Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 19,078 times

Advertisements

Who remembers the following?

RollerSkating Ring called "USA" in Jackson Heights

Night Clubs;

Lamour East on Queens Blvd
Fun House
Heart Throbs
Roxy
Underground
Mk's
Mr. Fuji's
Studio 54
Tunnel
Side Street in the Bronx
Copa
Latin Quarters
Redrum
Tropicana
Emerald City
Red Parrot
CBGB
Powerhouse
Nells

Music;

Freestyle
House
Dancehall reggae
New Wave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 06:29 PM

233 posts, read 906,613 times
Default What I Remember

Rollerskating for me would have been "Skate Key"

I rememeber clubs:

Nells
Bentleys
The Castle
The Tunnel
The Apollo
Roxy
Underground

Music:
Old school or real Hip Hop
House
Dancehall

-Good Thoughts.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:55 AM

491 posts, read 828,592 times
Was a great time for music right before the metal "hair&makeup KISS copys metal bands came. I had a power pop band with a chick singer Colleen at the time played alot of Missing Persons, Scandel, Billy Squire, Kim Wild.

Yes lots of Cool Club's,

Poets, Jimmy Byrnes (Flushing)
My Fathers Place, US Blues (Roslyn)
Trax
Danceiteria
Gildersleaves
OBI South (now beacfront condos for millionares)
Zappas (Brooklyn)
Rub a Dub pub (Middle Villiage)
Right Track Inn
Finnigans Rainbow (Sunnyside, now a supermarket)
The Wreck (Now Cooper Ayle house in Glendale)
Blackbeirds (Baldwin, currently a stripper joint)
Copperfields (I knew "Doc" from Stillwater in Hunter Mountain)

Gov Coumo changed the drinking age to 21, added new DWI and caberet licensing&enforcement laws and killed every one of them

I knew this girl named Robin M in Elmont a roller rink was up her street. I cant remember the name of it or where she is today.
-Joe

Last edited by Joe L; 03-11-2007 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 27,769 times
The name of the rink was Wal Cliff, or after the fire, New Wal Cliff was rebuilt, the complex contained 3 acres and a huge outdoor swimming pool. It was a beautiful rink, and now, some developers have turned something that would have continued to entertain new generations, a good clean sport, into townhouses so they could make big profts, don't care there isn't anything to do as long as they can jam in more housinjg and take away wonderful things

Old 08-08-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 18,460 times
Arline, you need to school me because I don't remember Wal Cliff, when was that?

The only Roller Rink I remember in Elmont was Roller Castle, and that **** was classic!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 PM

124 posts, read 440,418 times
I remember Roll-a-Palace and United Skates of America in Brooklyn!

For music, I remember Lamour (in Brooklyn), Limelight in Manhattan, Wetlands and a few other places whose names escape me because it's 12:30 am.

RIP CBGB!!! I fell asleep there Halloween night 1997!!!! Oh the memories!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM

54 posts, read 374,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskool33 View Post
Who remembers the following?

RollerSkating Ring called "USA" in Jackson Heights

Night Clubs;

Lamour East on Queens Blvd
Fun House
Heart Throbs
Roxy
Underground
Mk's
Mr. Fuji's
Studio 54
Tunnel
Side Street in the Bronx
Copa
Latin Quarters
Redrum
Tropicana
Emerald City
Red Parrot
CBGB
Powerhouse
Nells

Music;

Freestyle
House
Dancehall reggae
New Wave
Oldskool, I remember the USA skating rink on Roosevelt Avenue, right off the entrance to the BQE leading to the Grand Central Parkway. I practically lived at the place on Friday nights. Heck, I even convinced my parents to give it a whirl at one point! How about the White Castle burger place that was right down the street? I also remember the Fun House and those little krazy cars that were located throughout the place for people to sit in.

I remember a club called Elephus located in Bayside. Now that's a blast from the past. We're talking of the days when the song Born to be Alive was hot. I also have fond memories of the Copa and checking out the Red Parrot. Do you remember Xenon?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 AM

491 posts, read 828,592 times
Quote:
=Stanford;1243423]I remember a club called Elephus located in Bayside. Now that's a blast from the past. We're talking of the days when the song Born to be Alive was hot.
Sight one of the Son of Sam killing's, I think its a fancy Japanese Sushi joint now.
Some of the music at the time was good, That "Guido" Disco scene was just awful in thew NYC area. Every asshat who saw "Saturday Night Fevor" tried to re-invent themselves, installed a Pioneer "Super Tuner" from Crazy Eddie and spoked wheels an came out of the woodwork.
I had a 68 Plymouth Sat

-Joe

Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 AM

54 posts, read 374,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Sight one of the Son of Sam killing's, I think its a fancy Japanese Sushi joint now.
Some of the music at the time was good, That "Guido" Disco scene was just awful in thew NYC area. Every asshat who saw "Saturday Night Fevor" tried to re-invent themselves, installed a Pioneer "Super Tuner" from Crazy Eddie and spoked wheels an came out of the woodwork.
I had a 68 Plymouth Sat

-Joe
I was just a kid back then. As a matter of fact, my sister and her boyfriend (now husband), took me to Elephus to celebrate my 16th birthday. Pretty amazing that I was allowed admission, being underage and all.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
I'm even older.

Anyone recall Rockaways Playland, Freedomland, or Steeplechase Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City