Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 13,847 times

Advertisements

I know there seem to be a lot of posts about moving to NYC, but I googled this forum and seem to be finding answers to general questions I had...so I hoped I might get lucky and get some answers to my specific questions...

If I'm going to be working for the UN in Manhattan, where would be a good location/suburb to live so I don't have too much of a commute? (I've lived in London with the tube and buses and in Sydney with the trains and ferries, so I know how to endure public transport)

Can anyone recommend any websites where I would could look for 1 bedroom apartments online (i.e. look at photos of the apartment interior instead of a description of it) for around $2,200 per month? (inclusive of utility bills and broker fees)

The apartments I rented in Sydney and London were generally furnished, what's the 'norm' in New York?

With a take home/net salary of about $7,000 per month, will I stand a chance at saving $3,000 per month after rent and living expenses? - FYI, I've backpacked around the world so I know how to make my money go further.

Once I have some feedback on my questions, I hoping to be in a better position to consider whether or not to move to New York - thanks in advance for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Well, if you're making $7000/month you can try looking in Murray Hill or Midtown east (both near the UN) for a STUDIO (not a 1 bedroom) for the rent you're wanting to pay. And, I somehow doubt you'll be able to save that much every month. In addition to taxes, which takes a hefty chunk of money, you'll also be paying for telephone, electricity, cable TV (there really is NO reception without it), etc. And I presume you like to eat on occasion....

If you walk to work you can save some money, but not all that much in the big scheme of things.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaA View Post
I know there seem to be a lot of posts about moving to NYC, but I googled this forum and seem to be finding answers to general questions I had...so I hoped I might get lucky and get some answers to my specific questions...

If I'm going to be working for the UN in Manhattan, where would be a good location/suburb to live so I don't have too much of a commute? (I've lived in London with the tube and buses and in Sydney with the trains and ferries, so I know how to endure public transport)

Can anyone recommend any websites where I would could look for 1 bedroom apartments online (i.e. look at photos of the apartment interior instead of a description of it) for around $2,200 per month? (inclusive of utility bills and broker fees)

The apartments I rented in Sydney and London were generally furnished, what's the 'norm' in New York?

With a take home/net salary of about $7,000 per month, will I stand a chance at saving $3,000 per month after rent and living expenses? - FYI, I've backpacked around the world so I know how to make my money go further.

Once I have some feedback on my questions, I hoping to be in a better position to consider whether or not to move to New York - thanks in advance for any advice
look for a place in Tudor City, which is a block or 2 from the UN complex

Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info, this I why I posted my queries to this forum, so I didn't move to New York being completely naive!!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Well, if you're making $7000/month you can try looking in Murray Hill or Midtown east (both near the UN) for a STUDIO (not a 1 bedroom) for the rent you're wanting to pay. And, I somehow doubt you'll be able to save that much every month. In addition to taxes, which takes a hefty chunk of money, you'll also be paying for telephone, electricity, cable TV (there really is NO reception without it), etc. And I presume you like to eat on occasion....

If you walk to work you can save some money, but not all that much in the big scheme of things.
I know I'm risking sounding completely clueless (I come from New Zealand where the price you see is the price you pay and where net pay equals pay after income tax has been deducted) but by taxes, do you mean income taxes or other New York taxes? If it's other New York taxes then I have absolutely no chance of saving $3,000 per month!!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
There is Federal income tax, which goes to Washington, then there's NY State tax, which goes to the state and then there's NYC income tax....Not to mention the sales tax on everything, excepting food and clothes less than $100 or so, that you buy.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM

15 posts, read 34,353 times
Don't mean to butt in - I can't give you much advice about flats in NY - but I have a friend who works for the UN and he doesn't pay any taxes...... Infact, I would take him shopping with me if I was buying something expensive and I wouldn't pay sales tax if he showed his card and we paid cash
I know that he lives in Midtown and his salary isn't anything special but he still manages to live quite well. Maybe you should souble check on the tax benefits you get?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
I don't think furnished flats are ubiquitous the way they are in London. If you want to live in walking distance, after rent, electric, and other utilities, you most likely won't be able to save $3K a month.

It also greatly depends on how much your net salary will be. I know my net is $1400 less than my gross salary.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
MochA - for some websites to look at
NY Bits - New York apartments, buildings and neighborhoods (http://www.nybits.com - broken link)
craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

They will give you a rundown of the NY market. One thing to be wary about is that you have to take into account the outlay at the beginning of your lease term. If you end up using a broker (nybits rental apartments are broker free) then you have to pay them a fee along with any security that may be required.

Coming from Sydney I'd New York city PT is much better than Sydney and about on par with London. The only thing is that the UN building is about 3 blocks from the subway line. I would suggest that you look at the East Village first somewhere near first or second avenue. I have a colleague who is renting there and says its pretty good and really in NYC having been here for a couple of months as long as you are careful like anywhere its pretty safe in the midtown area. Avoiding deserted streets at night - keeping clear of any fights etc.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
For easy access to the UN, stay on the East side of Manhattan. You can walk to work from Murray Hill/Kips Bay/Midtown East or take a bus from East Village or Upper East Side (M15 is not too bad). Or you can look at Queens and Brooklyn to save some money. You can look at the NY Times real estate section online to see photos of apartments that are offered for rent, just take into account that they often look worse in real life. In any case, you can't rent an apartment unless you are actually here.

One more thing to consider: I presume that you have no US social security number and thus no credit history in the US which can be a big problem when renting in NYC (for example, you might be required to pay 3 months' rent for security deposit instead of 1 month).

I would recommend you to sublet a furnished place or a "holiday apartment" for the first couple of months. This would give you some more time to see the city, talk to colleagues and think about where you would like to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: