U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,170,257 times

Advertisements

that story was awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 AM

1,074 posts, read 2,327,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
The only clubs where I saw groups were:

The Circle in the Bronx -- Grand Puba/Bran Nubien before anyone ever heard of them

Bizmarkie tried to get me to go on his tour bus with him, but hells no I wasn't interested either. He tried to kiss me but no way LOL.
First of all, that's pretty great that you saw Brand Nubian before they were big. It must have been great.

Also, why would you deny an advance from Biz Markie? Is it because he picks his boogers?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM

405 posts, read 994,217 times
Ok..how many of you had the sweat shirt or t-shirt, sleeves torn off of course?
Many a fun night in the early 80's

Old 07-18-2008, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 29,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Joe View Post
I played at Zappas & all the other early Punk Clubs in Metro NJ/NYC including an original band named The New Seeds. Does anyone remember them? I quit playing after a getting kidnapped,beaten, violently raped & sodomized by two murderers that got out from Riker's on early parole(Somethings Here In Bakersfield - Bakotopia - Bakotopia - The Bakersfield You've Always Wanted!) in 1983 after leaving a gig @ a club called S.N.A.F.U. in the Village
There was a club I think was called HEAT? It was on west side beyond 6th ave near the meat/butchers markets (Give me a break - it's been some 15 years ago at least), they always had a large open air burber by the waiting line. The Plasmatics played there a lot as did the Pretnders and more. It was my favorite club to chill at.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Roller rinks that I remember:
Empire Rink in Bklyn.
When did Empire close???

Old 07-18-2008, 09:37 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,112,482 times
Yeah I remember growing up in the 80's and 90's coming from the West Indies was not cool in those days now every black in New York want's to claime Caribbean heritage these days.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
luv

50 posts, read 150,807 times
This is a great thread. Anyone remember Peppermint Lounge?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 18,022 times
That sounds really familiar.
I remember :
Mars -my favorite down in the meat packing district (I think)
Roxy
Limelight - in the big old church building
China...something- on the upper west side
The Men's Room- lots of tv screens for the day

Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,868,127 times
OK-I'm definitely more mid to late 90's...

Arena
Limelight
Palm tree
Octagon
Club Velvet
Cafe con Leche
Kit Kat
Paladium
Essos
Les Pulet
Bentleys
Show Boat
Emerald City
Metropolis
Carbons
Pulse
Mercedes
Jokers

I'm sure there is more, some body help me out.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,491,996 times
The OP mentioned Latin Quarters. That was some great niteclub here on the UWS at the corner of 96/Broadway. The finest Latin women in all of NYC would go there all looking sexy and dressed up on Friday and Saturday nights. I used to buy the Times on Saturday night from the stand in front of the club, but as I looked at those women in their tight dresses and skirts, the breaking news of the latest bill passed in Congress or the balancing of the federal budget on the front page didn't seem important anymore.

Then one Saturday night this beautiful chick winked at me as she was going upstairs and I swore I'd go there by myself one night. A month later I showed up. There were always bands and artistes from Puerto Rico playing there. The music was fantastic and I even met some girls directly from Puerto Rico as I stood at the bar salivating.

I did go back several times but they closed at that location about five years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or