Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 196,501 times

Advertisements

It is such a shame that NYPDs cops are so underpaid.

As far as the universities in LA and NY, I would have to say that LA takes the cake for that one; however, just to clarify, I am in no way saying that NYC universities are to be disregarded (NYU, Cornell, and Columbia are among the best).

I grew up in and around LA, and the public schools here are tragic. It is getting worse. And if remember correctly, Giuliani said that NYC's public schools should be "blown up". I would have to think neither cities are aptly fit for raising a family. There are areas here and there in both cities that are just fine, but overall, the whole country needs to step up with our children's education.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I'm still not understanding how LA wins for the univeristies. Yeah LA has UCLA, Loyola, and USC, but I fail to see how those are better than the schools in NY and the rest of the Northeast.

UCLA is certainly an excellent school, but the last time I visited there literally half the student body was Chinese/Korean/Japanese. I doubt the average person in this area would want to deal the unnecessary over-competitiveness resulting from that.

I think Colombia is definitely better than all of those schools since it is Ivy League and has an all around better reputation. NYU probably comes close to trumping all of those schools as well.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:36 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I'm Pro NY obviously.

But I think Cali does win when it comes to colleges and universities. Mainly because their UC system is just so much better than SUNY/CUNY. In-state students do have more options in terms of getting a high-quality affordable education. UCLA and CAL-Berklee are excellent schools. To be fair none of the SUNY/CUNY schools are quite on that level, although they are mostly very good schools. I've always had a soft spot for UCLA. I would have loved to have gone there. The other UC schools are also very good. Some of the Cal State (also public) schools are very good as well, like Fullerton, and Long Beach.

People often think USC is part of the UC's, but the UC's are public and USC is private. USC is another great school. Can't forget Stanford either, private, but an excellent school.

Mead it is amazing how you manage to make almost every one of your posts about race or ethnicity. lol...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-29-2007 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
NYC beats LA when it come to college and universities. Look at it this way: NYU is the largest non for profit university in the nation with over 40,000 students. Also, it has international facilities in cities such as Paris, London, Shanhai, etc. Columbia is an Ivy League University. Enough said about that. Also, St. John's, Pace University, The City University of New York system, are great colleges in their own right. All LA schools care about is college sports.

Futurecop, No cop becomes a officer to get rich. Cops do it for the dedication and service to the community. However, cops in NYC are underpaid. It is a shame and PBA President Patrick Lynch and Mayor Bloomberg, should be ashamed. The NYPD is the GREATEST police force in the world. Period. No department on the face of the planet comes close to the men and women keeping the 5 Boroughs safe. NYC is enjoying it's lowest crime rate in decades. Crime in fact is going DOWN not UP, like some people are saying. Seeing these men and women go through the stress of keeping the greatest city in the world safe, and getting paid 59,000 max is a joke. They put their lifes on the line so New York won't be the murder capitol of the world it was back in 1990 (over 2,100 murders). Firefighters and cops should be paid 100,000 a year. Every single one one of them, esapecially after 9-11, but this reality, it will never happen, but cops should get paid WAY more money.

Last edited by SilkCity0416; 05-03-2007 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-06-2007, 03:34 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,209 times
CA beats NY when it comes to their colleges and universities. Remember, CA sets the trends when it comes to education in this country. That cannot be said of NY universities, not even CU or NYU.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:07 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Set what "trend"? More leaders, politicians, CEO's, and major figures in the world, graduated from NYC Universities such as Columbia and NYU. When LA was founded, NY was all ready a thriving city. When LA was incorporated in 1850, NYC (Manhattan at the time) was all ready the largest city in America. Face it. LA is second rate to New York.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
I didnt go thru this entire post completely, so forgive me if this type message was already conveyed. Being brought up in so cal, and living here in NY for the past 10 years...my thoughts on the who college thing are this.

When It come to PUBLIC universities..I would say Cali takes the cake...The UC system offers a great education (top tier) and a awesome rate..when I went to Cal State fullerton in the 1990's, my cost to go there...yes this is correct..

Was 535 dollars for 12 credits..plus the 250 dollars in books...So it was under 800 dollars PER SEMESTER..1600 PER YEAR....because CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS DONT PAY TUITION. So you could have gone to UCLA for twice that amount...which would have been 3 grand a year. This was in the 90's though.

My brother did his undergrad at UC san diego in biochemistry with a minor in something or another...and then he went on to dental school AT COLUMBIA..he got a handwritten letter from the dean, letting him know that he was the youngest to be admitted that year and it would be an honor for columbia to have him leave the beaches of california to go to columbia ( I think he still kept that letter).

Which brings me to my next point.....I think for PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES..NY takes the cake...The ivy schools in new york and the northeast in general are cream of the crop....Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Harvard..etc.

Cali has a token stanford (am I missing another one)..

And those private universites that are not considered cream of the crop...(USC, UC san diego, Fordham, NYU)...thats more of a status thing to me personally....its pretty much saying....I am too good for a public university, but couldnt get into top tier...so I am picking a school for bragging rights. MY hubby went to fordham and it has advanced his career..but you cannot compare Fordham with Columbia or UCLA.

Do california residents have to pay tuition now? I tell my hubby all the time..lets move back, because our kids can get a ucla education without all the cost!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM

29 posts, read 151,779 times
Sorry, i know this thread is somewhat old already but how did you guys talk about LA Universities and not mention the top school CalTech. If your comparing school in So Cal to schools in NYC, i still think So Cal wins hands down. The only nationally well known schools in NYC are Columbia and NYU. Cornell isn't in NYC correct ? the SUNY and CUNY arent comparable to any of the UC's. The top So Cal schools would be Tech, UCLA, USC,UCSD,UCI, UCSB,and Pepperdine. And if your comparing California Universities to New York's, Cali would still win hands down as well. Cali's top three would be Stanford, Caltech, UCBerkeley while NY would be Columbia, Cornell, and NYU. And NYU is totally overrated imo. It doesnt even have an engineering dept. Its super strong in a few depts but its not comparable to Berkeley,LA, or USC, from a total well rounded perspective. Schools like UCLA,USC,and UCSD doesnt even crack the top 3. If your comparing the entire Northeast to Cali, then yea, theres no contest.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 AM

335 posts, read 1,435,527 times
most of cornell is in ithaca, but its medical school and many of the biological science graduate programs are on the upper-east side of nyc (around 68th street).

in my mind, the overall reputation of ucla and berkeley is better regarded than nyu, but it's best to look at things field-by-field.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:56 PM

67 posts, read 227,698 times
Only a person from L.A. would even ask a dumb question like that. If you are looking to leave, just pack your bags and move on. A person from Dallas is not going to ask that. I don’t think someone from Hickville, Alabama would ask something as silly like that. I guess that is why some refer to California as not “out west”, but “out left”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City