Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM

14 posts, read 99,092 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Rockaway park, B124th street
what kind of neighbourhood is it and how safe would you say it gets at night?
how pleasant or unpleasant is a ride on the "A" train?

I'm kind of scared of going back home alone at night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
The neighborhood is perfectly safe. In fact, the area around Beach 124 Street is getting towards Belle Harbor--that part of the Rockaways is pretty close to exclusive!

The ride on the A train at night isn't as scary as people make it out to be, although it takes a long time to get out to the Rockaways. Partly because it runs local after about 11:00PM. And partly because there's no direct service to Rockaway Park. You have to transfer at Broad Channel for the shuttle train going between there and Beach 116 Street.

You might find buses to be a better, if not faster, option. Q21 from the Rockaway Boulevard station on the A line, or Q53 from Woodhaven Boulevard on the R (the E train will stop there at night, too).

Old 01-15-2009, 04:54 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
The Q21's last run towards Rockaway Park is around 9pm and the Q53 around 12am. How late is too late? The real late night alternate would be the 2 train to Brooklyn College and the Q35 from there, which runs all night every 30 minutes.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM

195 posts, read 741,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
The Q21's last run towards Rockaway Park is around 9pm and the Q53 around 12am. How late is too late? The real late night alternate would be the 2 train to Brooklyn College and the Q35 from there, which runs all night every 30 minutes.
I was robbed twice on the #2 Train!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:25 PM

824 posts, read 2,790,795 times
Pros:
1. The Beach
2. The Beach
3. The Beach

Cons:
There is nothing to do except #1,#2,#3

Seriously, it is an immaculate neighborhood. Not so much as a cigarette butt or piece of paper on the street. It is very safe. But being so removed from the rest of the city, it is rather insular. The people almost have their own accent. A car is required--it's like living in the suburbs. There is literally nothing to do except the beach or bars or hang out at someone's house. There isn't even a movie theater. Except for the bars, almost everything shuts down fairly early. Forget about talking a quick walk to get a snack from a deli. I dislike the A train in general. Getting to Manhattan from the 116th stop takes around 1 1/2 hours, though it's faster during rush hours as there is direct service rather than the shuttle to and from Broad Channel. But late night, inlcuding the walk to B 124th, you're looking at almost two hours. But I've never felt unsafe on the A train, even very late at night.

But the beach is fantastic. I've been to beaches in the Hamptons and in Hawaii, and I think Rockaway is terrific, as you get to B 124th it's more locals than day-trippers. It's really quite wonderful.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Many people think of the ghettos when then think of Rockaway, but anything above Beach 116th Street is very nice.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 AM

14 posts, read 99,092 times
so besides the neighbourhood being boring I'm not facing any life threats or a chance to get robbed on the street?
I'm fine with boring neighbourhoods, doesn't bother me that much since I will be spending most of my time in the city anyways.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:21 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
Used to take the A to Lefferts way back growing up. It was generally fine, never had a problem. Although if you take it after midnight it might look a little scary

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieXS View Post
so besides the neighbourhood being boring I'm not facing any life threats or a chance to get robbed on the street?
I'm fine with boring neighbourhoods, doesn't bother me that much since I will be spending most of my time in the city anyways.

I spent alot of time there back in the day and still keep in touch with some old friends there. The answer is 'no', it is not dangerous at all. Belle Harbor is a middle to upper middle class neighborhood. The blocks closer to the ocean are wealthier, big surprise. The ones closer to the Bay are more modest, but still nice by almost any measure.

Commuting to the City can be nightmarish, but others already spelled out your options. I would add that if you are into biking, you could bike across the Gil Hodges bridge and use bike trails and lanes all the way through Brooklyn.

The only thing I would emphasize is something already mentioned- how insular a community it can be. Belle Harbor is like a small town in many ways. Its mostly Irish and the people have all known each other for their whole lives. Its never taken off as a commuter burb and never seen a huge influx. The geography also adds to this.

Not a bad thing at all. Just something to keep in mind when you move there. You will have to establish yourself as you would moving to any long-established community.

Rockapulco is unique. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City