Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,328 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have just registered at the forum and I am looking forward to reading your replies and feedback.

Currently, I am living in the Hells Kitchen area of Manhattan. Ive lived here for about 19 years now and in my eyes, affordable housing in the area no longer exists. Although the neighborhood has gotten much better, and most of the prostitutes and crime along 10th and 11th Avenues have been wiped out, along with that went the bodegas and the Hispanic community.

I've been looking into moving out towards the Northeast Bronx area as it is more suburban yet close enough to the city. I've seen a couple of single family homes in the Baychester and Pelham Bay areas. Research has shown that Pelham Bay is a GREAT neighborhood with low crime, beautiful homes, and close to the 6 Line which is a reliable line. The Bx12 bus also runs through the neighborhood which is great for me since I work at the JCPenney Styling Salon in Bay Plaza. However, the prices of these homes tend to lean towards the most expensive side and alot of the houses are not as modern as the new constructions in Baychester.

Now I have not found much information about Baychester but I have found a bit of information about other things in the neighborhood. For example, I've read on the straphangers.org website that the nearby subway and bus routes are far from pleasent. Specifically the Bx28 bus and the 5 Line which is pleagued with constant construction and diversions during the weekends, and at times it may almost seem like a ghost town. I have a 15 year old daughter and I want to ensure that she feels safe enough in her own neighborhood. However, Baychester seems to have alot of new modern homes being constructed like the one I found for $299,999 in Baychester.

I'd love to here any sort of input, feedback, ideas from people who live in these neighborhoods or are very familiar with the areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default Baychester

spans a broad area. Pelham Bay area around the 6 train isn't Baychester, but I would define Baychester as south of 222 street, north of Pelham Pkwy, east of Eastchester Rd and west of I 95. I wouldn't define the area as "bad" per se; it''s kind of quiet and isn't that well served by transportation (except for the 5 train and buses). Around 222 street you have scattered housing and further down south of Gun Hill you have big estate like homes. It can feel like a no-mans land that can be isolating. I'd imagine at night for a youngster it can be intimidating walking down a well kept but deserted sidestreet with cars going to and from I 95 and the shopping areas(you don't know who's driving around).

Baychester is probably safe enough to live under one's roof but may be a little sketchy for a youngster walking around after hours.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,328 times
I know that Pelham Bay and Baychester are two different neighborhoods. I am pretty much trying to weigh my options and see which neighborhood is better in terms of safety, transportation, and the overall sense of community.

rlrl: Thanks for your input

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default I would

say that Pelham bay and the area south of Gun hill rd in baychester are the best. PB has more transportation and commercial stuff than Baychester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City