U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 PM

31 posts, read 108,408 times
Default 2 weeks enough to find a rental apartment?

Here's a question about timing. I want to arrive mid-August in NYC and find a place to rent and move in for Sept 1. I am not overly particular about the aesthetics of the place, but I do have a few requirements that will make the hunting harder: 1) a big dog, 2) a desire to be in a fairly nice and accessible neighborhood, 3) a need to rent for 4 months only.

That said, is it realistic to think that I can find a place in 2 weeks? I'll be paying to stay in a motel meanwhile, so I can't afford to search forever. I saw one post (from a while back) that recommended three good days of searching, whereas other people have told me that 2 weeks is nowhere near enough time. I'm curious to get wider feedback.

If it matters, I'm looking at a budget of under $3,000 monthly, hoping for Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Forest Hills, or UWS. The one thing in my favor is that I'll be able to devote entire days to apartment searching and won't be hampered by a work schedule or other obligations. But if it really takes at least 6 weeks to find an apartment, I need to know up front (it seems kind of risky to arrange for a place sight unseen just to line it up in advance...I'm coming from California and can't do an advance run).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM

90 posts, read 291,060 times
I think your biggest problem will be the big dog. If you're looking for a sublet, you'll not only have to convince the landlord to take it but the primary tenant. Convincing the landlord is hard enough.

That said, finding a place that you're happy with in two weeks shouldn't be a problem. It's not as if vacancies are hard to come by, and landlords sometimes don't even know their vacancies until 30 days in advance anyway so it might even be harder to line something up 6 weeks out than it is to line it up two weeks out. That said, I might focus on apartments that have been on the market for more than a month. Those landlords might be more willing to give you a 4 month lease. September to December seems like an uncommon sublet period, so I don't know if that will make it harder.

One more note about the dog...is it staying with you in the motel? I've heard of some landlords who will want to meet the dog before letting it stay in the place.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 PM

3,247 posts, read 3,045,736 times
My take is totally different. I'd be very surprised if you found a place quickly. If you're talking about four months, that's likely a sublet, and I don't think most sublets would be dog-friendly.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 PM

172 posts, read 315,253 times
Two weeks is plenty of time. One can rarely get an apartment more than a month ahead, in any case. Turnover is too quick.

Your 4-month requirement might be tricky, but there's always something. If you have money, you won't end up on the street! Of course, you could end up wasting some money on a broker, which you might use as a fallback, especially if the first week doesn't turn up much. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:58 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,184,135 times
As someone has already said: a dog in a sublet will be an issue.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:23 PM

31 posts, read 108,408 times
Thanks for the tips. I take it, then, that month-to-month arrangements aren't too common. It sounds like it's either a year-lease or a sublet. Thanks also about the tip of having the dog ready to present to the landlord. I will definitely do so.

I am a little surprised at a lot of the negative forecasts I've gotten regarding sublets with a dog because when I browse Craiglist for sublets, dogs OK, I get a ton of results. But I'm getting the sinking feeling that many are bogus -- jerks seem to check everything as ok just so their ad will get more hits. Has anyone else found that to be true, or have other reasons why I shouldn't take Craigslist as an encouraging sign that subletting with a dog is doable?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM

57 posts, read 130,332 times
My advice is before you sign a lease with ANY landlord, check to see if the apartment has "bugs" (i.e. cockaroaches). My daughter made the mistake of leasing an apartment WITHOUT checking this out first. She lives in Kew Gardens which is a safe place to live but she now regrets not taking the time to ASK THE NEIGHBORS whether there were bugs or not.

She is now moving to a NEW apartment in Brooklyn and can't wait! Each night she has to deal with them. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccatlady View Post
My advice is before you sign a lease with ANY landlord, check to see if the apartment has "bugs" (i.e. cockaroaches). My daughter made the mistake of leasing an apartment WITHOUT checking this out first. She lives in Kew Gardens which is a safe place to live but she now regrets not taking the time to ASK THE NEIGHBORS whether there were bugs or not.

She is now moving to a NEW apartment in Brooklyn and can't wait! Each night she has to deal with them. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them!
If he follows this advice he'll NEVER find an apartment. And a building that doesn't have a problem one week, may have them the next. But that's really par for the course in many NYC buildings.

I've been fortunate, my current building has no insects and hasn't in the five years I've lived here.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 AM

10,142 posts, read 18,017,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If he follows this advice he'll NEVER find an apartment. And a building that doesn't have a problem one week, may have them the next. But that's really par for the course in many NYC buildings.

I've been fortunate, my current building has no insects and hasn't in the five years I've lived here.
yeah, what Viralmd said...

just buy some bombs, and clean your kitchen frequently. roaches i can win the war against, but mice i will not stand for. i am hunting for an apartment now, and when i get one, i will be getting a cat as well.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
yeah, what Viralmd said...

just buy some bombs, and clean your kitchen frequently. roaches i can win the war against, but mice i will not stand for. i am hunting for an apartment now, and when i get one, i will be getting a cat as well.
Bombs should NOT be used in a home with a DOG!!! That's extremely dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City