U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 29,016 times
Default how long on nycha waiting list before i get the apartment

I have been on the waiting list for 5 years and can't take this no more, with 4 kids and a low paying job i have no choice but to wait. Is there some law that states i could do something about the waiting? Do i have to choice a specific building or can i just pick a specific borough? Any help will be greatly welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 AM

838 posts, read 2,014,448 times
sorry to break this to you, but

I have been on the waiting list for 5 years and can't take this no more, with 4 kids and a low paying job i have no choice but to wait. Is there some law that states i could do something about the waiting?

Not really

Do i have to choice a specific building or can i just pick a specific borough?
No

Any help will be greatly welcomed.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 AM

878 posts, read 1,840,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosadivina View Post
I have been on the waiting list for 5 years and can't take this no more, with 4 kids and a low paying job i have no choice but to wait. Is there some law that states i could do something about the waiting? Do i have to choice a specific building or can i just pick a specific borough? Any help will be greatly welcomed.
I think you can get a borough preference but it is not guaranteed. From my understanding, your preference can make the wait longer especially if you have opted for Manhattan. As far as the wait though, it can take a long time to be accepted especially if there are no extentuating circumstances involved in your application for housing.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 63,498 times
go 2 the nycha office and request the staten island outreach housing application.your wait time would drop significantly guaranteed.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,304,273 times
The better question is....why are you so desperate to get into NYCHA with 4 kids!!!! Why would you want to subject your children to that 24/7? Have you ever considered LEAVING NYC, as low wage jobs are PLENTIFUL outside of the Metropolitan area and the low wages go MUCH FURTHER elsewhere and can provide a beter quality of life for you and your family. You can actually send your kids to decent public schools, have a decent apt/home with fresh air, yard, safety, good neighbors, good friends for your kids to learn from and play with, healthier community and overall better quality of life for ALL of you. Why not give your kids a CHANCE instead of dooming them to life in the housing projects? There is a BIG COUNTRY OUT THERE...try to find somewhere better for your kids.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 14,319 times
Im about to be evicted from my home in less than a month from now. How long will it take for me to be able to get into housing. If I already had my interview for an apartment,which was a month ago.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 63,498 times
did they put u on the waiting list for a specific development or boro yet?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM

5,533 posts, read 4,948,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The better question is....why are you so desperate to get into NYCHA with 4 kids!!!! Why would you want to subject your children to that 24/7? Have you ever considered LEAVING NYC, as low wage jobs are PLENTIFUL outside of the Metropolitan area and the low wages go MUCH FURTHER elsewhere and can provide a beter quality of life for you and your family. You can actually send your kids to decent public schools, have a decent apt/home with fresh air, yard, safety, good neighbors, good friends for your kids to learn from and play with, healthier community and overall better quality of life for ALL of you. Why not give your kids a CHANCE instead of dooming them to life in the housing projects? There is a BIG COUNTRY OUT THERE...try to find somewhere better for your kids.
WHERE in the UNITES STATES OF AMERICA can a woman with four kids and working a low wage job survive without government aid?

Please tell us.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,748,091 times
marilyn...nowhere, but the fact does remain that there are certainly areas where her wages will provide a better life for the family. The hard part is getting the resources for the move together.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 14,149 times
Default how much longer?

I allready had my interview and it was for a lottery. The development and boro were chosen for me. How much longer is this process. ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City