U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,532 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've visited New York many times. However, I often would visit during winter. One thing LA has is perfect weather year round. You don't have to worry about rain and snow. Good weather brings smile to people's faces.
Speaking of a smile. Yes People in LA smile at each other and yes maybe it is a fake smile, but I'll take a fake smile over rudeness! When someone smiles at you, you tend to smile back. While some New Yorkers think that LA is good for a weekend getaway; I think that New York is great for a weekend getaway, party, and then go back to nice weather!

 
Old 08-14-2007, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Reputation: 10048
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasucks View Post
i read someone wrote they enjoyed the "greenery" in la. there is no green, its a desert.

the weather is nice if you like one season year round, and the mountains are beautiful if you can see them through the smog a few days out of the year.
Well said. Cheers!
 
Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 AM
 
29 posts, read 141,991 times
Reputation: 22
Nothing beats living in a beach front home in Southern California. Perfect weather, scenery,the air, the sun, beautiful people etc. Its always nice, calm, and peaceful. Just puts you in a good mood. You can't find that in NYC. Comparing NYC and LA is comparing apples to oranges. The best part of NYC is living right in the city, the night life, the excitement in the air, world class food, world class shopping, the true urban lifestyle etc. The best part of living in LA is living away from the city, in the posh suburbs. It's a totally different lifestyle. The one thing both city have in common is that to experience the best of both cities, takes an enormous amount of capital. It simply sucks to live in either city if your dirt poor or even middle class. Both cities are catered towards middle-upper class incomes. If you can't afford it, then there are plenty of other cities in America that offers a better lifestyle. I know both LA and NYC used to be somewhat middle class friendly cities, but that's simply not the case anymore.
 
Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
407 posts, read 1,047,878 times
Reputation: 110
Well, if you living in a posh suburb away from L.A. you not technically in L.A. then are you? NYC has pleanty of posh suburbs, the Hamptons comes to mind.
I would not consider the air as one of the good things about L.A. and give it a decade or two and those suburbs of L.A. will be over run by dangerous gangs and illigal immigrants, just like most other suburbs in L.A. county.
 
Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,990 posts, read 6,840,387 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic View Post
I've visited New York many times. However, I often would visit during winter. One thing LA has is perfect weather year round. You don't have to worry about rain and snow. Good weather brings smile to people's faces.
Speaking of a smile. Yes People in LA smile at each other and yes maybe it is a fake smile, but I'll take a fake smile over rudeness! When someone smiles at you, you tend to smile back. While some New Yorkers think that LA is good for a weekend getaway; I think that New York is great for a weekend getaway, party, and then go back to nice weather!
Sorry, but LA is a joke when you compare it to NYC. Last year, New York had 44 million people visit. LA only had 25 million in 2005 (it's latest stat available) Besides, having the same weather sucks. NYC doesn't even get as cold as many people think. Where would you rather be? In NYC in January or Detroit?

New Yorkers are only rude? Ah, just love that sterotype. . Were NYers rude to each other on 9-11? Were NYers rude to each other during the blackout in 03? Were NYers rude to each other during the transit strike in 05? Yeah, we may be "rude" (there are 8 million people in NYC what did you expect?) but this city comes together when the chips are down. Lets see LA do that.
 
Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
 
29 posts, read 141,991 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
NYC doesn't even get as cold as many people think. Where would you rather be? In NYC in January or Detroit?
What a terrible argument. This thread is comparing LA to NYC. But when you point out one of the worst aspects of living in NYC (the brutal winters), you compare it to Detroit? lol.. nice logic. I would rather be in LA in January any day over NYC because it's most likely 60 degrees here and I could wear shorts, a t shirt and still do outdoor activities. You can complain about how we have only 1 season, but I've lived in many parts of the world, and nothing beats LA weather. It simply makes life easier. NYC winters flat out becomes unbearable after Christmas and new year. Its nice to have the snow during the holiday season, but the months afterwards just sucks, if you can't admit that, your just in denial or you love to freeze.
 
Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 PM
 
29 posts, read 141,991 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Well, if you living in a posh suburb away from L.A. you not technically in L.A. then are you? NYC has pleanty of posh suburbs, the Hamptons comes to mind.
I would not consider the air as one of the good things about L.A. and give it a decade or two and those suburbs of L.A. will be over run by dangerous gangs and illigal immigrants, just like most other suburbs in L.A. county.
Right, you really think Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo is going to be overrun by gangs anytime soon? Give me a break. Seems like your vision of LA is warped by the media. I've been to Chicago, and the gang problem there is far worse than LA. Your ghettos are unlivable period. The "ghettos" in compton actually have separate housing units and a front lawn and a backyard. They're "overhyped" by stupid rappers and hollywood movies. Its not even that rough. The ghettos in Chicago on the other hand are completely run down. That is where your headed right ?

The Posh Suburbs is LA, no one actually lives in downtown, the suburbs is essentially all LA is. The air in the coastal communities is really clear, I would know I'm breathing it right now. How can you complain about the pacific breeze. You sound like an incredibly bitter man. Not everyone is miserable in LA , haha, but you keep telling yourself that and pretend that living in a 1 bedroom apartment the size of a shoebox in NYC is a better lifestyle. Your telling me my community will be overrun by gangs ? Get that BS out of here, you think you know my community better than I do? Crimes have decreased in LA in the last 10 years. Its hardly a place overrun by illegals and gangs like the media portrays it. Illegals are rampant in SoCal, but once they realize how unreasonably expensive it is to live here, they're beginning to move to other cities in America. Illegal immigration is a problem of America not just Los Angeles. But it's nice to know that people like yourself want to stereotype one of America's largest problem to one city. The ghettos in LA will always be there. The only difference is, the ghettos that the blacks once inhabited have become predominantly hispanic.
 
Old 08-16-2007, 12:42 AM
 
5,620 posts, read 13,304,201 times
Reputation: 2880
You NYers can't even get LA's population right. If you are comparing Manhattan to Los Angeles County, then we have more. Manhattan has 1.5 million while Los Angeles has 10.2 million. And LA actually is denser than NYC since we have no more room to grow because of our beautiful mountains.

For the people that said we have no trees, have you ever been on the 405/10 interchange? No...I didn't think so.

And for the one that said every part of LA is going to be overrun by gangs, i doubt that a poor gang member could afford a 1 million dollar home. Especially the 5 million dollar homes.

And for the people that said our colleges aren't as good, here you go.
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: National Universities: Top Schools

According to this one, we have the number one and number three public universities in the country.

Best Public Universities - The Best Public Universities in the United States (http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingaschool/tp/bestpublic.htm - broken link)
 
Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,754,297 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You NYers can't even get LA's population right. If you are comparing Manhattan to Los Angeles County, then we have more. Manhattan has 1.5 million while Los Angeles has 10.2 million. And LA actually is denser than NYC since we have no more room to grow because of our beautiful mountains.

For the people that said we have no trees, have you ever been on the 405/10 interchange? No...I didn't think so.

And for the one that said every part of LA is going to be overrun by gangs, i doubt that a poor gang member could afford a 1 million dollar home. Especially the 5 million dollar homes.

And for the people that said our colleges aren't as good, here you go.
USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2007: National Universities: Top Schools

According to this one, we have the number one and number three public universities in the country.

Best Public Universities - The Best Public Universities in the United States (http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingaschool/tp/bestpublic.htm - broken link)
Dude, uh... last time I checked Cal Berkely was in San Francisco area, This thread is NYC vs LA. I guess you need the whole state of California to argue with the superior in every way to LA city of New York!!!
 
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,754,297 times
Reputation: 877
And by the way, as long as we are comparing education in these metro areas, Princeton, Columbia, NYU, Fordham, SUNY Stony Brook, Rutgers, Julliard are in NYC metro. The only good ones in LA area are Cal Tech and UCLA and......case closed on that one! The posh suburbs of Long Island and Westchester are better than in LA and the wonderful Atlantic ocean breezes are just as good as those on the Pacific. The air quality is far superior in NYC to anything in LA as is the culture, nightlife parks etc. Warm climate in the winter in LA? I guess you guys really enjoy that while stuck half the day in traffic and the other half working to pay for your WAY overpriced ghetto housing! We'll see you guys in NYC for new years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top