U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:14 PM

91 posts, read 381,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishKarlito View Post
However anytime Ive been to New York and the locals are fascinated by us, we just take the **** and laugh it off..

Top of the marnin tya
I've got no Irish heritage but I "studied" abroad there for a semester in 1998. I think the locals were just as amused/fascinated by as as we are of you. It was especially nice at age 20 when I got a lot more attention from the girls for having an accent than I would have back home From what I saw of the guys who came over here, they got the same treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM

113 posts, read 202,999 times
Not all British people are like that. I know a substantial amount of British people who love American and Americans. Assuming that Europeans don't like Americans is a silly generalisation; particularly because British people, although European do not consider themselves so, mainly because Britain is so different from other European countries, especially Eastern European ones.
Around 75% of British Television consists of American programmes and channels and we do love watching these shows, so that is a reflection in itself. If we didn't like Americans we wouldnt watch!
I also have Turkish friends who get American T.V over there they love it too.
If money were no object I'd come and move to NYC, teach yoga and have a cute little coffee shop.
UK <3S USA! XXX
Don't stereotype and generalise its hardly a modern concept isit? And everyone is an individual!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 4,441,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
I've met many British people in New York and not a single one of them ever cited "immigration" as a reason to move to the US. Most were here because their jobs took them to NYC. And in fact, they tended to be rather left-wing in their politics and they gave off more of a "hipster" vibe and loved NYC because of its diversity. A lone British poster on city-data.com does not represent the opinions of all British expats.
My husband is from England and I have visited many times over the past few years. THere are MANY immigrants now in England, mostly from eastern Europe and they are taking over jobs. Some jobs in England even require you to speak Polish or Russian now. That is not right.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 AM

19 posts, read 51,424 times
If your husband is from England but working in the US, how is that different from a guy from Poland who chooses to come and work in England? There have always been jobs which require you to speak a foreign language - where I work we deal with clients from all over the world, and have a variety of people with foreign language skills in order to communicate better with customers.

Obviously I'm going to be somewhat biased and pro-immigration since I'm moving to NYC in the near future, but one of the things I love about London (which is where I live now) is that you can sit on a tube train and hear a dozen different languages being spoken. It really makes you feel like me feel like I'm in a global hub, and I hope and expect NYC to be similar.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Some jobs in England even require you to speak Polish or Russian now. That is not right.
I agree!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza986 View Post
British people, although European do not consider themselves so, mainly because Britain is so different from other European countries, especially Eastern European ones.
Its rather similar to Filipinos. Most of them do not consider themselves to be Asian even though they are. "Island mentality" I guess.lol

Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,694,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Not quite. They speak the language and have a common culture. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Mod cut: not necessary, thanks.

But at least their beer is much better! SO how can we get some Germans to start immigrating again? We need some better pilsners than the ones that we got now.....(mainstream that is....)

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-08-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,207,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdaleny View Post
i don't mind then coming over, im part irish, so they are welcomed. anybody is welcomed[ if they dont commit crime, or anything else].
I agree with you, the chances of getting mugged on the streets of NYC by an Irish or a British person is slim to none.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Im an English university graduate with a degree in marketing and Im moving to New York to work for four months next summer. Is this how all Americans view Brits?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,212,822 times
NYC has always been a hot spot for European people, I wouldn't be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City