. No longer will the city under Bloomberg's control move them. His friends own those shelter hotels, so he's making sure he places as many as possible in them.

By "housing", they are placed in a shelter hotel. These are all over the city. Each family gets their own room which comes equipped with a fridge, sink and microwave.

I don't know how it works for single homeless people though.

But the city doesn't have to give them regular apartments. This privilege is gone as long as Bloomberg remains in power.

How long will the taxpayers have to foot the bill? This is BS. I think any family on hard times is deseving of entitlement help for about 4 years. After that, it is on them. The old saying is true: teach them to fish, not just depend upon it from fishermen forced to give it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
How long will the taxpayers have to foot the bill? This is BS. I think any family on hard times is deseving of entitlement help for about 4 years. After that, it is on them. The old saying is true: teach them to fish, not just depend upon it from fishermen forced to give it to them.
The city does not house everyone, and believe it or not people do get thrown out of those welfare motels, for fighting, drug dealing, prostitution, and a number of other reasons. The city DOES not house everyone, and no, not everyone is obligated to get an apartment (which the city rarely does these days, they've made big cuts.

You should be happy, things are going in the direction of where you want them to be.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
The old saying is true: teach them to fish
Have you TASTED the fish from the Hudson?

Quote:
The city does not house everyone,
And anyone who has ever ridden the subways knows this to be true.

Quote:
Ebeneezer Scrooge:
Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?
Well, the answer to the second is NO, there are no workhouses, society has decided it cannot afford them...and do you have any clue how expensive it is to imprison a family of 4? Shelters and sleezy apartments come very cheap in comparison.
So we have slipped as a society to some level BELOW the one Dickens thought of as barbaric. Merry Christmas indeed.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Have you TASTED the fish from the Hudson?

And anyone who has ever ridden the subways knows this to be true.
You don't even have to go on the subway to see lots of homeless people. Check out certain parks, or even see them out all over the streets in neighborhoods like the East Village and Chelsea.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Yes indeed the city is now pushing back and doing everything it can to stop housing everyone and anyone for life. There aren't enough funds/space to house everyone in NYC..so why not explore every other alternative before automatically giving someone lifetime housing? Do you have family you can stay with? Friends? etc...nothing wrong with that...although in theory you are at the shelter because you have no other options...the reality is they likely do and just prefer not to use them.

Case in point: My uncle, who is destitute, has 3 grown children who are successful, and 2 younger children that live with his ex-wife. He has 5 brothers and sisters, and an infinite number of nieces and nephews, all of whom have varying abilities to take him in. But none do so...why? Because they know the city will take him, get him an apt, and provide 100% of his needs...and that's the reality of the situation. Until that changes, people will continue to transfer their responsibilities onto the city because they can. What Bloomberg is doing is at least putting more pressure on your own family to take you in, because that's who ultimately should be caring for him...his kids! His brothers/sisters, etc.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

Case in point: My uncle, who is destitute, has 3 grown children who are successful, and 2 younger children that live with his ex-wife. He has 5 brothers and sisters, and an infinite number of nieces and nephews, all of whom have varying abilities to take him in. But none do so...why? Because they know the city will take him, get him an apt, and provide 100% of his needs...and that's the reality of the situation. Until that changes, people will continue to transfer their responsibilities onto the city because they can. What Bloomberg is doing is at least putting more pressure on your own family to take you in, because that's who ultimately should be caring for him...his kids! His brothers/sisters, etc.
\

Why can't he take care of himself? Does he have some disability? Its one thing to let someone temporarily stay with you, or another thing to help someone out with some money. But to try to take care of another adult indefinitely? Its hard enough to support yourself, and heaven forbid you want to get married and have a family! Who would have the time to take care of someone? It sounds like your uncle may need a nursing home, if he can't take care of himself.....

Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Shouldn't you be writing something productive? Here are a few topics:

1. Destiny's Child was neither Destiny nor a Child.
2. Ameobas: Fact of Faked?

Now go.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Spoken like a true hood person. Good stay where you are. We don't need people like you and your kind moving into white neighborhoods and ruining it. Please stay where you are or better yet move out of NY all together so your neighborhood can be gentrified and become safer than the sh1t hole it current is.
Actually I'm not a hood person at all. The post was meant to be sarcastic. and you should know from my previous posts that I'm not hood, as I've posted on the NYC boards often.

My neighborhood is a mixed neighborhood, and the best part about it all; gentrification had absolutely nothing to do with it. I don't live in NY, as you can tell from my profile. I just, really, really, like NY.

I love the hair trigger reactions on C-D.

But since you mention it, if me and all of the other 'hood Black people in NY moved, is that gentrification, or is gentrification when artistic White people move into a Black neighborhood when they still live there? Or is it easier to move into that neighborhood when vacancies abound?

A lot of Blacks leave NY and go back to North Carolina and Georgia, their roots their ancestors left for NYC and Chicago. I guess they can't afford to stay there anymore. Perhaps I should get my s* together so I can move into a White neighborhood and "ruin" it. There are plenty of White neighborhoods that could stand to have me here in Virginia, no need to move to NYC and ruin their party up there. But wait, I thought a lot of White hipsters from the Midwest already did that.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which the city often uses to dump people out of NYC. Got a grandma in Kentucky who says she'll take you back in? Boom, we got your one way ticket to Kentucky. Hit the road Jack, and don'tcha come back No More, No More, No More (Song by Ray Charles).
There is a way to fight this and I know of an organization that will help. Once they get involved, the Gestapo Police shuts down, because they know they can't "legally" enforce this.

They don't care, because for every one person that knows their rights and what to do, a hundred others get scared and do as they're told.

What kills me about the Shelter Gestapo Police is the scare tactics they use to try and force people to take back someone they obviously hate.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobroguy View Post
shouldn't you be writing something productive? Here are a few topics:

1. Destiny's child was neither destiny nor a child.
2. Ameobas: Fact of faked?

Now go.
I tried to rep, but it said I had to spread it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City