Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

The Mini is a fun car. With its price you are right, someone wouldn't worry too much about the abuse it may go thru. I wouldn't want to have my cars in the salt. Lived in Iowa years ago and remember that you needed to exchange the nice wheels for a winter set, and had to treat the undercarriage each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 AM

133 posts, read 466,521 times
If you work in the city, don't get a car. WHen I first moved to the area I brought my car and I constantly got tickets while I was at work because I took the train. I also had someone smash into it while parked.

If you move here and learn the train system you will see how easy it is to live without a car.

If you do bring one, get a used compact so if someone hits you its not a big deal.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 AM

44 posts, read 252,659 times
If you don't absolutely need a car, then I wouldn't have one in the city. My husband needs one for his job. We pay $400-something for our garage for a modest import sedan. A luxury car or SUV is about another $100-150 more.

If you need one, I wouldn't get a really nice or a brand new car. It gets dinged and car washes are far and few between.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
Why do people say nobody drives and then advises to get a used crappy car, but when I travel to NY every other car is a high end luxury car like a BMW or Mercedes and above??????????????????

Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Why do people say nobody drives and then to advises to get a used crappy car, but when I travel to NY every other car is a high end luxury car like a BMW or Mercedes??????????????????
Shhh, don't tell anyone the secret. It's all part of the NYC media hype and brain-washing.

The rich say you don't need a car to keep the streets clear for their cars and drivers.

The middle class and poor say you don't need a car because it justifies their 3rd world driving skills and lack of funds to afford a car and to justify their child-like dependency on someone else to get them from point A to point B.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
On the car wash issue, many garages have a guy who will do a wash/wax for you, and barring that, you can always go to the atteneded washes on the westside, including the one next to H&H factory that's open 24-7. It's great inbetween detail appointments, and you can get fresh, hot bagels at 2am, so it's win-win.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
Oh please, a lot of people in New York drive. The myth that everyone relies on public transportation is beyond silly.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:12 PM

21 posts, read 62,334 times
Put those walking shoes on and GET OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!! Take in the city first hand.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,318 times
I park in Jersey City for $140 month for a garage. It's like $500/mo with tax at my building... I think you can get maybe $400/mo in Chinatown. Unless you're going to New England or Long Island on the reg, it makes more sense in my opinion to park in NJ. Route 4 to 208 and then get on I-87 to get upstate, it will save you a lot in tolls. I've heard of people that go to Long Island a lot parking in Corona or something if they live in Manhattan, it's probably the same idea.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:44 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Charlemagne View Post
I park in Jersey City for $140 month for a garage. It's like $500/mo with tax at my building... I think you can get maybe $400/mo in Chinatown. Unless you're going to New England or Long Island on the reg, it makes more sense in my opinion to park in NJ. Route 4 to 208 and then get on I-87 to get upstate, it will save you a lot in tolls. I've heard of people that go to Long Island a lot parking in Corona or something if they live in Manhattan, it's probably the same idea.
Jersey makes no sense. Plenty of free, safe, street parking with no street cleaning regs in Queens. Just gotta know where to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City