U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 PM

492 posts, read 617,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I'm even older.

Anyone recall Rockaways Playland, Freedomland, or Steeplechase Park?
Rockaways Playland Oh yeah, beach 116st on a Friday night late 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 PM

127 posts, read 473,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
I remember Roll-a-Palace and United Skates of America in Brooklyn!

For music, I remember Lamour (in Brooklyn), Limelight in Manhattan, Wetlands and a few other places whose names escape me because it's 12:30 am.

RIP CBGB!!! I fell asleep there Halloween night 1997!!!! Oh the memories!
OMG! You mean the rink on Sheepshead Bay Road? Remember all the roller skaing-themed movies out at the time, like "Roller Boogie" with Linda Blair, and "Thank God it's Friday"? Remember the skates we wore, lol?

I also remember Lamour, and also 2001 (which was the disco featured in "Saturday Night Fever."

Later in the 80s, I went to a club called "Heat" in the city, and also saw a bunch of things at The Bottom Line. Can't believe so much time has passed. Those were good times.

And yes -- I remember Freedomland! It was in the Bronx, where Co-op City was later built, I think. And of course I remember Rockaway Playland. My grandparents rented a bungalow in Rockaway back in the early to mid-60s, and I spent quite a bit of time there. And Coney Island...I lived a few miles away, and would often bike there. It wasn't the safest place, but it was home.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,196,427 times
I wish I was old enough then to enjoy it. I was only 5 years old in 1989. If I was granted 3 wishes, one of them would be to be a teenager in the 80s in NYC. Mostly just because I love the pop culture and music from then.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:33 PM

127 posts, read 473,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I wish I was old enough then to enjoy it. I was only 5 years old in 1989. If I was granted 3 wishes, one of them would be to be a teenager in the 80s in NYC. Mostly just because I love the pop culture and music from then.

Our wishes are the same, only separated by a couple of decades!

I have to admit that growing up in the 60s and 70s was the absolute best. I turned 9-years-old during "The Summer of Love." My wish would be to have been old enough to have gone to Woodstock (or at least to have had hippie parents cool enough to have taken me)!

I do have tons of memories of the 80s. Mostly of big hair, and huge plastic earrings. The videos of those days never fail to crack me up.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 24,595 times
Wow, I remember the roller rink on Roosevelt Avenue! I used to go there during the day on weekends. I always sat out during the backwards skate because I didn't know how LOL

Rockaway Playland...I actually went on that roller coaster before I had ever seen the Cyclone in Coney Island! Growing up in Queens during the 70s was awesome. There was a small disco at one point on 47th Street off of 47th Avenue, I believe it was called "Fields Disco". I was too young to go to clubs then, but once and a while they opened it up on a Saturday afternoon for 13 and under, it was the coolest thing LOL

90s I remember Emerald City, Limelight, L'Amour East and Castle Heights in Jackson Heights. Wow, when I went to Emerald City it was Hot 97 legs night LOL. How many times has that station moved anyway?! I also liked this joint out in Long Island, I think it was called the Dublin Pub. Anyone remember that one? Great cover bands!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:58 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,728,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I'm even older.

Anyone recall Rockaways Playland, Freedomland, or Steeplechase Park?
Loved Playland! I also loved the snack bar at Beach 116...it was always a special treat when my mom brought us there.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 22,904 times
Well Wal Cliff was in Elmont, I skated there in the 60's it was a huge rink, well kept. I skated NY State Championships there with other members of our Park Circle Figure And Dance Club. My partner was Jackie Clark.
I remember Rockaways Playland, remember reaching for the ring on the merry go round? Freedomland in the Bronx and of course Steeplechase Park, my dad took me on the Parashoot Jump when I was young. I remember the Bobsled Ride, The Thunderbolt and the horse ride at Steeplechase. You were given a round ticket to be punched on a cord to wear around your neck. They had a wonderful swimming pool there as well. Nathan's is still there but Coney Island is not the same from what I see online. Playland is gone, replalce, by what, houses probably. All the fun places, gone, all the roller rinks gone. They wonder why kids get into trouble. It costs over ten dollars to go to a movie, what parent of several kids can even afford that on a Saturday afternoon. Remember the movies when they were a quarter and they had cartoons too, what a shame. They call it the future, I think it is nothing but about making lots of money and to heck with the little guy. I now live in the south, in a small community, we still have roller rinks, some inexpensive movies and fairs, etc. But unless we do something about it these too will disappear in the word of "progress".

Old 10-23-2007, 05:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,137,124 times
It's funny that people would consider the snack bar on Beach 116 St such a treat since it was always really kinda nasty. You probably wouldn't have taken your kids there now. I do miss Playland, I would have liked for my kids to experience that at least once. I know they enjoyed Astroland.

Speaking of amusement parks, anyone remember the Palisades Amusement Park? I went there once when I was young & then it was gone.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 23,830 times
Default Help!!!

I am going nuts. I am an 80's child also and when I was 16 I used my "ID" for the first time. We went to a club in the city that I cant remember the name of. BUT I do remember that the commercial advertised "2 floors of disco and 2 floors of rock and roll" Can anyone help me with the name????

Old 12-01-2007, 06:22 PM

54 posts, read 333,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianefiero View Post
I am going nuts. I am an 80's child also and when I was 16 I used my "ID" for the first time. We went to a club in the city that I cant remember the name of. BUT I do remember that the commercial advertised "2 floors of disco and 2 floors of rock and roll" Can anyone help me with the name????
Is this the same place that had an indoor slide that clubbers could use from the second floor to slide down to the first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or