U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:31 PM

225 posts, read 995,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I think that's kinda funny, the whole immigration argument. So they're leaving to escape it and we here in America are up in arms about what to do with the immigration issue. I thought Europeans didn't like Americans? Hhmm...

Europeans (including Brits and Irish) complain about Americans in between mouthfuls of McDonald's.

Actually, the polling shows that most Europeans love America--they just don't think much of your president or your foreign policy. Working / middle-class Europeans are particularly keen on America, the rich less so. Our new Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, is a huge fan, more so even than Blair. He holidays in Cape Cod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 PM

3,078 posts, read 6,155,723 times
I always thought the European investment in New York was due to the Euro and Pound kicking the Dollar's behind.

And what better investment than property in the Big Apple!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,068,160 times
From what I understand, there are a lot more home-grown extremists in England/Europe than here.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM

367 posts, read 1,512,558 times
I'm wondering if now that the eastern europeans can get in the west europe that a huge chunk of those that came here on green cards, via the diversity lottery, will abandon the USA, as it's very difficult for many of these new emigres to get well paid jobs with benefits, due to lack of language and many are not very educated (please don't shoot me down in flames, I know there are lots of well educated ones) and benefits are there for the asking in Europe, housing, free dental, medical, social security, that is why so many are heading for Britain particularly. I wonder if anyone has done any research on this. Just curious really.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 PM

750 posts, read 2,134,507 times
How can British or Irish people come to America complaining about being displaced by immigrants back home? Isn't that ironic? They THEMSELVES are the foreigners/immigrants in the United States and have to wait in line for their Greencard with the rest of the immigrants they supposedly look down upon back home. I don't know why they have such a big sense of entitlement coming to America like we're long lost cousins, they're as foreign as the hard working Mexican dude trying to make it in America, yet our society doesn't look at it that way - sad.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,995,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
How can British or Irish people come to America complaining about being displaced by immigrants back home? Isn't that ironic? They THEMSELVES are the foreigners/immigrants in the United States and have to wait in line for their Greencard with the rest of the immigrants they supposedly look down upon back home. I don't know why they have such a big sense of entitlement coming to America like we're long lost cousins, they're as foreign as the hard working Mexican dude trying to make it in America, yet our society doesn't look at it that way - sad.
Not quite. They speak the language and have a common culture. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM

113 posts, read 338,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Not quite. They speak the language and have a common culture. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Mead, the last time I checked the American government didn't bury it's head in the sand after Canadian/Mexican (have your pick) military intelleigence trained paramilitaries set off two bombs in downtown DC and killed 34 innocent civilians.

Don't sully Americans by comparing them to residents of the Irish Free State

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM

750 posts, read 2,134,507 times
A foreigner is a foreigner, it doesn't matter what they have in common with us. They don't have any more rights than a Mexican immigrant just because they speak English and listen to Coldplay.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 AM

172 posts, read 419,768 times
I'm married to a Brit. From what I can tell, my wife and her pack of friends here all moved because there were more opportunities here, compared with more rigid, caste-ridden olde England. It's also a more easygoing life here, the sun shines, and it gets warm enough to swim in the summer ... you should see the new arrivals, soaking up the sun on 95 degree days! Desperate!

And they all figure we colonials are way more simple and easy to bend toward their needs, which, of course, we are.

But don't worry, they all go back when they start having kids. Except us.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
Default Straight out of Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
If you think there are a lot of Brits in New York, come visit Santa Monica some time.

British and Irish people move to America because they don't have to learn another language (we are lousy linguists), because there are lots of jobs, and because they fancy a change. They move to insanely expensive places like NYC because they are used to paying extortionate rents, particularly if they are from London.

Also--and I am not making this up--British and Irish people are leaving their countries because they think they have become overrun with immigrants. There was a guy on the LA thread last week who wanted to come to LA because he thought there were too many illegal immigrants in the UK. Needless to say, much mirth was had by all...
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I'm currently thinking about a spell in NY myself. I've never really fancied visiting any other parts of the US, but feel that New Yorkers tend more like us Europeans than Americans from other parts of the states - I think we can relate to them more. Of course, that could all be utter tosh and could just boil down to the fact that NY is portrayed so often and so well on our tellies![/SIZE][/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City