Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times

Advertisements

Crime does not have a monoploly on any one race. Indeed in any and all races, ethnicities, religions, one can easily find criminals when one views everyone on a worlwide basis and does not limit stats on criminal activity to one city, region, or specific country only.

Historic, economic, social factors at work in specific regions or a specific country can indeed show an extraordinarily high level of criminal activity peculiar to one or more races whereas the same stats are low for another.

We cannot however conclude that any such low level or high level stats for such racial groupings hold universal validity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,010 times
Heres an interesting article on chinese organized crime in the city
Chinese Gangs , Illegal Immigration and Human... | Gather

The media definitely doesnt cover crime in these neighborhoods as much. When I lived in los angeles, there were always shootings and stabbings at the pool halls and kaereoke bars in koreatown, but none of it ever made the news. But they always made the korean newspapers, so the locals knew what was going on.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:56 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post

The media definitely doesnt cover crime in these neighborhoods as much. When I lived in los angeles, there were always shootings and stabbings at the pool halls and kaereoke bars in koreatown, but none of it ever made the news. But they always made the korean newspapers, so the locals knew what was going on.
Good information.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,600 times
You have to look at the issuer on a wider spectrum.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM

195 posts, read 741,490 times
Quote:

Can you prove your statement "....always shootings and stabbings at the pool halls and kaereoke bars in Koreatown...but none of it ever made the news....?"
How much you think the Asian paid the news media to cover it up?
Let's get back to the poor soul murdered up there in upper Manhattan simply he "trusted" the neighborhood! There was no public outcry from the white community..None at all! It was just like no big deal! The news media "barely" mentioned it for no more than 3 days.
Where is Jackson and Sharpton?
If you go to YouTube, there was no news coverage regarding to a murder case in Tenn...relating to a couple who were abducted by 3 men. The abducted man was beaten, sodomized, genital area was cut off, and killed then set on fire. The girl was held against her will for 3 days, raped repeatedly, sodomized repeatedly, murdered then set on fire.
Where is the justics?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:

The article was simply a research regarding to Chinese gang violence!
...Simply focusing on Chinese gang violence.
A research/comparison on gang violence among all racial groups must be made!
If I go to Yahoo/Google, I will find thousands of gang violence among other ethnic groups...So what is your conclusion regarding to the Chinese gang violence?

Last edited by N.Y.Traveler; 01-19-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
Can you prove your statement "....always shootings and stabbings at the pool halls and kaereoke bars in Koreatown...but none of it ever made the news....?"
How much you think the Asian paid the news media to cover it up?
Let's get back to the poor soul murdered up there in upper Manhattan simply he "trusted" the neighborhood! There was no public outcry from the white community..None at all! It was just like no big deal! The news media "barely" mentioned it for no more than 3 days.
Where is Jackson and Sharpton?
If you go to YouTube, there was no news coverage regarding to a murder case in Tenn...relating to a couple who were abducted by 3 men. The abducted man was beaten, sodomized, genital area was cut off, and killed then set on fire. The girl was held against her will for 3 days, raped repeatedly, sodomized repeatedly, murdered then set on fire.
Where is the justics?
Not sure how to prove that something wasnt shown on tv, but a korean friend of mine's mom used to always talk about these incidents she would read in the paper. I very rarely saw it get reported in the news. I witnessed a stabbing by a group of asian guys outside a club once and that didnt make the news. I highly doubt they pay any news media anything. Its more to do with the news choosing which topics to cover to generate the most viewers. I guess more people are interested in the black/mexican conflict or britney spears shaving her head than asian crime. Also, you can only cover so many crime incidents in a single news broadcast so its limited.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
The article was simply a research regarding to Chinese gang violence!
...Simply focusing on Chinese gang violence.
A research/comparison on gang violence among all racial groups must be made!
If I go to Yahoo/Google, I will find thousands of gang violence among other ethnic groups...So what is your conclusion regarding to the Chinese gang violence?
i just posted it as an informational tidbit.

Well asians only make up 4% of the population so you will find less info. But if in fact crime is lower within the asian community, its most likely due to cultural differences. But the biggest cause of crime imo is poverty. most asians are relatively well off here in the states. But go into some poor asian neighborhoods in california for example and you'll find street gangs involved in drive-bys, drugs, robbery, etc just like any other groups.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Not sure how to prove that something wasnt shown on tv, but a korean friend of mine's mom used to always talk about these incidents she would read in the paper. I very rarely saw it get reported in the news. I witnessed a stabbing by a group of asian guys outside a club once and that didnt make the news. I highly doubt they pay any news media anything. Its more to do with the news choosing which topics to cover to generate the most viewers. I guess more people are interested in the black/mexican conflict or britney spears shaving her head than asian crime. Also, you can only cover so many crime incidents in a single news broadcast so its limited.
Your evidence to support your argument is relatively weak!
If what you said is true, don't you think a violent crime committed by Asian will catch more attention since most people assuming the Asian people are good people...and they are safe to live with!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
most asians are relatively well off here in the states.
Because they work they asses off

Quote:
But go into some poor asian neighborhoods in california for example and you'll find street gangs involved in drive-bys, drugs, robbery, etc just like any other groups.
True. But even in the "suburbs", you'd be surprised

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-20-2009 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City