U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,378 times

Advertisements

In the early 70's friends and I pooled funds to rent bungalows each year in Rockaway when the park was there. I think it was on Beach 96th St. This picture best explains what bungalow life was like for a bunch of 19 year olds. Eighteen was the alcohol age limit at the time.

We would screw around with the carnies at the park. Do you remember the game where you shoot a water gun at a small target that would blow up a balloon until it popped(if I remember correctly)? The trick was a bunch of us would appear at the game at the same time, enough guys to be sure we had all the guns. We paid our money and the clueless carny activates the game. Then we all turned and hose the guy. We did this more than once. He never called the cops.

Joey Palasits - Rockaway bungalow antics by distar97, on Flickr

Last edited by distar97; 01-25-2014 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM

343 posts, read 865,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distar97 View Post
In the early 70's friends and I pooled funds to rent bungalows each year in Rockaway when the park was there. I think it was on Beach 96th St. This picture best explains what bungalow life was like for a bunch of 19 year olds. Eighteen was the alcohol age limit at the time.

We would screw around with the carnies at the park. Do you remember the game where you shoot a water gun at a small target that would blow up a balloon until it popped(if I remember correctly)? The trick was a bunch of us would appear at the game at the same time, enough guys to be sure we had all the guns. We paid our money and the clueless carny activates the game. Then we all turned and hose the guy. We did this more than once. He never called the cops.

Joey Palasits - Rockaway bungalow antics by distar97, on Flickr
That sounds like a scene straight out of a movie lol good times im sure

Old 01-25-2014, 05:57 PM

11,828 posts, read 7,699,774 times
NYC area was definitely a lot of fun those years, none of those places or similar exist anymore which is why I don't get why people think NYC is a lot of fun. It's become more boring and stale.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
It's funny that people would consider the snack bar on Beach 116 St such a treat since it was always really kinda nasty. You probably wouldn't have taken your kids there now. I do miss Playland, I would have liked for my kids to experience that at least once. I know they enjoyed Astroland.

Speaking of amusement parks, anyone remember the Palisades Amusement Park? I went there once when I was young & then it was gone.

YES!!! I remember Palisades Amusement Park like it was yesterday. I had a birthday yesterday (10-14) I turned 51! When mom & dad took my little brother & I to Palisades I was just 4 - I think. It was in 1967...or close to it. Can't forget it because THAT was the park they held the LITTLE MISS AMERICA PAGEANT at...and I wanted to be in the pageant so bad, but the rest of the park was fun, too.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM

428 posts, read 451,130 times
This *thread* is a blast from the past.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCenteno View Post
The Castle (Bronx)
The Fever (Bronx)
321 (Bronx)
Skate Key, Yes (Bronx)
Savoy Manner (Bronx)
Ark (Bronx)
Riddlers (Bronx - Parkchester)
Harold's (Bronx on East Treemont across from the old motor vehicle's)

I remember goin' to Step Ins for a very late nitecap after Bentley's.
What was the name of the club before it became the Castle? Does anyone remember??

Old 02-11-2016, 10:10 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,157,576 times
I remember The Castle. Kid Capri was the DJ and MITCH used to be the manager. I managed two groups that performed there. One of them was an artist named POETRY from Bed Stuy.

Some group I brought from Coney Island tried to enter with guns because they were " Out of their hood "....ah the good times.

On another note I really enjoyed meeting cool people on the streets. There would be many times i'd be hanging out eating or drinking on someone's stoop and somebody would walk by and start a conversation. Taking a cab was another place to have a good chat because the drivers were americans and funny characters. Now these guys like to chat on their cell phones and don't interact with their passengers....then expect a tip !

Old 08-20-2017, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 1,059 times
I have a thing for remembering those great years "clubbing" and you could say I was a club hopper.

A few in one night sometimes.

In the center of the scene playing in a popular band at CBGB/Max's Mudd Club Hurrah's.

Jammed with members of the band Television cause the band I was with were friends and proteges of TV.

Also Tier3, The 80's, Privates, Coventry (where it all started) Rock Lounge, Great Gildersleeves, Bonds, ....all places to see new bands.

Then I also loved the dance scene. Red Parrot, Visage, Danceteria was my home practically.

I wrote this article about the club Starbucks which was quite unique
New York Stories | Manhattan, New York, NY | News

There is one new wave/no wave very arty dance club early 80's maybe late 70's in soho or around there. Paintings all around very sparse. Arty crowd. That is one I can't remember the name.

Also the club on like west 70th street with all the lasers. Very small. Like something you see in a mall.
That was in the 80's. Can't remember that one

Any Questions?

Any info on the places I cannot remember?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 PM

7,555 posts, read 7,981,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonoir View Post
I have a thing for remembering those great years "clubbing" and you could say I was a club hopper.

A few in one night sometimes.

In the center of the scene playing in a popular band at CBGB/Max's Mudd Club Hurrah's.

Jammed with members of the band Television cause the band I was with were friends and proteges of TV.

Also Tier3, The 80's, Privates, Coventry (where it all started) Rock Lounge, Great Gildersleeves, Bonds, ....all places to see new bands.

Then I also loved the dance scene. Red Parrot, Visage, Danceteria was my home practically.

I wrote this article about the club Starbucks which was quite unique
New York Stories | Manhattan, New York, NY | News

There is one new wave/no wave very arty dance club early 80's maybe late 70's in soho or around there. Paintings all around very sparse. Arty crowd. That is one I can't remember the name.

Also the club on like west 70th street with all the lasers. Very small. Like something you see in a mall.
That was in the 80's. Can't remember that one

Any Questions?

Any info on the places I cannot remember?
What bands did you see at Privates? Did you go often?
Did you ever see the New York Dolls?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:42 AM

4 posts, read 1,059 times
I saw Echo and The Bunnymen and Teardrop Explodes at Privates. Did not go there that often.

I knew Joan Jett and went there with her and her manager.

Never saw the Dolls but I saw the Heartbreakers and solo Johnny Thunders many times.

Also Murry the K special with first show in US for Cream and The Who

Saw first Led Zep concert at the pavilion.
Big Star at Max's only show
Jeff Beck Group at the Fillmore
First show at Max's for the B 52's
Richard Loyd opening the Mudd Club
Walked out on Blondie at Max's when they were just starting.
Fillmore the night they recorded the Allman Bros. and The Mothers Of Invention Zappa
Captain Beefheart at the Anderson Theatre
Beach Boys at Carnegie Hall...and Led Zep another time there.
Randalls Island show...Hendrix, Mountain...Grand Funk? No Miles Davis or Clapton though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or