Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
the fever is where everyone performed at before they got famous! the beastie boys, new edition, run dmc and ll cool j all owe thier carreers partial to the FEVER! russel simmons used to work as a promoter for the fever before getting famous. heres the fever website:

www.feverrecords.com
Wow Fever is Yonkers now.. How did that happened?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,266 times
What about
Save The Robots
Mars
The World
Madame BullBoxer31

Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,199 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned knishes at the boardwalk. I now live in Chicago and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a knish here. In NYC they've become pretty commonplace, but here in Chicago, you've got to find a Jewish community to get one. And forget about deli's out here. There are absolutely none that compare with NYC's delicatessens.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:46 AM

306 posts, read 636,384 times
Best club in Queens was a place called Pep McGuire's on Queens Blvd.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born_in_NYC View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned knishes at the boardwalk. I now live in Chicago and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a knish here. In NYC they've become pretty commonplace, but here in Chicago, you've got to find a Jewish community to get one. And forget about deli's out here. There are absolutely none that compare with NYC's delicatessens.
Sadly, Mrs. Stahl's (on the corner of Coney Island and Brighton Beach Avenues, in the shadow of the el) is no more. It just goes to show that nothing lasts forever...not even knishes!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,570 times
I remember when Madonna was trying so hard to get famous being she was dating JellyBean Benitez. She would hang out at First Class in the Bronx, 138th Street off the Grand Concourse. Then she hit with Holiday and was performing at the Fun House. I hung out alot at the Cat Club on 13th Street. My friend Eddie Vega was like the head liner dancer there and I always got in. He was like my brother. I miss him what a talent. Had he still been living I know he would have had some connection to Dancing with the Stars. I got into that show because of my memories hanging out at the Cat Club with the dancers. Very talented bunch. Loved the 80's in NYC.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Sadly, Mrs. Stahl's (on the corner of Coney Island and Brighton Beach Avenues, in the shadow of the el) is no more. It just goes to show that nothing lasts forever...not even knishes!
Mrs. Stahl's was the best! What was the name of the knish place in King's Plaza?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
IMHO the 80's and 90's were some of the best years to live in NYC. I really, really miss those times, it's not the same for me anymore living here. Anyone still go to the Ukrainian festival on 7th street in the E. Vill? I missed it this year, it gets smaller and smaller each year. I could wax poetic about the past, there's not much left to hold on to.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post

Was anyone at the WORLD, a club in Alphabet City on Ave C (I believe) the night there was a huge hip hop awards event and there was a crazy shoot-out? This was in around 1990 or so and I was shocked when I walked in and saw the paint peeling everywhere from the walls, it was a musty and disgusting place. However, I had no idea of the crazy show we were in for. My friend from college (the beautiful one who got us back stage at the other show) had met the guy from Kid & Play, the light-skinned one Chris Reed I think, and he had invited her to come to this show. Well every famous rap artist from the late 1970's through that date was there performing. I can't even remember all the artists but I must've seen more than 20 of the biggest hip hoppers of the time perform. It seemed like it was mainly for the industry though so I was lucky we got to go.

All of a sudden UTFO, the guy who did "Roxanne Roxanne", came up and everyone in the club started booing cuz he was a "has been" as compared to the other BIGGER stars that were there and who came later than the very underground Roxanne Roxanne type of rap. Anyway, he started scratching it up nice and people starting getting into it and stopped booing, then he started scratching records with his NOSE and then he PULLED DOWN HIS PANTS AND SCRATCHED WITH HIS ASS. The house was ON FIRE from this. They were loving it! Soon after someone started shooting and I must say, Kid & PLay and their body guards were very nice about getting us out of there safely. I mean they barely knew us young girls from a whole in a the wall and they looked out. We all hit the floor as instructed and then they told us to RUN and the whole club is running down the stairs at top speed. What a crazy night that was!
That's an awesome story, thank you for sharing it. I was too young to go to the show, but I heard all about it since it was the talk of the neighborhood (I grew up in the East Village)! I still love Kid N Play, they need to do a reunion tour.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,449 times
robots on ave a i think,used to walk in at 16 years old no problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City