Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
Not sure how to prove that something wasnt shown on tv, but a korean friend of mine's mom used to always talk about these incidents she would read in the paper. I very rarely saw it get reported in the news. I witnessed a stabbing by a group of asian guys outside a club once and that didnt make the news. I highly doubt they pay any news media anything. Its more to do with the news choosing which topics to cover to generate the most viewers. I guess more people are interested in the black/mexican conflict or britney spears shaving her head than asian crime. Also, you can only cover so many crime incidents in a single news broadcast so its limited.
Basically, as I stated previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

648 posts, read 3,089,331 times
for our first holiday in manhattan in 2005 we flew into the newark airport. leaving there at about 12:30am, the shuttle went through chinatown to take us to our hotel in chelsea. my son was looking around with wide eyes at all the graffiti on the metal doors of the stores and giving me the look that said, "mom what have you gotten us into!" so, the van stopped and a young couple riding with us started to get off and i asked them where are we and what's it like living around here and they said, "oh it's fine, this is chinatown, it's ok." in the dark at 12:30am the place did look pretty scary, but it was nice to hear that the area was "ok."

Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,213 times
Everyone, look up the history of Chinatown in San Francisco

Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
Your evidence to support your argument is relatively weak!
If what you said is true, don't you think a violent crime committed by Asian will catch more attention since most people assuming the Asian people are good people...and they are safe to live with!
sorry, didnt get a chance to record every news broadcast

Not everyone thinks like that. Ive met non-asians that went to predominantly asian schools (alhambra), and theyd get bullied and beat up all the time. I dont think they'd have the same opinion. I dont have an answer as to why the news media doesnt focus as much on crime in the asian communities, you'd have to ask them.

this made the news and america's most wanted, but probably due to it being caught on tape

YouTube - Gang shootout in a pool hall

same with this one

YouTube - GOOD GUYS SHOOTING

Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,354 times
Asians are always less reported because, well, there is less asians! if NYC was 80 percent asian, it'd be a different story.

although i still feel safer in chinatown, then parts of bronx =)

Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,670 times
Isnt Chinatown only 1-2 blocks now ?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrandiInsurance View Post
Isnt Chinatown only 1-2 blocks now ?
as far as i heard, yes. But don't know the exact stats.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:22 PM

195 posts, read 741,330 times
Quote:

Not everyone thinks like that. Ive met non-asians that went to predominantly asian schools (alhambra), and theyd get bullied and beat up all the time. I dont think they'd have the same opinion. I dont have an answer as to why the news media doesnt focus as much on crime in the asian communities, you'd have to ask them.

this made the news and america's most wanted, but probably due to it being caught on tape

same with this one

HaHa!
Are you trying to make me laugh or what?
Talking about America Most Wanted!
I have to wait for a long long time to see an Asian face!
It sounds like no body wants to report them....But why?
Because there are not many Asian criminals...
There are some but most of them excel in schools/colleges and they stay away from trouble.
Now, talking about UTUbe, there are thousand times more shootings when it comes to non-Asians!
Everybody in my family feel safe to walk in Chinatown!
America Most Wanted will be seen again this Saturday...Get ready to count the Asian criminals. I have 10 fingers in both hands and let me see how many fingers I will have to use!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:

same with this one

Predominantly Asian schools..
Are you talking about Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science?
Well...The true speaks for itself!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Not sure how to prove that something wasnt shown on tv, but a korean friend of mine's mom used to always talk about these incidents she would read in the paper. I very rarely saw it get reported in the news. I witnessed a stabbing by a group of asian guys outside a club once and that didnt make the news. I highly doubt they pay any news media anything. Its more to do with the news choosing which topics to cover to generate the most viewers. I guess more people are interested in the black/mexican conflict or britney spears shaving her head than asian crime. Also, you can only cover so many crime incidents in a single news broadcast so its limited.
Your Korean friend of his/her mom said that!
Well, my Aunt said a lot of things about others!
Should I consider her words as "evidence?"
...and present it right here!
I got one from her! "Don't talk to anyone that does not look and sound like yourself because they are all criminals!"
I prove my case by what she said....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City