Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend Lehman, I would recommend Cardinal Spellman. It is an excellent catholic school with a rigorous program, and they have a good amount of the graduating classes entering IVY League schools. (I am biased!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:00 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by na27 View Post
Lehamn is a baddddd school, I work there.
Recently NY1 News scholar athlete of the week was a Lehman HS student. I notice a lot of these scholar athlete's of the week are from so called bad schools, and these students usually receive academic and athletic scholarships to Ivy's and other top universities.

I also notice that a majority of these students are immigrants, and usually come from homes where English is not the primary language. They can be students of any racial group, and come from any continent on our planet. However it seems that they can get the best out of any school, in any neighborhood, or in any boro.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,331,512 times
I would really suggest that you try to get into Bronx High School of Science. It's reputation is better than many private schools and it's free.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Recently NY1 News scholar athlete of the week was a Lehman HS student. I notice a lot of these scholar athlete's of the week are from so called bad schools, and these students usually receive academic and athletic scholarships to Ivy's and other top universities.

I also notice that a majority of these students are immigrants, and usually come from homes where English is not the primary language. They can be students of any racial group, and come from any continent on our planet. However it seems that they can get the best out of any school, in any neighborhood, or in any boro.
You got that one right, DAS !

The reality is that despite popular misconceptions there really aren't that many "bad schools" in NYC,including The Bronx.The term "bad school" is actually a big misnomer.

School ratings and rankings are usually a result of statistics dealing with %'s of students graduating,% of students getting a certain score on state tests,% getting into Ivy League or something like that.In NYC,these kinds of scorecards indicate little or nothing about the schools themselves.

I teach in a school in The Bronx and since about 60% of our students either test quite low,never graduate from High School , wind up in prison or pregnant at 15 or 16 it is not a highly rated school to say the least.The other 40% though ? Wow,it's amazing ! Most of them do very well and score very well .A high percentage of that 40% get into the city's best specialized High Schools ,go on to graduate from college and many to graduate from top colleges including Ivy League.

The real shock is that just as the students can be broken down into either relatively high achievers or almost total non achievers, those two groups can be broken down into immigrant and non immigrant .The overwhelming majority of non achievers are 3rd and 4th generation or more Americans.The overwhelming majority of the high achievers are immigrant children or from 2nd generation immigrant families.

Race,ethnicity and color have nothing to do with it.Black kids whose families have been here for a long time tend to do poorly while black kids who are immigrants or whose parents are immigrants tend to do well.Hispanic kids whose families have been here for generations tend to do poorly while Hispanic kids whose parents are immigrants tend to do well.The Asian kids,almost all of whom are from immigrant families, almost all tend to do well.Same with the very small % of white kids in my school ,as they are all immigrant kids and most do well.

This indicates that there is nothing actually wrong with the school.The high achievers don't have a higher innate intelligence.They are not taught differently by different teachers.The differences are outside of the school.It's attitude , parenting and home life that is different.

There are lots and lots of really bad parents and lots and lots of kids with really bad attitudes and their failures have everything to do with that and little to do with the schools themselves.If it were the schools or the teachers, none of the the kids would perform well or test well or go to Stuyvesant or Bronx Science or Harvard or Yale or even NYU.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
While I agree with your statement, the issue is really about whether you want your kids to be relentlessly exposed to a whopping 60% of the school population of total non-achievers/bad attitudes/negative/druggies/dysfunction/gang etc. While I don't doubt 20% of the students in inner city Detroit public High Schools are high achievers, does that make it a good school or a school of choice when 80% of the students are just hanging out or worse? Nope.

And for that reason I cannot recommend Lehman, although I also knew high achievers that attended that school, and in fact because it was a public school had access to special/advanced programs that my catholic school did not. However, while my school had 10% total underachievers, and 90% kids who actually wanted to be there and learn, places like Lehman had well over 60% of the population that were total underachievers and had a much greater negative impact on the school and the kids wanting to learn. I can't in good faith recommend Lehman or just about any other public school in the borough (with little exception).

Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,153,092 times
There are a few good catholic schools. All Hollows. Cardinal Hayes.

Also there have to be a few more public high schools no one has mentioned. It's hard to keep up to date unless you work in the system, especially since the last few years there have been many changes and you have to factor in the rise of charter schools as well...

Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 AM

91 posts, read 310,718 times
I work at a middle school in the Bronx, and some of the better public high schools that fit your criteria are:
  1. Bronx Center for Science and Mathematics (great school, rigorous program and nice faculty, not the best neighborhood.)
  2. Dewitt Clinton High School (apply for their Macy's program- excellent program for math/science)
  3. Bronx Engineering and Technology Academy (heard good things, faculty really nice, located on a floor within the Kennedy complex)
  4. The Marie Curie School for Medicine, Nursing, and Health Professions
Good Luck and my advice- visit these schools so you can get a better sense if they have what you are looking for.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM

13 posts, read 32,684 times
Evander Childs

Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM

144 posts, read 322,740 times
Good schools in the bronx are plagued by bad schools nearby, bad housing projects nearby, 2/5 trains (who both pass through bad neighborhoods). Look into moving into another area and dont even try to risk it. This is coming form a Bronx Native and "South Bronx High" graduate.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 PM

39 posts, read 142,085 times
I've heard great things about Frederick Douglass Academy H.S. - a public high school with wonderful reviews. Check out greatschools.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: