Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The better question is....why are you so desperate to get into NYCHA with 4 kids!!!! Why would you want to subject your children to that 24/7? Have you ever considered LEAVING NYC, as low wage jobs are PLENTIFUL outside of the Metropolitan area and the low wages go MUCH FURTHER elsewhere and can provide a beter quality of life for you and your family. You can actually send your kids to decent public schools, have a decent apt/home with fresh air, yard, safety, good neighbors, good friends for your kids to learn from and play with, healthier community and overall better quality of life for ALL of you. Why not give your kids a CHANCE instead of dooming them to life in the housing projects? There is a BIG COUNTRY OUT THERE...try to find somewhere better for your kids.
That sounds great!

(albeit fairy tale-ish...*s*)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Why in the world would anyone want to attempt to "survive" on a low wage job with 4 kids? The op has been waiting 5 years to get into the program. That is amazing. Did she do anything to improve her life during that timeframe? You could have earned a degree in 5 years. You could have started a home based business in that amount of time. Just wondering why it is that so many wait for assistance when in this nation we the people can accomplish so much more on our own. In the words of JFK, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The better question is....why are you so desperate to get into NYCHA with 4 kids!!!! Why would you want to subject your children to that 24/7? Have you ever considered LEAVING NYC, as low wage jobs are PLENTIFUL outside of the Metropolitan area and the low wages go MUCH FURTHER elsewhere and can provide a beter quality of life for you and your family. You can actually send your kids to decent public schools, have a decent apt/home with fresh air, yard, safety, good neighbors, good friends for your kids to learn from and play with, healthier community and overall better quality of life for ALL of you. Why not give your kids a CHANCE instead of dooming them to life in the housing projects? There is a BIG COUNTRY OUT THERE...try to find somewhere better for your kids.

Good point. Nearly all my students are very poor. I've had a few over the last couple years who moved to Allentown, PA. It was a good move for them.

One of my students' mothers is 25 with 5 kids. They're still living in the shelter. It's been about 6 months. He said he doesn't eat much, his mom has no job and doesn't want to find one, and he can't afford any school supplies. I just don't understand why she doesn't move to somewhere that has a lower cost of living where she doesn't have to put her children through living in a shelter. This student has some serious depression issues and he's only 6 years old.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 166,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
WHERE in the UNITES STATES OF AMERICA can a woman with four kids and working a low wage job survive without government aid?

Please tell us.
You can survive in
Delaware
North Carolina
Texas
Missouri

The list goes on. Average 2 bedroom in those states ranges from 600 - 900

Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
You will likely require assistance anywhere you go, and you will get it everywhere you go, the question is do you ALSO want to expose yourself and your kids to crime, drugs, violence, and every other societal ill? Or do you want to provide a BETTER (although not perfect) life for them..and a CHANCE to have BETTER opportunities. It boggles my mind that a single mom with 4 kids WANTS to live in the housing projects....it is truly sad indeed. What exactly do you have to lose by TRYING to move somewhere better? You have EVERYTHING to gain!!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 AM

151 posts, read 534,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why in the world would anyone want to attempt to "survive" on a low wage job with 4 kids? The op has been waiting 5 years to get into the program. That is amazing. Did she do anything to improve her life during that timeframe? You could have earned a degree in 5 years. You could have started a home based business in that amount of time. Just wondering why it is that so many wait for assistance when in this nation we the people can accomplish so much more on our own. In the words of JFK, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.
Hard to improve your life when you work all day then have to spend all night taking care of 4 kids. Tell me where she would find the time to go to school. If she had a sitter that might be possible but sitters cost money. Though I agree with the main point of your argument, people need to strive to better themselves.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:05 AM

151 posts, read 534,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
WHERE in the UNITES STATES OF AMERICA can a woman with four kids and working a low wage job survive without government aid?

Please tell us.
Nowhere but you can have a much better life in other states while having a low paying job and govt. aid. Perfect example is Madison WI, a very liberal town that extends lots of help to low income families.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 AM

125 posts, read 394,421 times
First off moving out of state cost money even if she were to move then what? She will need a job etc...govt housing may not be the best but it seems like its the best she can do.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 PM

101 posts, read 562,777 times
Thats not the best she can do. Honestly I would NEVER opt to live in NYC with 4 young impressionable kids and in NYCHA housing projects are you kidding me? If she doesnt give a crap about her children's future SURE go on and move in the projects but I saw first hand what those projects are like. The kids are bad...the teenagers just smoke weed have sex,skip and drop out of school, curse all the time, fight all the time gang mentality thug mentality disrespectful ..No way can you shield your kid from that crap living in NYCHA housing ....Truth be told she may NEVER get into NYCHA...My counselor applied for NYCHA housing 7 years ago had two interviews and she is still on the list. I live in NYC with my 2 kids but they are babies but you better believe I will not raise my kids in NYC . I have a 3 year game plan to get the heck outta here . Also most of the housing projects only have one or 2 bedrooms...2 bedrooms with 4 kids? You dug a hole for yourself now you have to dig yourself out...Go to school get a better job and move into decent housing...You dont HAVE to live in NYCHA ...That would be my last choice. Once you move into the projects you are STUCK..Folks live there for generations and because you pay rent by income you always have a roof over your head but why would you want to live there?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arangoa79 View Post
Hard to improve your life when you work all day then have to spend all night taking care of 4 kids. Tell me where she would find the time to go to school. If she had a sitter that might be possible but sitters cost money. Though I agree with the main point of your argument, people need to strive to better themselves.
The OP does have access to the internet. Plenty of schools have online programs where she can earn an education. I am not just talking about the non traditional programs. Many state schools and private schools have programs for working adults that can be accomplished over the internet. In todays world I just don't think that their is an excuse for not getting an education. I worked full time and went to school full time while assisting my wife in raising our 6 kids. Yes I do have a wife that has helped me along the way. At the same time I ended up completing assignments at 2 and 3 am just to be at work by 8am. Our situations are differant, I get it. Still it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City