U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,186,809 times

Advertisements

Hmmm. Well, you know what those whites are like. There are some good ones...I'm one of em.

I can hardly wait to escape from Nassau County, their "safe haven." It bores my a-- off. I've never met, anywhere, such a dull, ignorant lot.

Maybe that's why they ran away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM

500 posts, read 2,673,835 times
But what's your question, Mr. Dedalus? Or it's just a rant...

White flight in Manhattan is as not as acute as it was in, say, Detroit or Baltimore thirty years ago. Because there's hardly any white
(or any color) middle class left!

In fact, I don't think there's white flight in America anymore- now everyone runs out to the suburbs! Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians...

I'm glad that, if only in the suburban run, America is less segregated and more equal.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
But what's your question, Mr. Dedalus? Or it's just a rant...

White flight in Manhattan is as not as acute as it was in, say, Detroit or Baltimore thirty years ago. Because there's hardly any white
(or any color) middle class left!

In fact, I don't think there's white flight in America anymore- now everyone runs out to the suburbs! Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians...

I'm glad that, if only in the suburban run, America is less segregated and more equal.
It's just a rant. It's a response to some other fellow's caterwauling about people liking to be "with their own."

I find the sole company of "my own" to be somewhat monotonous.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,145 posts, read 3,321,808 times
Default I'll take monotony anyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I find the sole company of "my own" to be somewhat monotonous.
If indeed you are white (as you say), all you have to do is look at crime stats to see that you are much safer in an all-white area than a heavily "diverse" area. Schools are better too.
So give me the montony of an all or mostly white area any time.
White flight to the suburbs over the years has absolutely nothing to do with skin color, but everything to do with bad behavior and social ills, caused disproportionately by certain groups.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
If indeed you are white (as you say), all you have to do is look at crime stats to see that you are much safer in an all-white area than a heavily "diverse" area. Schools are better too.
White flight to the suburbs over the years has absolutely nothing to do with skin color, but everything to do with bad behavior and social ills, caused disproportionately by certain groups.

I give the 'burbs a 'Z' rating. As in; ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

"If indeed you are white (as you say)"

Wow, I never even considered...could I be part...KNEE-GROW?

Horrors.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Yes, it must be true.

After a careful inspection of my fingernails, I've concluded that that...um, fellow must be right. I'm one of THEM.

I've decided to change my name to MANDINGO, and join the Crips, or something.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 PM

500 posts, read 2,673,835 times
You are funny, Mr. Dedalus!

All-white is boooooring. All-any-other-color is boring too, but less so that only-white. There's something with us whites that makes us boring when gathered in large groups.

Diversity is better than monotony, and even though Señor "I like White" Mrkool is kind of right saying that crime in many areas is committed by minorities, I'll take New York City as a reverse example: we've got people of all kinds and colors and countries, and an astonishingly low crime rate (lower than in your all-white suburb).

Besides, in many areas where minorities are almost non-existent, crimes are committed by whites (spiraling suburban crime and the meth epidemic come to my mind).

So, whatever.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 PM

122 posts, read 737,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Holy Brazen Racism, Batman.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Besides, in many areas where minorities are almost non-existent, crimes are committed by whites (spiraling suburban crime and the meth epidemic come to my mind).

So, whatever.
You bet. I once worked with a bunch of oil field guys from Bakersfield, CA. All caucasian. They don't call them "roughnecks" for nothing.

Most of them were decent, blue collar guys with families. But, there were a couple I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, as they say.

That being said, if white people want to "be with their own", as they say, I wouldn't berate them too harshly. I simply, and most emphatically, deny that this is a "natural" way to be. And, it's a taste I don't share.

Last edited by Dedalus; 03-06-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM

9,835 posts, read 21,526,775 times
I've been in some parts of L.I. that were extremely white and I see what Dedalus is talking about. But to be fair not all of L.I. is like that.

And just because an area is mostly white doesn't necesarily equate to a nice area, just like an area being mostly people of color doesn't necessarily make it a bad area.

I think it is overrated in that whole bringing up your kids there sense. I don't think bringing up your children in a sheltered, suburbian environment is ideal. A lot of L.I. people are very ignorant. I hate to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or