Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Ten years ago I would walk around Coney Island at night, today I wouldn't dare. Things are getting worse in some areas. Perhaps there is a greater police presence in Mott Haven now than previous years, hence that small segment of the city may be seeing drops. But from my own personal experience, I've been watching crime start to go up again in places like Ridgewood, Bushwick, Glendale, Ozone Park, Elmhurst, Coney Island, and several other neighborhoods. Mostly in the form of armed robberies, stolen cars or parts, property crimes, vandalization, and burglaries. Also, take into account that people spend less time outdoors in winter, so crime isn't as high as in summer. I predict this summer will see a noticable increase in crime across the board.
Are you a cop?

And what do you mean by crime "starting" to go up - does that mean in the past 6 months, or past year?

If so, (and if you are not a cop) to be a witness to all those crimes in all those disparate neighborhoods in only one year means you really get around!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
a couple of weeks ago in my nabe there were alot of car breakins and damage to people cars! Then just last night around midnight a group of teens were arrested for trying to break in to a car! Lets not hit the panic button!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Crime hasn't been going down in Mott Haven. So dont listen to SoBro guy please. Mott Haven was one of the few neighborhoods tha total crime increased. Although by a little bit, it increased. And if you take the current "south" Bronx precincts of 40, 41, 42 and 44, then you have a sharp uptick in homicides from 07 to 08. The reason the Bronx had only 2 more homicides than last, was because the other precincts saw decreases. But the "south" Bronx area was one of the cities hot spots.

You guys are delusional. When you have so many people, who are actually on the streets, personally say they feel more unsafe now, then I suggest you listen to them. I am one of those people. I am getting a vibe, that is unlike years passed. It's the little things, and the current crime trends, along with the state of the economy which leave me almost certain that we're in for a crime wave.

How much? Is yet to be determined.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I am getting a vibe, that is unlike years passed. It's the little things, and the current crime trends, along with the state of the economy which leave me almost certain that we're in for a crime wave.

How much? Is yet to be determined.

At least I feel this is an honest observation. The vibe you get and the little things you see on the street can be really important.

I'm much more interested in hearing about that than I am about people who are jumping to conclusions based on the evening news stories watched from the comfort of their living rooms.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 PM

I just read the news today and it seems that a 300 lb knife-wielding madman was going around stabbing people in Queens so I am definitely not going outside anymore.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I agree with Super Mario that things are a little more up in the air right now, and I also take seriously observations of people on the street as opposed to whatever source one has for the information. IMO, human intelligence is always more reliable about a given area, especailly when one synthesizes varied opinions to form a baseline of said area. A little unease here or there can be dismissed by some, but it does speak to the overall condition of the streets in various neighborhoods, and can be a valuable indication as to whcih way the statistics are starting to fluctuate.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
I think that there is a vibe like I said with those teenage kids, a small group if it was all them did a lot of damage! I just think that we need to give it 6 months or so and then see what's going on! There are always up and down ticks, but it takes time to determine if there is a trend that we should be concerned! We should also be extra alert if we have that feeling, wich I don't yet have! Maybe it's starting in the Bronx already I will take your guys word for that!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Well I live in the community, aka Mott Haven, that youa re speaking of and I can tell you that it feels no less safe than last year, nor is there any noticeable increase in crime, either a feeling or from the stats. There IS a heavier police presence however, and that is a GOOD thing. SuperWario, although I udnerstand why you believe crime is going up in 2009, you cry wolf too often. Every year it is the same story..crime is about to explode..the Bronx is in a downward spiral and other such obvious misinformation...so you have 0 credibility. It is important to consider people's opinions who live in the communities, and not just the stats. However, just cuz they FEEL differently, or SEE more crime,does not mean crime is increasing. It could be anything! I look at the stats and there is 0 indication that crime is increasing...in fact crime continues to GO DOWN. So why do people keep pushing the idea that crime is going up? I don't get it. You are trying very hard to paint the Bronx as a brough in a "downward spiral" but the FACTS do not support you, nor does anyone else who lives in the borough, which includes myself.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Sorry, But I side with Mario. The mission of any police department is to make residents feel safe, not feed into the gentrification-politics-complex. If crime is beginning to resurface, we have a golden oppertunity to stomp it out before it starts that we missed in the late 1950s (When NYC started to become dangerous all the way till the mid-1990s). Preception is reality and the preception is NY is deteriorating on a QOL level. Immigrants can move elsewhere and so can the yuppies. With Wall St obliterated, NY has very little leg to stand on as compared to the past...

Sitting here and playing the "Hear no evil, see no evil" game will only get you so far. Once the gentrifiers begin to get hit, then you can kiss NY goodbye. They'll leave and so will the Mexican/Arab/Chinese/African immigrants. At least it was cheap to live here in the 70s. Now, not so much.

NY has mad issues under the surface. Poor schools, high costs, crumbling economic base, and a massive welfare underclass waiting to rear it's ugly head like it did during incidents like the 77' blackout....

Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Ten years ago I would walk around Coney Island at night, today I wouldn't dare. Things are getting worse in some areas. Perhaps there is a greater police presence in Mott Haven now than previous years, hence that small segment of the city may be seeing drops. But from my own personal experience, I've been watching crime start to go up again in places like Ridgewood, Bushwick, Glendale, Ozone Park, Elmhurst, Coney Island, and several other neighborhoods. Mostly in the form of armed robberies, stolen cars or parts, property crimes, vandalization, and burglaries. Also, take into account that people spend less time outdoors in winter, so crime isn't as high as in summer. I predict this summer will see a noticable increase in crime across the board.
You walked around coney Island at night in 98-99. Your crazy. lol

I dunno, but personally I was somewhat traumatized from the 80's early 90's when it comes to Coney Island, so I have a hard time picturing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City