Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,591 times

Advertisements

Yes, New Yorkers love to talk--about themselves.

Re. the beautiful people, let me clarify. New Yorkers dress better but Angelenos are prettier. It's the exercise, the sun, the relative lack of stress, and the less-extravagant drug habits.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
Yes, New Yorkers love to talk--about themselves.
And Angelenos don't? If an Angeleno talks, it's about themself.

Quote:
Re. the beautiful people, let me clarify. New Yorkers dress better but Angelenos are prettier. It's the exercise, the sun, the relative lack of stress, and the less-extravagant drug habits.
They excersise? The average new Yorker gets more excerise in a day than an Angeleno does in a week. We walk, they drive.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,903 times
Quote:
I've lived in NYC and LA. Both are good--NYC probably better in your 20s, LA better if you have kids--but let me propose a list of advantages to each:

NEW YORK

-The restaurants
-The parks
-The public transport
-The newspapers
-The cultural scene
-The cops (Really. If you don't like them try the LAPD)
-The looks on the faces of people in the flyover states when you tell them where you live

LOS ANGELES

-The weather
-The beaches
-The freeways (Angelenos love to moan about them. They should try driving in New York)
-The less-crazy rental market
-The blue-collar jobs
-The beautiful people (Yes, more beautiful than in NYC. Sorry)
-The looks on the faces of people in the flyover states when you tell them where you live
here's my look from this flyover state:

Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM

One more thing: if you look at the first page of the Los Angeles forum you will see 3 threads begun by people who are moving from New York to LA. Number of threads on this page begun by people moving in the opposite direction: zero.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:14 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
One more thing: if you look at the first page of the Los Angeles forum you will see 3 threads begun by people who are moving from New York to LA. Number of threads on this page begun by people moving in the opposite direction: zero.
So that makes LA better? Get your **** straight, bud.

On the 2nd page there's someone moving from http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...15-la-nyc.html.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I also know many Angelenos. Great people, but hard to talk to. I don't know, whenever out that way I get the feeling Angelenos are less outgoing than New Yorkers. New Yorkers love to talk.
And here's a third perspective from an "outsider" being here and in NEITHER of the two cities. I talk to folks from both areas due to taking orders and meeting customers in my line of work, so I've had my share of experience with L.A. and New Yorkers on a customer and even personal level.

L.A. folks - sometimes just don't seem to "get it". You'll tell a joke or talk about something and sometimes get blank stares as if they're thinking, "Oh ok.. what-e-verrrr". But then I think some New Yorkers are stressed out from the closed-inness up there, too. I've seen New Yorkers really fly off the handle (anger wise) over what I'd consider relatively minor stuff. In other words, a joke that might get the "uh... what?" reaction from a L.A.-er, gets a "What the F- do you mean by THAT?" reaction from the New Yorker.

Maybe the L.A. folks need to focus more, and the New Yorkers need some of the funny organic tea they drink in SoCal.

All together now... "Kum-ba-yaaaaaaaa"

Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 PM

23 posts, read 48,632 times
Quote:
.......and if you look at these statistics, you will see much more people move to New York than L.A.

NYC also has 2X + the population of L.A. Obviously it's much more popular.

So by your reasoning, NYC must be wayyy better right?

Big Apple, Southern cities tops in growth - USATODAY.com

Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
C'mon.. We all know that LA has an inferiority complex to NYC.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANVIN View Post
.......and if you look at these statistics, you will see much more people move to New York than L.A.

NYC also has 2X + the population of L.A. Obviously it's much more popular.

So by your reasoning, NYC must be wayyy better right?

Big Apple, Southern cities tops in growth - USATODAY.com
Not so fast. I didn't suggest LA was growing faster than New York. I suggested more New Yorkers were moving to LA than the other way round. Which they are. The figures are here:

Census 2000 COUNTY-TO-COUNTY MIGRATION FLOW FILES

SilkCity is right, though. LA does have an inferiority complex. People here were even a little disappointed that Al-Qaeda failed to hit it on 9/11.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
^^^ why would someone want their city to get hit by terrorist!? Ask anyone who lived in NYC or NJ and survived that awful day. That is the blackest day in NYC history....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City