Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 PM

84 posts, read 313,608 times

Advertisements

I am bringing my daughter and mother to NYC with me next month for little visit. I have a few meetings in the Lincoln Center area and am lookng for suggestions of a good place to stay near by - prefer to have a suite of some kind without breaking the bank - any suggestions?

Also - I am usually there on business and don't venture out much - any must do/see things from a 5 year olds perspective? She is very adventurous and loves museums, shopping, theatre - so I'm guessing I won't have much difficulty finding stuff to do. But - if you only had a few days what would your highlights list include?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
if she likes museums, take her to the natural history museum, its great for kids and grandmas

Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
There is a chldren zoo in Central Park!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would suggest the Brooklyn Children's Museum (worth the trip) and the Museum of the City of New York for the toy collection and dollhouse.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 AM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times
the easiest option is trump tower, which is within walking distance of Lincoln Center (two blocks), and it will definitely have suite. I dont know how much it gets to break the bank for ya. But I believe trump tower is usually about $595 for the cheapest junior suite a night. two bedroom suites go for 1800 a night. all suites in trump tower are spacious, two bedrooms are 1350 sf, and even the junior suites are just under 500 sf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post
I am bringing my daughter and mother to NYC with me next month for little visit. I have a few meetings in the Lincoln Center area and am lookng for suggestions of a good place to stay near by - prefer to have a suite of some kind without breaking the bank - any suggestions?

Also - I am usually there on business and don't venture out much - any must do/see things from a 5 year olds perspective? She is very adventurous and loves museums, shopping, theatre - so I'm guessing I won't have much difficulty finding stuff to do. But - if you only had a few days what would your highlights list include?

Thanks!

Last edited by lincolnparker; 01-06-2009 at 04:09 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 02:52 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default Grandma & 5 yr old

If I had a few days with young & old:

1. Broadway show like "Lion King"
2. Museum of Natural History
3. Met Museum & Central Park (get a hot dog or pretzel...possibly a carriage ride). The zoo is fun.
4. Go down 5th ave: American Girl has a big place here
5. Rockefeller center (ice skating, Top of the world, hot chocolate)
6. Circle line at night
7. Take the subway.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
If it's a little girl: go to the Museum of the City of New York. They have a wonderful antique toy collection which includes some of the most amazing doll houses you'll ever see. Almost as good as the doll house that the princesses had and which is on display at Windsor Castle.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 PM

84 posts, read 313,608 times
Thanks everyone - all great ideas! Trump is out of our price range....but I found a decent rate at the Buckingham Hotel for a 1 bedroom suite - not the Trump but doable for a few days. Of course I will keep my eye out for any last minute deals :-)

Speaking of deals I was actually looking for tickets for Lion King - does anyone know if there is a "broadway discount code" for this show?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times
The best way is to go to the box office right before the show to see if you can score any last minute deeply discounted tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post
Thanks everyone - all great ideas! Trump is out of our price range....but I found a decent rate at the Buckingham Hotel for a 1 bedroom suite - not the Trump but doable for a few days. Of course I will keep my eye out for any last minute deals :-)

Speaking of deals I was actually looking for tickets for Lion King - does anyone know if there is a "broadway discount code" for this show?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Or try the TKTS booth in Times Square...TKTS Discount Booths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City