Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,851,474 times

Advertisements

Roller rinks that I remember:

Skate Key (Allerton Ave then moved to E 138 St)
There was on in Rockaway on B.116 St in the old movie theater, forget the name.
Chelsea Pier
The Roxy
Empire Rink in Bklyn.
Hot Skates in Lynbrook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,614,648 times
A very interesting story when Obama used to live at a six-story walk-up at 339 East 94th Street back in the 80's...

January 30, 2008,

Where Obama Lived in 1980s New York

By Jennifer 8. Lee

The six-story walk-up at 339 East 94th Street has seen much over the decades: generations of mostly white and Hispanic immigrants, nests of mice, drug deals, a police bust, at least one stabbing, a recent influx of young professionals, and a future presidential candidate: Barack Obama.

He described a scene that will sound familiar to undergraduates and others who scraped by in the seedy and dangerous New York of the 1980s:
It was an uninviting block, treeless and barren, lined with soot-colored walk-ups that cast heavy shadows for the rest of the day. The apartment was small, with slanting floors and irregular heat and a buzzer downstairs that didn’t work, so that visitors had to call ahead from a pay phone at the corner gas station, where a black Doberman the size of a wolf paced through the night in vigilant patrol, its jaws clamped around an empty beer bottle.
More.... Where Obama Lived in 1980s New York - City Room - Metro - New York Times Blog

Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 13,729 times
I'm reading alot of club names from the past, but I can't figure out this one I went to in the 80's. It was on Queens Blvd...I think and in Rego Park. Pretty sure the name started with a C

Please respond if you know

Old 06-01-2008, 05:01 AM

11 posts, read 69,111 times
Gosh, I must be getting old 'cause I'm not remembering any of these.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:14 AM

675 posts, read 1,250,614 times
Q-Club
Club Sandals
Legends
Callaloo
Club Crystal
La Best
Biltmore Ballroom
Love People
The Ark
Act III
The Scene
The Underground
Red Parrot
Union Square
The Funhouse
The Rooftop
The Tunnel
Limelight
Paradise Garage
Mars
Latin Quarter
Red Zone
Trafalgar Square
Skate Key
Palladium
Carribean City

Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,851,474 times
Teachmush... was it LaMore East? I remember a place on QB right off of the LIE, I think it became a strip joint later (Goldfinger's rings a bell).

Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 36,002 times
Default I played at Zappas with the New Seeds from 81-83

I played at Zappas & all the other early Punk Clubs in Metro NJ/NYC including an original band named The New Seeds. Does anyone remember them? I quit playing after a getting kidnapped,beaten, violently raped & sodomized by two murderers that got out from Riker's on early parole(http://www.bakotopia.com/home/Blog/jdamiano/29635) in 1983 after leaving a gig @ a club called S.N.A.F.U. in the Village

Last edited by Crazy-Joe; 07-17-2008 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: update

Old 07-17-2008, 04:19 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Its crazy how nobody mentions hiphop. That wa the premier culutaral movent that defined new york in the 80s. Growing up in the bronx, that was it than

Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,063,884 times
First club I ever went to was The Ritz. They were playing "sweet dream are made of you" and I was 15 years old. I wore a jeans mini skirt and some slouchy suede boots (would fit right into today's styles actually). Ya didn't need an ID back then! Couldn't believe I was dancing around with a bunch of adults in a "nightclub", but I had a great time.

My girls and I (all 14-17 year olds) would go to Magiques, which turned into Chippendales around a year after we started going there, a small club on First Ave and around 62nd St and hang out with the Italian guys from Pleasant Ave. Anyone ever go there? Must've been all kids if they were letting us in every weekend.

Then we switched to the Underground. That place was totally off the hook. Now its a sporting goods store in Union Square. We had some great times in there, til we all started smoking Angel Dust and were too f'd up, frankly, to enjoy ourselves or even know what was going on. Luckily I never went any harder than that drug, but that was pretty bad. Anyone ever try that back in the day? My whole neighborhood was on that stuff (that and huffing paint on roofs--never tried that one thankfully).

One time we stopped by the Fun House, which was just a little ahead of our time, meaning some of the older kids in our neighborhood had been going there when we were still too young. By the time we went the cujines (sp?) (aka guidos from BK) stopped going there and it had turned Black (back then many clubs would cycle patron types from preppies then it would switch to guidos and then to black). Well I couldn't believe how the place was pumping as we walked in, everyone dancing in their SHEEP SKIN COATS (remember those? lol) to the slamming extended version of "White Lines". The place was literally on fire, but my prejudiced friends (Irish girls were VERY prejudice against non-white people back then) wanted to leave immediately. Damn I wanted to stay!

Then there was the night my girlfriend was on the cover of the Studio 54 pass. This was toward the end of Studio's run, around 1988. Two of the guys from the rap group Fat Boys were there, flirting with us and my friend from the pass. We weren't interested HAHA.

Great WILD CRAZY times growing up in NYC. My daughter will be in the house til she's 20, or we'll move! Nah, this place has changed and is NOTHING like it was in the 80's--probably a good thing.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,063,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Its crazy how nobody mentions hiphop. That wa the premier culutaral movent that defined new york in the 80s. Growing up in the bronx, that was it than
The only clubs where I saw groups were:

The Circle in the Bronx -- Grand Puba/Bran Nubien before anyone ever heard of them

Roseland -- Cool G Rap

The World -- everyone under the sun

In 1988 my two beyond gorgeous friends and I went to a rap show in Rhode Island (I went to college in MA) at a huge stadium. We somehow got back stage passes (probably via the friends' good looks) and were partying in the dressing rooms of these rap stars.

All the different dressing rooms had a different type of vibe/party/food going on. In Eric B and Rakim's room it was quite wild. Eric B. propositioned my friend, but she wasn't interested while Rakim was very polite and respectful to us considering we were only 19 year olds, he treated us like kids rather than trying to take advantage like Eric B.

Bizmarkie tried to get me to go on his tour bus with him, but hells no I wasn't interested either. He tried to kiss me but no way LOL.

Doug E Fresh was also clean cut and respectful and not all f'd up and trying to pick girls up.

I think those were the only dressing rooms we got in, but the show included Salt N Pepa and I'll never forget the performance of Stetsasonic, with all their LIVE drums. That group was off the chain with that live drumming!

Was anyone at the WORLD, a club in Alphabet City on Ave C (I believe) the night there was a huge hip hop awards event and there was a crazy shoot-out? This was in around 1990 or so and I was shocked when I walked in and saw the paint peeling everywhere from the walls, it was a musty and disgusting place. However, I had no idea of the crazy show we were in for. My friend from college (the beautiful one who got us back stage at the other show) had met the guy from Kid & Play, the light-skinned one Chris Reed I think, and he had invited her to come to this show. Well every famous rap artist from the late 1970's through that date was there performing. I can't even remember all the artists but I must've seen more than 20 of the biggest hip hoppers of the time perform. It seemed like it was mainly for the industry though so I was lucky we got to go.

All of a sudden UTFO, the guy who did "Roxanne Roxanne", came up and everyone in the club started booing cuz he was a "has been" as compared to the other BIGGER stars that were there and who came later than the very underground Roxanne Roxanne type of rap. Anyway, he started scratching it up nice and people starting getting into it and stopped booing, then he started scratching records with his NOSE and then he PULLED DOWN HIS PANTS AND SCRATCHED WITH HIS ASS. The house was ON FIRE from this. They were loving it! Soon after someone started shooting and I must say, Kid & PLay and their body guards were very nice about getting us out of there safely. I mean they barely knew us young girls from a whole in a the wall and they looked out. We all hit the floor as instructed and then they told us to RUN and the whole club is running down the stairs at top speed. What a crazy night that was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City