Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM

559 posts, read 1,322,925 times

Advertisements

New York city alone cosist of New York, Kings, Queens, Bronx, and Richmond Counties. So you have to count all of those when coming up with the population of the city of NYC, which is over 8 million! (much larger than the city of Los Angeles) Not that confusing to me. Just look at a map, it will show the city limits.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 AM

29 posts, read 151,775 times
^^ You clearly missed the point of the post.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,458 times
NYC vs. LA:

We really need to quit these versus threads. All they do is start trouble.

This is America. We have something for everybody in this country. If you’re an urban lover, New York City is your kind of city. If you’re a nature lover, Los Angeles is your kind of city. It’s impossible to compare the two, seriously. They’re complete opposites.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,071 times
I was wrong about the price of housing in L.A.

I belive it is as expensive as NYC. However at least in LA you are paying for a private home most of the time. I would still have to give the housing to LA.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Ok. Yeah. I'm done arguing on this thread. Everyone else should too. NYC isn't better than LA and LA isn't better than NYC b/c both of them appeal to different people.

LA has continuous summers, NYC has seasons. Some people like both.

LA is for people who are obsessed with having flashy cars. NYC is for people who enjoy using public transportation.

LA is for people who want the urban lifestyle while in the suburbs. NYC is for people who want purely urban lifestyles.

There are many similarities b/w them. Both are internationally popular. Both are tourist cities. Both are very populated. Both are greatly involved in the entertainment industry. Both face the same problems with all kinds of crime. There are plenty of others also.

But I do have to agree with whoever said that SF beats us both. SF has the urban-ness of NYC, but also has the good weather and suburbs and hilly terrain of LA.

Why don't people from LA and NYC team up to make fun of fly-over states such as Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 AM

157 posts, read 675,292 times
San Francisco is the perfect mix of L.A. and NYC, without the crime and with its own individuality.

SF is what I think America was envisioned to be like; intelligent, diverse and progressive.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:59 PM

29 posts, read 237,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
I've been to LA.

This city is about as shallow, and as fake as they come.
maybe you should get a second opinion because there is a far bigger transient population in LA than New York I also see nyc trying to build stucco houses and villa style houses similar to the designs in California and Florida.LA just as much grit as it has glamour,it has a vast urban sprawl ask anybody whos seen it from downtown LA,to the rough neighborhoods of East LA,business districts,malls,entertainment centers,New York just doesn't have that.Besides they have one of the worst roads I've driven on.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But I do have to agree with whoever said that SF beats us both. SF has the urban-ness of NYC, but also has the good weather and suburbs and hilly terrain of LA.
San Francisco has terrible weather compared to LA. SF is cold almost the entire year.

Also it is difficult to get by without a car in SF. There is no subway and the bus system is good not great. You really need a car in SF if you like to weekend road trip to Tahoe, Monterey or Wine Country.

Also 90% of LA is flatter than Manhattan. If you want hills in the city try SF or San Diego.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Have you ever been anywhere between Playa del Rey and Long Beach. Playa del Rey is extremely hilly, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes. Then there are the Santa Monica Mountains, Hacienda Heights, the cliffs in Santa Monica looking over PCH, the mountainous waterfront mountains of Malibu, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, Laguna Hills, and many others. Is that enough for you? Trust me, NYC is MUCH flatter than LA.

LA has better weather than SF, but SF has better weather than NYC. SF has a continuous climate, while NYC has horrible summers and freezing winters.

I will agree on the Public Transportaion issue, but you need a car to go outside of NYC just like you need a car to go anywhere outside of the city you live in.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Have you ever been anywhere between Playa del Rey and Long Beach. Playa del Rey is extremely hilly, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes. Then there are the Santa Monica Mountains, Hacienda Heights, the cliffs in Santa Monica looking over PCH, the mountainous waterfront mountains of Malibu, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, Laguna Hills, and many others. Is that enough for you? Trust me, NYC is MUCH flatter than LA.

LA has better weather than SF, but SF has better weather than NYC. SF has a continuous climate, while NYC has horrible summers and freezing winters.

I will agree on the Public Transportaion issue, but you need a car to go outside of NYC just like you need a car to go anywhere outside of the city you live in.
Not really. We have city buses and trains going through our suburban town.

NYC is flatter than LA. But the North Bronx up near Mt. Vernon and Yonkers it gets surprisingly hilly. New York is a lot more mountainous than you'd expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City