Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,033,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
INCORRECT. You must not remember NYC Chinatown in the 80s and 90s. But if you think that's something look at Chinatown in San Francisco, CA (others as well but we'll take San Fran). It is a known fact (you can look it up from the FBI if you want) that Chinese organized crime (Tongs/Triads) are the most powerful organized crime in the world, even more than the Italian Mafia. There are AT LEAST a 100,000 KNOWN Asian mobsters in the world. They limit violence to very small doses now of days and there gang is ran like a business. There government in Asian countries and Asian Organized crime runs hand in hand being that they have people EVERYWHERE. The media does not focus in on this because as we know in this country the microscope is always on "Tysean and Carlos" rather "Vegatable Duck". The fact is that Asians are no different from Blacks, Hispanics, Italians, Eastern Europeans and etc. We all have our bad apples as there are just some evil human beings in the world. But this notion that Asians barely commit crimes is absurd for someone living there (mainly a Chinese immigrants business owners) might paint a different picture.

Rusty said crime rates are very low among Asian Americans, which is supported by the FBI data.

(From the FBI: Of all adults (persons age 18 and over) arrested nationwide in 2007, 70.2 percent were white, 27.7 percent were black, and the remaining percentage was of other races. )

Are you saying that Rusty is incorrect about his statement that Asians have a low crime rate because it's incorrect to refer to the data from the FBI? And that the Chinese are actually committing tons of crime in their triads (etc) and too smart to get caught -- and that's why their crimes are not reflected in the FBI's data?

If so (please confirm as I am not sure I am interpreting what you're saying correctly), then why would we rely on FBI statistics for some things but assume that other of their data are unreliable?

Also, how else would you measure crime rate, if any data you gather about arrest rates or conviction rates must be assumed to be incorrect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Asian-Americans represent less than 5% of the U.S. population
And?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,546,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Rusty said crime rates are very low among Asian Americans, which is supported by the FBI data.

(From the FBI: Of all adults (persons age 18 and over) arrested nationwide in 2007, 70.2 percent were white, 27.7 percent were black, and the remaining percentage was of other races. )

Are you saying that Rusty is incorrect about his statement that Asians have a low crime rate because it's incorrect to refer to the data from the FBI? And that the Chinese are actually committing tons of crime in their triads (etc) and too smart to get caught -- and that's why their crimes are not reflected in the FBI's data?

If so (please confirm as I am not sure I am interpreting what you're saying correctly), then why would we rely on FBI statistics for some things but assume that other of their data are unreliable?

Also, how else would you measure crime rate, if any data you gather about arrest rates or conviction rates must be assumed to be incorrect?
interesting observations.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 AM

657 posts, read 1,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna

I apologize as I should've been more clear. When I said "INCORRECT" it wasn't JUST based on the last comment he made, rather a large portion of comments made by N.Y. Traveler and when I read Rusty's comment it triggered my reaction. It is as if he (NY Traveler) is portraying Asians out to be people who generally don't commit crimes at all and are incapable of such act's as murder, extortion, raketeering etc. But I do apologize Rusty for jumping to conclusions about what you said.

As far as FBI data, when I gave them as a reference it was for those people (because I know there are plenty) who need there information from an "official" source or else it is not credible. YES I stand by my statements firmly. Like I've said in the past on this forum, "Liars figure, figures lie". Do you watch sports? (or anybody for that matter) If I told you that a quaterback threw 4 interceptions, fumbled twice, threw for 100 yards and no touchdowns and said "Henna, do you think he won the game?" You would say "of course not". Then if I told you he won you would be completely shocked. Point being, numbers don't always tell the WHOLE STORY.

So what do we use then you say? I never said we shouldn't use any official police and government sources, but what I am saying is that we have to sometimes read between the lines of things and take what is given to us and use creative independent thought and analysis to formulate our own conclusions. Here are some other stats for you that ARE FACTS (because I know you love them):

1. Triads/Yakuza (In that order, ASIANS by the way) are the largest most power ORGANIZED CRIME (the media's word for gangbangers) in the world 2nd to none (Not Italians, Irish, Russians, Albanians, Columbians, Mexicans, Blacks, NOONE.

2. Each one (Triad and Yakuza) currently has WELL over 100,000 KNOWN members and gross hundreds of BILLIONS annualy. Some of the groups have existed since the 1600s. They have secret traditions, rituals (even for initiation), handshakes and EVEN SIGN LANGUAGE (The same things that goes on in South Central, the place NY Traveler mentioned). The largest known gang in the world is the 14K Triad (Bigger than ANY gang in South Central). They participate in all forms of criminal activity but their most lucrative form of business is trafficking of illegal immigrants (mainly women). It is estimated that the earnings of trafficking of illegal immigrants is 3.2 Billion a year yet is punishable in most of Europe and the United States of only 5 years in prison.

3. Asian immigrants RARELY (very RARELY) go to the police as this has been stated numerous times by police/government officials and even Asian gangsters who have turned there life around and are now speaking about Asian culture. The reason being there history with corrupt law enforcement and politicians back in their native lands (which is the reason why Triads started).

Now based on these facts, I must disagree with Rusty and NY Traveler.

Last edited by justfarr1030; 01-19-2009 at 01:46 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 AM

195 posts, read 740,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

I don't think they know how to use evidence to support their opinion!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 AM

Default The white guy was "murdered." Poor him! RIP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
So you that's what you meant by the person who didn't belong there. You were referring to the story about the white guy who was hit by a car trying to get away in Harlem by a bunch of kids chasing him. Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to be accompanied by my Austrian toy tucked in my waistband this Thursday since I'm heading out to Chinatown. I feel at ease now.
Exactly, it was a white guy hit by a car because he was chased by a group of "wild animals!"

Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
I apologize as I should've been more clear. When I said "INCORRECT" it wasn't JUST based on the last comment he made, rather a large portion of comments made by N.Y. Traveler and when I read Rusty's comment it triggered my reaction. It is as if he (NY Traveler) is portraying Asians out to be people who generally don't commit crimes at all and are incapable of such act's as murder, extortion, raketeering etc. But I do apologize Rusty for jumping to conclusions about what you said.

As far as FBI data, when I gave them as a reference it was for those people (because I know there are plenty) who need there information from an "official" source or else it is not credible. YES I stand by my statements firmly. Like I've said in the past on this forum, "Liars figure, figures lie". Do you watch sports? (or anybody for that matter) If I told you that a quaterback threw 4 interceptions, fumbled twice, threw for 100 yards and no touchdowns and said "Henna, do you think he won the game?" You would say "of course not". Then if I told you he won you would be completely shocked. Point being, numbers don't always tell the WHOLE STORY.

So what do we use then you say? I never said we shouldn't use any official police and government sources, but what I am saying is that we have to sometimes read between the lines of things and take what is given to us and use creative independent thought and analysis to formulate our own conclusions. Here are some other stats for you that ARE FACTS (because I know you love them):

1. Triads/Yakuza (In that order, ASIANS by the way) are the largest most power ORGANIZED CRIME (the media's word for gangbangers) in the world 2nd to none (Not Italians, Irish, Russians, Albanians, Columbians, Mexicans, Blacks, NOONE.

2. Each one (Triad and Yakuza) currently has WELL over 100,000 KNOWN members and gross hundreds of BILLIONS annualy. Some of the groups have existed since the 1600s. They have secret traditions, rituals (even for initiation), handshakes and EVEN SIGN LANGUAGE (The same things that goes on in South Central, the place NY Traveler mentioned). The largest known gang in the world is the 14K Triad (Bigger than ANY gang in South Central). They participate in all forms of criminal activity but their most lucrative form of business is trafficking of illegal immigrants (mainly women). It is estimated that the earnings of trafficking of illegal immigrants is 3.2 Billion a year yet is punishable in most of Europe and the United States of only 5 years in prison.

3. Asian immigrants RARELY (very RARELY) go to the police as this has been stated numerous times by police/government officials and even Asian gangsters who have turned there life around and are now speaking about Asian culture. The reason being there history with corrupt law enforcement and politicians back in their native lands (which is the reason why Triads started).

Now based on these facts, I must disagree with Rusty and NY Traveler.
The murder rate is low among the Asian community!
If the crime statistics say the felony was committed by a Chinese national, then I will change my mind!
Two months ago, I saw two guys (non-Chinese) beat up an Indian guy in Chinatown! The so called crime statistic only says there was a felony assault...nothing else!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
maybe crimes in chinatown are under reported?
Then why would the Chinese people love to go over there! You see a lot of them!
...Must be safe for them to go over there!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
So you that's what you meant by the person who didn't belong there. You were referring to the story about the white guy who was hit by a car trying to get away in Harlem by a bunch of kids chasing him. Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to be accompanied by my Austrian toy tucked in my waistband this Thursday since I'm heading out to Chinatown. I feel at ease now.
Not only a white guy! There are more!
There was also a Columbia student who was robbed and chased! He got killed by a vehicle just like that "poor white soul."

Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Point being, numbers don't always tell the WHOLE STORY.
I agree with that.

Sometimes I find myself wondering how many people in Chinatown are indentured servants paying off their massive debts to smuggling rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City