Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,330,485 times

Advertisements

And New York doesn't have some of the best colleges in the world?

Do Colombia, NYU, and Fordham not count?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,470,843 times
LA for me. I'd rather live in a city that can decrease crime rates not one that will drop to #1 for a decade and go back to its old ways of being a crime-infested city. But I'll love New York 'til I die. It's my hometown. I've lived in New York my whole life and I think it's time to explore a new area.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,330,485 times
Why do you say this? I think the crime situation is fairly under control at the moment. Could it really go back up to its peak in the 80s/early 90s since so many areas of the city have become yuppified?

I honestly don't see people who shell out $2,000+ a month in rent turning to a life of street-crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
LA for me. I'd rather live in a city that can decrease crime rates not one that will drop to #1 for a decade and go back to its old ways of being a crime-infested city. But I'll love New York 'til I die. It's my hometown. I've lived in New York my whole life and I think it's time to explore a new area.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,160,139 times
Some of the outer boroughs (maybe, I don't see this happening either), or even some areas upstate might get worse (more possible), maybe 10-15 years down the line.

But Manhattan returning to how it was in the 70's/early 80's. No way! I really don't see that happening at all.

Uptown Manhattan (Harlem/Washington Heights) is not going to get worse, it is going to continue to improve and become more and more expensive. The biggest problems in those areas was the crack epidemic, both those neighborhoods were at their all time worst when crack was big. I really don't see that happening again at least any time soon.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Why do you say this? I think the crime situation is fairly under control at the moment. Could it really go back up to its peak in the 80s/early 90s since so many areas of the city have become yuppified?

I honestly don't see people who shell out $2,000+ a month in rent turning to a life of street-crime.
NYPD Police Officers don't get paid enough so NYPD's losing so many cops there's no way they'll be able to keep the city safe for long. Out of 100 new FDNY Firefighters, 90 of them are former NYPD Officers. Others are leaving to higher paying depts. in the metro area. If we keep losing cops the way we are now, NYC will be a war-zone. But don't expect Manhattan to go down with the rest of the city. Manhattan should be fine.

Not every place in New York is $2,000 rent. If you go into the ghetto you'll find places for $200 a month and below.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:19 PM

The cops will get a pay increase. Something is in the works already. NYPD will probably still get paid less than other big cities and it will probably still be less than NYFD.

They did make a big mistake on the last contract with the rookie salary, which was a joke.

Plus they have never let up on the recruiting. While a lot of cops have been leaving they've had enough coming in so they haven't really lost cops technically.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 PM

359 posts, read 2,588,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathebestindaworld View Post
Now I have been living in L.a. for years and have also live in NYC but, a lot of these things you guys are saying is true but a lot of this is stereotypes.......... I feel you don't know anything about L.a. unless you stayed there longer than 2 years........ Hollywood is not the only place in L.A. and nowhere near cheap unless you're just making a lot of money.................and actually these are somethings you really can compare because L.A. has fashion, cultural,etc.........very diverse not just mexican americans but blacks, chinese, japense, europeans, korean, asians basically highly white and etc........... reason proved is because there are a lot of college students that are in L.a. and highly more educated than new york with some of the top colleges of the world..... and if you didn't like L.A. for the months that you stayed there don't come back because l.a. isn't just hollywood, we have beverly hills, venice beach, santa monica piere, ladera heights, downtown is currently in construction to a $2 billion dollar megaproject for new venues, suburb condos, hotels, l.a. sports live and has some of the best architechs in the world..........L.A. is far more entertaining ("The Entertainment Capital Of The World") than new york, london, chicago, milan, etc put together................so i will just wait for a response a i will give you the positive of both.

THEY'RE BOTH GREAT CITIES AND YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO GO IN L.A. TO HAVE A GREAT TIME AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY DON'T EVEN TRY TO FIND SOMETHING TO DO.

OH YEAH CHECK OUT OUR THEMES PARKS WHICH IS AMAZING AND VERY FUN
WE HAVE THE MOST AMUSEMENT PARKS IN THE WORLD :
SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN
DISNEYLAND
KNOTTS BERRY FARM
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD
SEAWORLD
CASTLE PARK
DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE'S

A LOT MORE INCLUDING A LOT OF WATER PARKS FOR THE SUMMER:

AND SOME OF THE BEST WATER PARKS IN AMERICA.
And thats why NYC is better. You dont need to know where your going. You can step out of your building and find something to do. ****, Just going for a slice of pizza on the corner is fun in NYC.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The cops will get a pay increase. Something is in the works already. NYPD will probably still get paid less than other big cities and it will probably still be less than NYFD.

They did make a big mistake on the last contract with the rookie salary, which was a joke.

Plus they have never let up on the recruiting. While a lot of cops have been leaving they've had enough coming in so they haven't really lost cops technically.
The amount of NYPD Police Officers has decreased by about 3,000 the last couple years. I hope they do raise the salary, but I need a dept. I know I can rely on to pay me well. NYC is an expensive city and it's ridculous that those Police Officers are out there risking their lives everyday and have to rely on food stamps to survive.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The amount of NYPD Police Officers has decreased by about 3,000 the last couple years. I hope they do raise the salary, but I need a dept. I know I can rely on to pay me well. NYC is an expensive city and it's ridculous that those Police Officers are out there risking their lives everyday and have to rely on food stamps to survive.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you on NYPD not being paid enough FutureCop. I did some research on LAPD and they definitely pay way more, starting out at least. Do you know if the pay is similar for cops that have been on the force a good amount of years already (5 years or so).

LA is well known for having a very high cost of living.

I dunno though, as a cop, LA would seem scarier to me. Mainly due to how deeply ingrained the gangs are over there.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-28-2007 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree with you on NYPD not being paid enough FutureCop. I did some research on LAPD and they definitely pay way more, starting out at least. Do you know if the pay is similar for cops that have been on the force a good amount of years already (5 years or so).

LA is well known for having a very high cost of living.

I dunno though, as a cop, LA would seem scarier to me. Mainly due to how deeply ingrained the gangs are over there.
After 5 years of service for NYPD, you can get up to about $60,000 which isn't bad but in New York it's not enough. But in other police depts. like State Police and LAPD you can make over $100,000 a year after 5 years of service excluding overtime pay which sometimes can add $50,000 or so to your salary.

As an LAPD rookie, I'll be making more my first 6 months than NYPD Police Officers who have worked 5 years.

LAPD starting salary-about $60,000

NYPD starting salary-$25,100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City