Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 AM

32 posts, read 94,480 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Dallas, Texas and are looking to make a major move. We moved to Dallas from Houston a year ago for his job, but we are ready to move out of the south. I am a teacher and he is an engineer so we are hoping anywhere we go we will be able to find a job. I lived in NYC for awhile after college so we have been concentrating on that area; however, the job market for teachers appears to be pretty competitive. I thought about going back and testing for my Science certification since that seems to be a high need area. We love the Northeast..Boston area, Maine, New Hampshire. Did I mention that we HAVE to live in a city?! We also toyed with the idea of Anchorage for a year since they are experiencing a shortage of teachers.

Are there any fun, cultured cities that I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctx25 View Post
My husband and I currently live in Dallas, Texas and are looking to make a major move. We moved to Dallas from Houston a year ago for his job, but we are ready to move out of the south. I am a teacher and he is an engineer so we are hoping anywhere we go we will be able to find a job. I lived in NYC for awhile after college so we have been concentrating on that area; however, the job market for teachers appears to be pretty competitive. I thought about going back and testing for my Science certification since that seems to be a high need area. We love the Northeast..Boston area, Maine, New Hampshire. Did I mention that we HAVE to live in a city?! We also toyed with the idea of Anchorage for a year since they are experiencing a shortage of teachers.

Are there any fun, cultured cities that I am missing?
NYC is a FANTASTIC place to reside - but the dynamics of securing suitable employment, decent, affordable housing, good , affordable schools for your young ones, if any, can be phenomenally aggravating.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
what kind of engineer is your beau?

Civil engineering is big in the city, chemical is big in the Dirty Jerz

anything else may be needed by the utility companies, but there is not that many of them so competition will be fierce

Is he willing to change jobs?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM

We have no children right now and do not plan on any (knock on wood) for atleast 4 years. He is an electrical engineer. I am completely aware of the aggravation that comes with moving to NYC..that is what kind of makes me hesitant about just looking at NYC. The job situation is the most important. We are used to living in cramped, overpriced apartments..we have always lived in downtown areas. I have heard good things about Burlington, Vermont..any thoughts? We enjoy progressive atmospheres.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
We have no children right now and do not plan on any (knock on wood) for atleast 4 years. He is an electrical engineer. I am completely aware of the aggravation that comes with moving to NYC..that is what kind of makes me hesitant about just looking at NYC. The job situation is the most important. We are used to living in cramped, overpriced apartments..we have always lived in downtown areas. I have heard good things about Burlington, Vermont..any thoughts? We enjoy progressive atmospheres.
In terms of weather and lifestyle, if you like snowy, cold days and a less hectic pace than a big city offers, Burlington might be worth researching. Somehow, I feel that jobs might be harder to come by there - but I could be wrong.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Well your careers offer you a lot of options. I don't know if NYC is necessarily the best fit for you, unless you really want to come here or you really like it here.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM

I have also been looking into DC..is there still a major teacher shortage in DC?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
I don't know what to tell you about finding a teaching position within the New York City school system. There are thousands of substitute’s teachers working for the board of education that have their master's degree and New York certification who can't find a teaching position, not to mention the hundreds of people all ready are engaged in the board of education's fellowship program which leads to earring their master's degree and certification.

My wife and I are pretty secure since we own our own home, great deal of property and rental homes and apartments. We can afford to live here in New York because of the supplementary income my wife and I collect in addition to our salaries. Take time to weigh your options carefully.

Since graduating college with my master's degree and New York State certification I have been a substitute for the city for one year now. Teaching in the city is no cake walk. Discipline is pretty bad in a lot of schools and teachers tend to burn out fast if not familiar with that street type environment.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 PM

Hmm...that does not sound too promising. I have worked at an inner high school in Houston before so I am used to tough environments. I am just concerned with the amount of people wanting to teach in NYC. Maybe we should look into some of our back-up cities!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Hmm...that does not sound too promising. I have worked at an inner high school in Houston before so I am used to tough environments. I am just concerned with the amount of people wanting to teach in NYC. Maybe we should look into some of our back-up cities!
Last June I went to a job fair put together by the NYC Board of Education and was greeted by eight thousand other job hunters looking for teaching positions. I can tell you it was a terrible experience. I felt like a slab of meat with an expensive master's degree in my case. I was later told the number of job hunters looking within the board of Ed went up to fifteen thousand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City