Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Let's not get carried away by our own rhetoric.
The irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
The irony.
LOL. I know.....it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

LOL justfarr, keep posting, buddy. You're making good points whether I agree or not with all of them. See ya later.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
LOL. I know.....it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

LOL justfarr, keep posting, buddy. You're making good points whether I agree or not with all of them. See ya later.
Have a good day and go see "Notorious" while your gone.

(free advertisement)

Old 01-17-2009, 03:08 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
Quote:
The stats don't prove it's safe either.

And to my knowledge noone has yet to suggest that anyone should run and hide in their bathtub for fear of stray bullets comming in their living rooms (at least I haven't).

My main focal point is to remember that there are still ALOT of very dangerous inviduals roaming this city and PLENTY of dangerous areas that remain breeding grounds for crime, so people should NOT get lulled into a false sense of reality that we are completely safe, even if you live in a decent neighborhood persay.
But the topic of this thread is 'Is NYC becoming dangerous again?' Again like what? Numbers are somewhat similar to that of 2007 (maybe higher in some cases, Cops underreporting and that crap) and much lower than 2006. Dangerous make it sound like early 90's dangerous or is it 70's dangerous? Or what will really make it dangerous to be in the city? Maybe it was still dangerous all these years that crime has been coming down anyway. At least for some of the victims. Like someone else say, crime two or three years ago was higher much higher than 2008. So was the city too dangerous back then? Of course there were sensational violent crime news stories and all back then as well. Why will 2008 crime stats make it more dangerous? So this thread is about people perceptions. Well some people experience crime in 2006 and 2007. So I am sure they felt like the city was dangerous back then. So what to believe then?

Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 PM

195 posts, read 741,490 times
Of course, the crimes will go up!
Unfortunately, we have people that are born "evil."
....Not to mention, they lost their jobs!
It is time for them to "hunt!"

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
But the topic of this thread is 'Is NYC becoming dangerous again?' Again like what? Numbers are somewhat similar to that of 2007 (maybe higher in some cases, Cops underreporting and that crap) and much lower than 2006. Dangerous make it sound like early 90's dangerous or is it 70's dangerous? Or what will really make it dangerous to be in the city? Maybe it was still dangerous all these years that crime has been coming down anyway. At least for some of the victims. Like someone else say, crime two or three years ago was higher much higher than 2008. So was the city too dangerous back then? Of course there were sensational violent crime news stories and all back then as well. Why will 2008 crime stats make it more dangerous? So this thread is about people perceptions. Well some people experience crime in 2006 and 2007. So I am sure they felt like the city was dangerous back then. So what to believe then?
The question is fair to ask given the recent upstick in murder and other crime categories (especially in some neighborhoods). Not to mention the state of the economy (which I think it's safe to say that it could only get worst until something is done to stabilize it). But once again, far from indicating that the city is turning into Baghdad (so I don't agree with you there).

If the thread said something like "NYC - Just like the 90s again" or "NYC - Land of the Lawless" then I could agree with your statement. You ask like what? That's the issue at hand. Based on the current "stats" if you compared this year with pretty much ANY year in the 90s (especially early to mid) you would say it's "safe". However, not all neighborhoods are experiencing this upward trend. As I previously stated, SAFE all depends on the person and what there definition of that is therefore "Like what" has to be asked individually.

My definition is like I said in another similar thread. When I come out of my building, people are selling drugs and hanging in the halways. When I go outside there are guys wearing blue bandanas right in front giving mean looks and there are still murders in my area and near by. That's the same as it was in the 90s and early 2000's so for me, safety starts with my neighborhood (and for the record I don't even live in the worst part of Flatbush). 2nd, with me being a black man, my chances of being murdered, robbed etc are almost trippled (Now those are some "stats" for you number guys). So in MY world, safe is far from reality. Improved from the 90s? Yes. Bloomberg's "Safest City In The World"? Maybe in Soho but not in Flatbush.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 PM

195 posts, read 741,490 times
I remember back in the early 80's!
The criminal were out and they were waiting for their victims right around the subway station! Once they saw their "target." They would hunt/hurt until they got what they wanted.
It is going to happen again!
Just watch!
...and just wait!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
Quote:
The question is fair to ask given the recent upstick in murder and other crime categories (especially in some neighborhoods). Not to mention the state of the economy (which I think it's safe to say that it could only get worst until something is done to stabilize it). But once again, far from indicating that the city is turning into Baghdad (so I don't agree with you there).

If the thread said something like "NYC - Just like the 90s again" or "NYC - Land of the Lawless" then I could agree with your statement. You ask like what? That's the issue at hand. Based on the current "stats" if you compared this year with pretty much ANY year in the 90s (especially early to mid) you would say it's "safe". However, not all neighborhoods are experiencing this upward trend. As I previously stated, SAFE all depends on the person and what there definition of that is therefore "Like what" has to be asked individually.

My definition is like I said in another similar thread. When I come out of my building, people are selling drugs and hanging in the halways. When I go outside there are guys wearing blue bandanas right in front giving mean looks and there are still murders in my area and near by. That's the same as it was in the 90s and early 2000's so for me, safety starts with my neighborhood (and for the record I don't even live in the worst part of Flatbush). 2nd, with me being a black man, my chances of being murdered, robbed etc are almost trippled (Now those are some "stats" for you number guys). So in MY world, safe is far from reality. Improved from the 90s? Yes. Bloomberg's "Safest City In The World"? Maybe in Soho but not in Flatbush.
So is it fair to say instead my neighborhood NAME (in this case Flatbush) becoming dangerous again as opposed to NYC becoming dangerous again? Because like you say it depends on what neighborhood you are living in. Where I live, I still feel as when I was living two or four, etc, years ago. When I visit my old neighborhood in Queens, and visit my friends they haven't feel any danger again, like they did in the late 80's, early 90's. It seems like a lot of New Yorkers don't feel in that danger again. But like I say in some neighborhoods, like Flatbush (and since you are a young black person), I will understand why you will feel in danger all the time. Seems like that neighborhood has been having problems for a while though, according to stats. Even right after the crack epidemic of the 90's, the neighborhood still have its hot spots. But lets not kid ourselves, people who remember the bad old days, must think that it is much safer than back then, even if it still has a long way to go to be as safe like SOHO.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:

Great post.

But let's face it. City Hall never cared about working class/middle class communites and never will. Most of the people probably fighting you on this thread are white gentrifiers who are more concerned with the well-being of their real estate values than the saftey of actual NYers. It's sad, but that's the way it's been since Guiliani. Look out for yourself and don't worry about what pompous fools tell you isn't true in front of your own eyes.

Stay safe and stay cool. People on here can close their ears and eyes all they want, that'll only make you more grossly unprepared when the crime wave does hit....

Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
So is it fair to say instead my neighborhood NAME (in this case Flatbush) becoming dangerous again as opposed to NYC becoming dangerous again? Because like you say it depends on what neighborhood you are living in. Where I live, I still feel as when I was living two or four, etc, years ago. When I visit my old neighborhood in Queens, and visit my friends they haven't feel any danger again, like they did in the late 80's, early 90's. It seems like a lot of New Yorkers don't feel in that danger again...
Well, I didn't start the thread (so you have to ask him), but if it was me I wouldn't have asked the question regardless because Flatbush (and my neighborhood) was ALWAYS high crime (dangerous). What I believe (I'm am not the poster by the way) is that he was trying to ask basically, is this recent upstick just typical "variation" OR is this a forwarning that things could possibly take a turn for worst thus being a cause for a greater concern.

As you stated, most of the people that make those comments do so because in actuality there saying not dangerous "like the late 80s/early90s". On the contrary, 522 murders is alot of murders no matter how you look at it and crime is high in general (compared to the rest of the country overall). We MUST NOT fall into complacency (which I see plenty of signs of) because to do so is to ignore reality which is things can get worse and there is still ALOT of work to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles
Great post.

But let's face it. City Hall never cared about working class/middle class communites and never will. Most of the people probably fighting you on this thread are white gentrifiers who are more concerned with the well-being of their real estate values than the saftey of actual NYers. It's sad, but that's the way it's been since Guiliani. Look out for yourself and don't worry about what pompous fools tell you isn't true in front of your own eyes.

Stay safe and stay cool. People on here can close their ears and eyes all they want, that'll only make you more grossly unprepared when the crime wave does hit....
Thankyou.

I won't make that general assumption about people who disagree with me here (because I don't know them) but you bring up a valid point. People being more concerned with real estate values than real results. Another interesting point is how the areas that are more "desirable" to the hipsters and gentrifiers that you speak of are always the areas that see the most "improvement". The correlation that exists there is impossible to ignore. Futhermore, areas in the NYC suburbs and New Jersey have seen increases in crime as well. Is this because of gentrification and the inhabitants of these neighborhoods being pushed out? Maybe it's true, NY does dump it's "garbage" in other states (Jersey). The fact that this mostly only happens to blacks and hispanics shows clearly there is an underlying issue that needs to be further addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City