Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Are we still talking about this???????
No I think we're done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 PM

17 posts, read 64,733 times
I went to Astoria last summer to visit a friend. My sister and I were the only black people I saw the whole time. The majority of the population seems to be white (greeks, etc), latino, and Indian. I wasn't that impressed with buildings with no elevators, lol! I didn't really feel out of place though, I have a lot of friends who are different races and live everywhere from Chelsea, to Williamsburg, to Poughkeepsie.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,184 times
You just didn't go to the right place in Astoria - I assure you that there are plenty of black people in Astoria!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You just didn't go to the right place in Astoria - I assure you that there are plenty of black people in Astoria!
Quite apart from all the blacks living in the Ditmars and Steinway areas of Astoria, I guess somehow some people feel that one does not include the many occupants of housing projects in Astoria's demographics because of their type of housing. Yeah, no blacks live in Astoria. lol.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 PM

56 posts, read 415,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAsYouCan View Post
Just curious...

I'm African-American and I've been doing some research on the neighborhood (Astoria) in Queens...I've been getting the impression that if I moved there I'd be the only black person. I have no problem with other races or cultures...but it would seem kind of awkward if I am one of like, three black people in the whole area lol.

Seriously, I know it's like a Greek area, and some other ethnicities, but are there at least a handful of people of African descent? If you're out there, I'm calling you!

Thanks so much if there's anyone out there...or if you live there and you've at least seen some black people lol.
Let me tell you im white & jewish & im thinking of moving somewhere to the north or east bronx, (wakefield, Eastchester, Allerton, Etc.) I really dont mind living in a african american neighborhood, if the people are respectful to each other & would keep the neighborhood clean, i really dont mind living with black people even if im the only jew there.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 PM

44 posts, read 180,645 times
There are plenty of african americans in Astoria. The majority of residents living in the Astoria projects as well as Ravenswood and especially the Queensbridge projects are african american. Yes, I know Ravenswood and Queensbridge are technically part of Long Island City, but they are close enough to be included

Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM

9 posts, read 17,917 times
I'm Black and lived in Astoria for a couple of years. I don't recall seeing any other ethnic group but Black. However, I had a new born baby and did not get out as much as I'd like. I remember it being a nice area with a lot of nice quiet people. It may have changed by now but I am planning on looking into this area when I return to New York next year.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,536 times
I'm white and live near Steinway and was very struck with the lack of black people living in this neighborhood when I first moved here. Astoria is diverse - European immigrants, white Americans, some East Asians, quite a few Hispanic people, lots of Arabs, a handful of South Asians - but very few black people.

Here's the honest truth - most of the landlords in Astoria and long-time residents of Astoria are Eastern European (Greek, Croatian, etc.) and they are mostly elderly, and in the culture of Eastern Europe, in that generation, racism against black people specifically is rampant. That doesn't mean that it's even the majority of people, but it's enough that it can't be ignored. Even my landlords told my roommates they didn't like that I had black friends visiting.

I know this post is way old, but someone may stumble on it, as I did, so just wanted to give my two cents. I would love to see more diversity here - and there are certainly quite a few black families here already - but to think that this is not one of NYC's more racist neighborhoods would be naive.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 AM

142 posts, read 418,646 times
I'm black and I live in Astoria. I never see any black people and I feel that I stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM

223 posts, read 615,868 times
I'm Afro American and I moved to Astoria (30th Ave.) about 2 months ago and the Black population is small. Which is cool. We can't always have it be about us lol. However, I do see a few more Blacks on Steinway. It's been cool so far but I must admit that sometimes I do see the "wall" come up in some people's eyes. Some groups more than others but of well. It's their problem; not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City